Game one review

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
There were things tonight that I was happy about but there are also areas where we need to change.

I'll start by saying that our defence has picked up right where it left off last season. Perhaps there's even been a touch of improvement. I don't recall Parra getting close to our line without a penalty or unless we made an error. Our fragile edges looked very safe tonight. I can't find fault in anyone's defence. What was a little disappointing was that late in the game we got caught out through a lack of supporting the kick defence after RFM dropped the bomb from Fingersin. When Lewis fumbled and tried to kick the ball dead the rest of the team had switched off. Sadly that resulted in us losing. We looked to have Parra nullified until it happened.

The good things about our attack were that the forwards had the upper hand slightly. Nobody really stood out in my view but they worked harder than Parra and it showed. The big issue I see with our attack is that the forwards actually drift too wide in the attacking 30 metre zone. It's not a new thing. It's a remnant of the Hasler days. Even if our outside backs were outstanding, they'll fail because our forwards barely leave them any room to move. By the time they get the ball they're compressed near the sidelines. It wouldn't be a huge issue if the backs are running from behind them at pace to support passes at the line and inside balls. But they're not. They're trying to remain on the outside of edge runners that are playing incredibly wide. I saw that as a bit of an issue where Lewis would have to turn and pass back inside because of the fact that the backs are well covered because the defence can just drift wide knowing that our attack is compressed. Our attack on the edges wound up looking like a moshpit of defenders. We largely went to the left all night too.

I think the structure restricted what both halves were able to do. I'm seeing a lot of people accusing Lewis of being a hog, but Wakeham didn't really demand the ball much and only really handled it when it was going through a few sets of hands. I think that towering bombs are going to result in less tries this year with the new rules surrounding tackling players in the air. Fingersin drew a couple of penalties by tucking his legs up when a defender was near and jumping into them as did Sivo. I counted at least two penalties conceded when Chrighton touched Sivo in the air and a couple on the other side. Unless our backs are able to time their leaps better, we'll be better served with grubbers out wide. I expect to see a lot of teams doing this to start a set with a penalty.

I find it hard to single out our best players. Jacko and DWZ both made a nice run each, but it was very much a team effort. Napa was aggressive but mostly disciplined, Britt almost gave us our best scoring chance with an offload (which was unfortunately thrown forward). Both halves got a repeat set early. Our previously fragile flanks were very solid. JMK played a simple game but his service was good.

It wasn't an exciting game to watch though. Neither team was creating much. For once I have few complaints about the refereeing. DWZ being called back for stepping off the mark was annoying when Parra were guilty of it too. But there were no huge blunders that I'm angry about.

It's not great to lose on the back of a couple of late errors, but I am happy with our defence. Our attack needs tweaking though.
Good report, and I agree with your observations. Parra rarely got beyond their 40 metre line - and this is a team lauded for its huge and fast outside backs, who were supposed to steamroll over our smaller halves. Ch 9 ran footage of how damaging Siva and Ferguson are with line breaks and ease scoring tries against tougher opponents. They were pumped for a big Eels win.

I reckon the club earned a lot of respect last night, and many watching would have thought Parra lucky to win; not deserving of a win. On courage alone, the Dogs were the winners last night.

Our attack needs some work. Maybe Foran can act as mentor, so we can get some value from him.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well with how things are going with the coronavirus. THis might have just been an extra trial game. Cause if they suspend the season for the time being which I think will happen by saturday at the worst. I suspect we aren't going to make up the games. And this one will be called a nonevent. So hopefully a blessing in disguise.
Well ... can say from ground zero over here in Europe ... the sooner the Aus government shuts down things the better as Italy and now Slovenia are getting absolutely fucked by this virus. Crazy that so many countries still have the football going on. Hope all that gets shut down before the weekend in Aus

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Completely agree, and do wonder what we did in the preseason. But then again, you could say the same about Parra because clearly they weren't much better than us and the only try they got was pure luck.

Thhink we need a few more games of them playing together to see where we're at. Especially when taking into account we lost a few players to shitty circumstances for this opening game. Do worry, just like you, about our attack. Am realistic that it's not going to be potent or possibly even dangerous until Foran gets back so all we can do is wait and see i guess.
Totally agree with your posting. The team will take a lot from that game and perform well next game.
I think the forwards were awesome and only bad luck lost them the game.
I was not sold on Wakeham's effort. He did not contribute enough and does not create opportunities.
I would prefer Lewis and Cogger as the halves.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If Foran plays we score 3 tries easily and win comfortably...

