Give Flanagan a chance?

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will need to ‘re invent’ his game. At the roosters with Keary being the main ball player Kyles role was to pass and kick to areas and follow the structure. With the rule changes ‘eyes up’ footy and a half who can bend the line and put defenders in two minds play well.
Defences knew Flanagan doesn’t run the ball so easily adjusted plus the fact he didn’t have a fend or footwork made it easy for defences
He will need to work very hard in reserve grade to be a first grade halfback again
Sadly it’s what kids are taught these days
Stay on one side of the field and do not deviate from the game plan and ensure the team gets to position ‘x’ at end of the set
Exactly that. He's a robot and not a natural HB in the Turvey or Sterlo sense and has low footy IQ. His starting baseline is even lower than the other poor HB in our club because he has no running game.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
IF He appears to be better next year it will be because Burton will carry him.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nothing more than a gut feeling but I think he will get the first shot at halfback. It won’t last long if he hasn’t developed some type of running game though. With no running game he is no threat of putting any doubt in the opposition defence and is a sitting duck.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Simple … NO , he’s not worth it.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Exactly that. He's a robot and not a natural HB in the Turvey or Sterlo sense and has low footy IQ. His starting baseline is even lower than the other poor HB in our club because he has no running game.
Here is the thing though, in 2018 that wasn't the case. He was a stand out in 21 games for Newtown Jets, so much so that he and Blayke Brailey made the Australian U20s, Kyle captained the NSW U20s, and was named ISP halfback of the year, with Newtown making it to the GF.

In that season Flanno ranked 9th in ISP for "line engaged" runs, averaging more per game than blokes like Tyson Gamble, Chanel Harris-Tevita and Will Kennedy. That isn't a player who is a robot with no running game.

He ranked 8th for support play, 10th for try assists. Of course stats never tell the whole story, but I watched about 5 or 6 of his games that season and my thought at the time was "this guy is an instinctive player".

Flanno is further proof that the gap between second tier and NRL is too big, and that the majority of players have to be carefully managed in their transition from reggies. Young players obviously want to play in NRL, so they aren't going to say no when a team tells them they can have a starting spot in their NRL team, they are going to say yes, I've got this, I can do it. When the chooks signed Flanno to be their Cronk replacement he had played a handful of NRL games for the Sharks.

There is an instinctive eyes up playmaker somewhere inside Kyle Flanagan, but no one at NRL level has been able to encourage it to come out. Either this is it for him, or he the right people get around him and he rediscovers the way he was playing in 2018. I don't really hold much hope for him in 2022 with us, because the reality is that giving him the time and space to come good would mean putting a lot more pressure on Burton, who though seems destined for big things, is yet to prove himself in the halves across half a season, let alone a whole one. We don't need to be piling too much pressure on Burts either.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who ? You mean “cut out” walker lol
Yep the same Walker that beat 4 Panthers including a” don’t argue “Cleary & fend & step on Yeo to put the Bunnies back in the game. Look at his season’s try assists.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sick of hearing the following:

Excuse 1: Give Flanagan a chance. He is only a kid. He will grow and develop.

Truth: Flanagan is older than Nathan Cleary. If he had what it takes to be a quality halfback, we would have seen it by now.

Excuse 2: He is in a shit squad. Put some decent players around him and he will be a completely different player.

Truth: He does not have the basic skills necessary to be a halfback. If you look at his actual skills, his kicks are always one dimensional, end over end. He does not know how to put spin or spiral on his kicks. His kicks are always easily caught by the opposition. He does not know how to get a repeat set or a 40/20. He lacks creativity and vision in attack. His passing game is non existent. You can put him in an origin team and he will still be the same as he is now.
Truth is he played with one of the worst first grade squads ever assembled. Truth is he is only a year older than Averillo who everyone is pleading for patience with. Is he going to be an origin half? Answer is no, but is he a
better player than he showed this season , I believe yes. I don’t think any half would of shined in our rabble of a side this year. He is worth a look next year when we have some actual first graders around him this year. Escprically as we aren’t settled on a half back yet

