Official Game Thread : Bulldogs v Sharks Trial 27/02/2021.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My 2 cents worth

The good :

Allen - looked very good, will be great for us

Jackson - good, looked at home in the middle

Elliot - good, great try

Hetherington - very good, got stronger as the game went on, quick leg speed and looks very fit

Atoni - Man of the Match for me, showed what he can do, always looked dangerous. If he has a breakout year he will be an X factor for us

Dietz - wow, I know I know it was only a 20 minute cameo but jeez, he looked good and made a huge impact and we looked a different (much better) team when he was on. He has something we don't currently have and desperately need. Whether TBaz thinks he is up to it I guess we will soon find out but jeez I'd be tempted to promote him to the top 30 (if that's possible) and see what he can do. Could be a nice surprise none of us saw coming :grinning:

Shoupp - definitely not out of place and looked strong with his first few carries. I think he has the strength and toughness to play 1st grade this year and could be a smokey for centre/winger

All the second stringers that came on for the last 20 minutes and showed heaps of enthusiasm and really got us home. If this is the level of energy and enthusiasm these guys will bring to training, things are looking good

The not so good:

Right side defence - exploited badly and they easily waltzed through us for a couple of easy tries, needs immediate fixing
Katoa - slow service and doesn't play up tempo enough to threaten
Lewis - that one hospital pass he threw took me back to the horrors of last year. Is way down the pecking order now and barring injuries I really don't think he will feature much for us

All in all a good first hit out and the great thing on display was the typical Bulldog never say die attitude. We hung in there after a not so great first 20 minutes and defence was strong except for 2 right edge defensive lapses

Plenty of things for TBaz to work on and all the players will be better for the hit out.

Feeling quietly confident for round 1 against Newcastle

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thanks for your update.

Many Dogs fans there?

Looking forward to anything else you might contribute throughout first grade game :grinning:
Wendog so sorry my phone battery died! Was such a great game! They all played good and they looked fit! for me Cotric, Elliot and Atoni were the standouts today.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We looked alot fitter! In the game for the full 80. Will jag a few more wins this year.
Fitter and quicker across the park, that was great to see.
Hetherington Cotric and Allan are great acquisitions.
Our fowards were great and we have arguably our best 2 forwards from last year to come back. Napa should familiarise himself with Mounties he will be spending most of the year there barring injuries, Lewis too.
Wakeham looks more robust than last year and defended well. And I can see Dietz playing 9. He adds a dimension that JMK or Katoa can’t.
The only negative was the right side, particularly in defence.
Lots of positive signs.
Fuck it’s good to have footy back.

Last edited:

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both teams were only going about 50% at the start, but the tempo lifted a bit as the game went on. Our top blokes got nowhere near full tilt - neither did the Sharks to be fair. The most impressive thing for me was the intensity in our defence in the last 20. A lot of our top team was off the field but I'm really hoping it's a good sign for the whole club.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I noticed Morgan Harper was at the game today.
I also noticed how good it was not to have Tolman wasting multiple tackles when we are in an attacking situation.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Wendog so sorry my phone battery died! Was such a great game! They all played good and they looked fit! for me Cotric, Elliot and Atoni were the standouts today.
Glad you could post your summary for us :grinning: There looked a bit of argy bargy especially towards Hoppa and Flanaghan.
And the expected crap refereeing. This 6 again offside penalty will be a game changer....for the team the ref doesnt like that is. Did anyone hear the siren buzzer thingy to let you know there was a tackle reset? Couldnt hear it on Kayo.

Possible rort with that but some very good defence from us except for the 2 Sharks tries.

Reactions: ATT

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Glad you could post your summary for us :grinning: There looked a bit of argy bargy especially towards Hoppa and Flanaghan.
And the expected crap refereeing. This 6 again offside penalty will be a game changer....for the team the ref doesnt like that is. Did anyone hear the siren buzzer thingy to let you know there was a tackle reset? Couldnt hear it on Kayo.

Possible rort with that but some very good defence from us except for the 2 Sharks tries.
Every time Flanagan kicked in general play early on Wade Graham was making his life uncomfortable, that was the source of the argy bargy. I was both impressed and disappointed at the same time, that Hetherington didn’t give Graham a seeing to.
And now you mention it, I can’t recall hearing thatbuzzer for 6 again in any trials. They need to still give a penalty or start putting players in the bin for 5 for infringements on the first tackle. Teams will just continually infringe on the first tackle,it stifles the attacking sides 6. basically 1 extra tackle isn’t a big enough deterrent In my opinion.

Last edited:

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Once it became a grind the dogs rolled them.. Deitz showed us what a hooker looks like and Atoni looks a shoe in for his official break out year.

Hetherington impressed me the most though... carried the pack along with Jacko. Elliot continuing form from last yr.

Cotric way off being a centre, Flanno slow start, Waddel reggies, Allan is refreshing and dangerous.
I’d move cotric to left wing and give Aaron schoup first crack at left centre

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Floppa is bad
Very bad
Very slow and only going backwards
We will get annihilated down the right edge of it’s not rectified immediately
How the sharks ended up with a one man overlap going down the blind side from a scrum 15 meters out to score that 2nd try was concerning, in saying that it’s brand new on that side and hasn’t been pressure tested till today. Hopefully it improves and they communicate as they learn each other’s game

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think he can... Unless he is upgraded to the top 30..
This top 30 system is a load of bullshit.....you should be able to play up anyone from the lower grades just like the old days...imagine if u have someone in nsw cup u kills it and the coach would like to use in him in first grade and can’t because they are not listed in the top 30....and what happens if u have long term injuries...u can’t even replace those players from outside your top 30....just fukin bullshit and gives not much hope to those players outside top 30

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nice to jag a win in the first hit out of the year but if the 2 teams from the first half faced off in the second half I think the sharks would have won comfortably. Baz has a bit of work to do especially with right side defence. Even though though DWZ had some wobbly moments he did score a try, nearly two so I thought he did ok overall and will get better with more game time and combinations with his right edge players. I’m more concerned with Meaney who offers nothing in attack and is incapable of a strong carry. Ogden fast becoming our hit man. He was good with limited minutes. Our new recruits did well I thought but I’m not convinced with Waddell. Apart from dietz who was super impressive I was really impressed with BBO with his speed and energy. And I thought Roumanos did ok stopping that giant monster no 22 from the sharks a couple of times.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nice to jag a win in the first hit out of the year but if the 2 teams from the first half faced off in the second half I think the sharks would have won comfortably. Baz has a bit of work to do especially with right side defence. Even though though DWZ had some wobbly moments he did score a try, nearly two so I thought he did ok overall and will get better with more game time and combinations with his right edge players. I’m more concerned with Meaney who offers nothing in attack and is incapable of a strong carry. Ogden fast becoming our hit man. He was good with limited minutes. Our new recruits did well I thought but I’m not convinced with Waddell. Apart from dietz who was super impressive I was really impressed with BBO with his speed and energy. And I thought Roumanos did ok stopping that giant monster no 22 from the sharks a couple of times.
Ummm did you not notice Atoni

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This top 30 system is a load of bullshit.....you should be able to play up anyone from the lower grades just like the old days...imagine if u have someone in nsw cup u kills it and the coach would like to use in him in first grade and can’t because they are not listed in the top 30....and what happens if u have long term injuries...u can’t even replace those players from outside your top 30....just fukin bullshit and gives not much hope to those players outside top 30
You can get exemptions to play players outside your top 30 due to injuries and they've changed it from June 30 to Round 11 which is May 20 for when Development squad players can play.