Opinion Full Metal Racket // Short Fast Loud

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Machine Head are playing the Enmore again on 20th July. The band is really losing is but I went to their last gig and it was one of the best I've been to.
Appropriate area... half of Newtown with their vegan soy lates will probably attend.

I've all but given up on the Enmore as a venue. How the fuck does it take over 5 years to renovate a bloody toilet block, and it STILL wasn't done last time I attended.

It's like the owners clearly don't give a fuck about the place, but rather the money they can make from it.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
lol

Enmore Theatre is easily the best venue in Sydney. Who gives a shit about their toilets? I actually don't even remember what they look like so it can't have been bad enough to make an impression.

I'm interested in going to Machine Head but man there are too many gigs lately and they are all so expensive. I just shelled out $100 to see bloody Amon Amarth at the fkn Roundhouse and I still really want to get tickets to Mastodon/Gojira and Incubus.

It makes me sad how expensive gigs are now.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Enmore I normally attend for Comedy Festival shows. We are talking about a place that decades ago had the floor collapse at a Linkin Park show, and the upper level was flexing badly. I was there for it :D

Personally the best venue in Sydney would be The Roundhouse in my opinion. Parking might be a bitch but you're close to the action and the sound system is second to none.

Horden isn't too bad either.

Ted Nü-Djent

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enmore I normally attend for Comedy Festival shows. We are talking about a place that decades ago had the floor collapse at a Linkin Park show, and the upper level was flexing badly. I was there for it :D

Personally the best venue in Sydney would be The Roundhouse in my opinion. Parking might be a bitch but you're close to the action and the sound system is second to none.

Horden isn't too bad either.
Roundhouse is garb. The Metro and Bald Faced Stag for mine. Manning Bar too.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Lycanthrope album is fucking sick. Some seriously good tunes

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Roundhouse is garb. The Metro and Bald Faced Stag for mine. Manning Bar too.
Agree with all 3. My only issue with the Bald Faced Stag is when they have a sold out gig. Then you have to wait in line for a long time while they check every ticket. It's stupid that they never really have a proper ticket scanner most of the time. They print out a list of names of people who bought tickets then compare your name on the ticket with the list. At the quiet gigs you could show them a blank piece of paper. They'd glance at it once then let you in.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Parkway are dropping a new track on Feb 27 called Wishing Wells.

Little teaser posted on their social media. I’m all aboard the hype train. Sounds huge.
The teaser sounds friggin' amazing.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Pretty sure I have t listened to any all the way through. They’re tight live though.
Seen them live twice. First time was at the No Sleep Til Festival back in 2011. They played on the Hordern Pavilion stage and filled the room. It was brilliant and there was only a few dickheads around. Second time was at the PCYC in Bateau Bay shortly after they released IRE. They were excellent but the crowd was full of dickheads. A mixture of 18 year old body builders and 16 year old skinny arseholes who thought that karate in the mosh was a good idea. A few of them were doing the Simpsons spinning arm things. On the plus side I got to flatten a few teenagers. Nothing quite stops karate in the mosh like a 110kg shoulder charge.

Ted Nü-Djent

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with all 3. My only issue with the Bald Faced Stag is when they have a sold out gig. Then you have to wait in line for a long time while they check every ticket. It's stupid that they never really have a proper ticket scanner most of the time. They print out a list of names of people who bought tickets then compare your name on the ticket with the list. At the quiet gigs you could show them a blank piece of paper. They'd glance at it once then let you in.
Yeah but the burgers at the Baldy are fucking stellar.

Ted Nü-Djent

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seen them live twice. First time was at the No Sleep Til Festival back in 2011. They played on the Hordern Pavilion stage and filled the room. It was brilliant and there was only a few dickheads around. Second time was at the PCYC in Bateau Bay shortly after they released IRE. They were excellent but the crowd was full of dickheads. A mixture of 18 year old body builders and 16 year old skinny arseholes who thought that karate in the mosh was a good idea. A few of them were doing the Simpsons spinning arm things. On the plus side I got to flatten a few teenagers. Nothing quite stops karate in the mosh like a 110kg shoulder charge.
I was at that No Sleep show. Good times.

Ted Nü-Djent

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mates had that lineup issue at Cattle Decapitation on Friday night too. Apparently they dropped the ball big time on Friday night. I went to the Newy show at the Cambridge and TBH, I don’t even think anyone even asked to see my ticket.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah but the burgers at the Baldy are fucking stellar.
I still haven't tried them. I usually go to Burgers by Josh at the Annandale before the gig. The chips at Baldy are great though.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Why don't people love the Roundhouse? Soundwise it's one of the best venues in Sydney!

Is it the accessbility?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why don't people love the Roundhouse? Soundwise it's one of the best venues in Sydney!

Is it the accessbility?
Yep. I do like the Roundhouse but it's a bit of a bitch to get to.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
RH is not a bad venue tbh. If i had to choose:

1. Manning bar
2. BFS
3. Metro/hordern cant decide

Hideaway bar and the valve are awesome for smaller shows.

As far as shit, that venue at fox studios (cant remember name) takes the cake. Shit vibe. Shit sound. Shit management. I saw Grave, Wehrmacht and Primate there and there were like 20 people lol.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

1. Manning bar
2. BFS

As far as shit, that venue at fox studios (cant remember name) takes the cake. Shit vibe. Shit sound. Shit management. I saw Grave, Wehrmacht and Primate there and there were like 20 people lol.
The Hifi is the venue you're thinking of. I've been to 2 gigs there and hated both of them.

Worst was Black Flag. They had a series of bands and each band was louder than the last. By the time Black Flag came on it felt like I was going to throw up from the vibrations. It's a box of a venue and sound just reflects off the walls creating distortion and reverb. It's a horrible venue.

The other was Soilwork. They kept the sound levels down so it wasn't as bad but it was still shit and there was only about 60 people there. Didn't help that it was on a Monday night and when I arrived (long before the bands started playing), they were already completely sold out of merchandise. Poor tour management across the board.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

1. Manning bar
2. BFS

Wasn't that called The Forum at one stage (now called Max Watts). It's directly opposite the Horden, and 2 levels in a U shape plus a sunken dance floor?

I saw All That Remains there years ago. Sound and layout is fucking shit. It's like sound just bounces everywhere in there. Plus it's steamy as fuck.

Met Phil Labonte and Oli Herbert outside the venue and ended up having a beer with them. Really nice bunch of blokes actually.