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He’s shit house. I hope he’s released in the off season

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Truth is he played with one of the worst first grade squads ever assembled. Truth is he is only a year older than Averillo who everyone is pleading for patience with. Is he going to be an origin half? Answer is no, but is he a
better player than he showed this season , I believe yes. I don’t think any half would of shined in our rabble of a side this year. He is worth a look next year when we have some actual first graders around him this year. Escprically as we aren’t settled on a half back yet
We can hope. Unless someone figures out how to unlock his confidence and get him to move on from the last two seasons, my prediction is he is still going to play poorly.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no difference between them . Both are shit and have had they shit excuse story for too long now.

Last edited:

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the thing though, in 2018 that wasn't the case. He was a stand out in 21 games for Newtown Jets, so much so that he and Blayke Brailey made the Australian U20s, Kyle captained the NSW U20s, and was named ISP halfback of the year, with Newtown making it to the GF.

In that season Flanno ranked 9th in ISP for "line engaged" runs, averaging more per game than blokes like Tyson Gamble, Chanel Harris-Tevita and Will Kennedy. That isn't a player who is a robot with no running game.

He ranked 8th for support play, 10th for try assists. Of course stats never tell the whole story, but I watched about 5 or 6 of his games that season and my thought at the time was "this guy is an instinctive player".

Flanno is further proof that the gap between second tier and NRL is too big, and that the majority of players have to be carefully managed in their transition from reggies. Young players obviously want to play in NRL, so they aren't going to say no when a team tells them they can have a starting spot in their NRL team, they are going to say yes, I've got this, I can do it. When the chooks signed Flanno to be their Cronk replacement he had played a handful of NRL games for the Sharks.

There is an instinctive eyes up playmaker somewhere inside Kyle Flanagan, but no one at NRL level has been able to encourage it to come out. Either this is it for him, or he the right people get around him and he rediscovers the way he was playing in 2018. I don't really hold much hope for him in 2022 with us, because the reality is that giving him the time and space to come good would mean putting a lot more pressure on Burton, who though seems destined for big things, is yet to prove himself in the halves across half a season, let alone a whole one. We don't need to be piling too much pressure on Burts either.
Playing against kids in the lower tier is a whole different ball game to playing in the NRL. Check my posts from late last year to early this year when we just signed Flanno and before he played any game for us. I called it back then that he basically a robot with no running game and no creativity. I saw enough of Chooks games last year to know Flanno was a dud.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Flanno could play a bit, but it turned he couldn't play at all. His only hope is that his head was more fucked than he thought after Easts sacked him and he's over it now. But it looks like he just can't play.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The only decent game Flannagan played was Rnd1 vs the Knights and that's basically it.

Pay packet and contract should never dictate who gets first role at the no.7 jersey unless you're already a proven superstar. Wakeham, Averillo and BBO are all far far far ahead of him and that's not because the latter 3 have been exceptional, that's just how bad Flanno has been

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Now imagine if there were multiple posters saying Flanno was a future Bulldogs great. Now that’s how I felt about all of you and Lewis.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
i know alot of work will be put into all the halves in the offseason as Gus mentioned. There are alot of skill drills to promote "eye's up footy" and im sure they will all be doing this over the pre season. Averillo definitely has the advantage as TB preferred him all year at 7.
For those saying Flanno hasnt got it, no one makes to the Australian 20's if you cant play. It is a massive offseason for him thats for sure and the trials will be key. He might just need consistent footy in reserve grade to get his confidence back also.
I am fan of averillo tho and i reckon he will only improve again next year.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Now imagine if there were multiple posters saying Flanno was a future Bulldogs great. Now that’s how I felt about all of you and Lewis.
I bumped into Lewis down the pub the other night.
Was trying to sell me some 6x9's and a head deck he pinched from some car he broke into at Coles car park.
He thought the car must have belonged to some Bulldogs supporter cause it had "berries" number plates.
All makes sense now.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His best chance is in the construction industry. on top of his obvious limitations kicking running etc,he is to physically weak to play RL