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought that Parramatta didn't really trouble us all that much.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Totally agree with your posting. The team will take a lot from that game and perform well next game.
I think the forwards were awesome and only bad luck lost them the game.
I was not sold on Wakeham's effort. He did not contribute enough and does not create opportunities.
I would prefer Lewis and Cogger as the halves.
I'm not calling for anyone to be dropped at this stage, but I agree about Cogger. I thought he deserved to be there over both Lewis and Wakeham based on what he provided last year. Wakeham might have been better served if he'd had a few games to get his confidence up. Lewis is obviously a confident player and Wakeham has some skill. But Cogger has the capacity to organise things on top of having a good short kicking game and a bit of deception in how he plays. He will get his chances eventually though.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The way it should be.
Can I say that I'm really enjoying this thread as I feel I'm actually learning something about the Dogs and the way we're playing. Unfortunately all other threads are full of people trying to score points on each other, or communicating their own grudge.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Agreed up until your last sentence :grinning:

We can't afford to wait and see. Pay and the attacking coach need to sort it asap...with what we've got...that sort of wholehearted defence can't be rewarded with no points and especially no premiership points.
Completely agree, and do wonder what we did in the preseason. But then again, you could say the same about Parra because clearly they weren't much better than us and the only try they got was pure luck.

Thhink we need a few more games of them playing together to see where we're at. Especially when taking into account we lost a few players to shitty circumstances for this opening game. Do worry, just like you, about our attack. Am realistic that it's not going to be potent or possibly even dangerous until Foran gets back so all we can do is wait and see i guess.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write up @Alan79. Fair on both sides with positives and negatives and doesn’t resort to utter nonsense of calling for sackings and significant team shuffling after Round 1. Any team changes will likely be forced: Crichton might get a week for his punch.

Obviously a shame to lose off a relatively soft try late in the game - apart from that we were in it the whole way and those who predicted a flogging at the hands of the slimy Eels - well...

Yes our attack needs work - but those putting all that on Lewis is just wrong. Wakeham was no panacea nor could he be expected to be in his 4th NRL game.

On top of that with the week the club has had I thought it was a gutsy performance - one which we should roll with some momentum into the Cowboys next week.
Even though we lost the vibe amongst the bulldogs supporters was quite good in general,there was around 5,000 at one end in the general admission area who started the chant
Parra’s body language was terrible once they couldn’t crack our line
We just didn’t have the polish to finish them off and take our chances
Elliott & Britt were pumped up to the max

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It was goose bump stuff to hear our Bulldogs chant.

Tough, resilient club and supporters.

We have our whinges, venting, suggestions on better players, coaching, tactics etc etc etc but no one comes close to our club and it's traditions and supporters.
Even though we lost the vibe amongst the bulldogs supporters was quite good in general,there was around 5,000 at one end in the general admission area who started the chant

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was goose bump stuff to hear our Bulldogs chant.

Tough, resilient club and supporters.

We have our whinges, venting, suggestions on better players, coaching, tactics etc etc etc but no one comes close to our club and it's traditions and supporters.
I was really surprised at just how many doggies jumpers outside the ground
We still have very dedicated supporters despite all the crap in the last five years
Definitely made our presence heard loud and clear
Very proud

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Great to hear mate. Better than the vibe on The Kennel :-). I’m looking forward to being at ANZ next Thursday!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I was sat in front of the left corner post where Ferguson was attacking and I have to say our defence read parras attack perfectly

In one instance parra shifted the ball quick to Ferguson and Meaney was caught out. Instead of trying to defend two men, Meaney gunned it for the centre whilst remis swung around and attacked Ferguson on the wing. Watching it live it was awesome to see the cohesion in defence.

Have to say though there were times where Wakeham was calling for the ball but they kept going to Lewis. That’s surely pays gameplan.

Also watched Mitchell Moses pregame peppering the right wing with bombs. We nullified them superbly. I never once felt like our defence was stretched. The boys were moving as one and I have to give huge props to RFM and RT, absolute beasts.

All we needed was some second phase play and offloads. That’s where we missed CHN.

Anywho I left the game quite happy and I honestly felt the game had a finals feel to it.

Hopefully we can build on it throughout this season
There was a stage where Wakeham pushed in and tried to dictate play and manipulate the defence with some short balls to setup for the following play. Lewis then came in and pushed Wakeham back out wide before aimlessly passing the ball to I think Tolman for a standard hitup and then going down a short side for a nothing play whee Parra had the numbers in defence.

This is the key problem for our side, Lewis has been given the role that Wakeham is far more capable of playing and Pay needs to get it sorted asap. Lewis racked up 72 touches and they were almost all absolutely useless because the simply doesn't think plays ahead or have the ability to dictate the play. His ball distribution is also very poor and him standing in between the dh and forward as a link does nothing but hurt the side.

I'm honestly concerned as all we heard during the pre season was Lewis talking it big about how he has the responsibility and he's the man, etc. The amount of touches he had tells me Pay thinks the same and we've pretty much structured a lot for our play off him with that in mind. I just can't imagine Shifty recommending this to Pay after seeing the way he played footy lol.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better start to the year then last year! everyone thought parra would flog us but I definitely think we were the better team.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to hear mate. Better than the vibe on The Kennel :-). I’m looking forward to being at ANZ next Thursday!
I know people like to vent on TK and a tiny bit of negative spin occasionally
But I take my hat off and respect those that show up to support the team
Nothing better than watching the game live.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I know people like to vent on TK and a tiny bit of negative spin occasionally
But I take my hat off and respect those that show up to support the team
Nothing better than watching the game live.
Very diplomatic of you mate :-).
Agree getting out there and cheering our boys on is important. Roll on Round 2!

budgie69

Waterboy
Reaction score
great article ... but what did you all expect ?? the two glaring problems we had last year in attack was ... Hooker and a creative half, we didnt sign anyone worthy to take up those roles .. not sure why Issac Luke was not an option ?
but if you dont change anything in your backline to improve then how do you think it will improve ? the defense is solid as it was last year but same as last year we couldnt attack . We didnt address these issues in the off season ... its disappointing

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were things tonight that I was happy about but there are also areas where we need to change.

I'll start by saying that our defence has picked up right where it left off last season. Perhaps there's even been a touch of improvement. I don't recall Parra getting close to our line without a penalty or unless we made an error. Our fragile edges looked very safe tonight. I can't find fault in anyone's defence. What was a little disappointing was that late in the game we got caught out through a lack of supporting the kick defence after RFM dropped the bomb from Fingersin. When Lewis fumbled and tried to kick the ball dead the rest of the team had switched off. Sadly that resulted in us losing. We looked to have Parra nullified until it happened.

The good things about our attack were that the forwards had the upper hand slightly. Nobody really stood out in my view but they worked harder than Parra and it showed. The big issue I see with our attack is that the forwards actually drift too wide in the attacking 30 metre zone. It's not a new thing. It's a remnant of the Hasler days. Even if our outside backs were outstanding, they'll fail because our forwards barely leave them any room to move. By the time they get the ball they're compressed near the sidelines. It wouldn't be a huge issue if the backs are running from behind them at pace to support passes at the line and inside balls. But they're not. They're trying to remain on the outside of edge runners that are playing incredibly wide. I saw that as a bit of an issue where Lewis would have to turn and pass back inside because of the fact that the backs are well covered because the defence can just drift wide knowing that our attack is compressed. Our attack on the edges wound up looking like a moshpit of defenders. We largely went to the left all night too.

I think the structure restricted what both halves were able to do. I'm seeing a lot of people accusing Lewis of being a hog, but Wakeham didn't really demand the ball much and only really handled it when it was going through a few sets of hands. I think that towering bombs are going to result in less tries this year with the new rules surrounding tackling players in the air. Fingersin drew a couple of penalties by tucking his legs up when a defender was near and jumping into them as did Sivo. I counted at least two penalties conceded when Chrighton touched Sivo in the air and a couple on the other side. Unless our backs are able to time their leaps better, we'll be better served with grubbers out wide. I expect to see a lot of teams doing this to start a set with a penalty.

I find it hard to single out our best players. Jacko and DWZ both made a nice run each, but it was very much a team effort. Napa was aggressive but mostly disciplined, Britt almost gave us our best scoring chance with an offload (which was unfortunately thrown forward). Both halves got a repeat set early. Our previously fragile flanks were very solid. JMK played a simple game but his service was good.

It wasn't an exciting game to watch though. Neither team was creating much. For once I have few complaints about the refereeing. DWZ being called back for stepping off the mark was annoying when Parra were guilty of it too. But there were no huge blunders that I'm angry about.

It's not great to lose on the back of a couple of late errors, but I am happy with our defence. Our attack needs tweaking though.
Our defense was ok, Parra’s attack was on par with ours. The top teams would have put 40 on us last night, let’s be honest here. We lack across the board. Tolman can’t scoop a ball up to score a try ffs. Time to sack Pay, he’s had enough time to prove he can’t coach. Remis is a damn good winger not a centre, although we can’t really tell as the boys can’t pass more then twice in a play. All I recall from this game is mistake after mistake in attack, which was mainly pass it to a forward or Lewis to pass it to a forward or kick.