Freddy & Joey on Matt Burton

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Seems weird hey lol but nevertheless he is not leading or creating for the team as he needs to and his defence has fallen off too.

For a player who appears to be so gifted, he looks disinterested.
Still have faith he will find the kind of form he is capable of tho :grinning:
Does anyone in the team look interested ?

I’ve never seen a more pathetic bunch of footballers

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
some of moe’s comments relate to Gus’ comments on 100% footy where he was asked the same question by Gallen. Gus’ response was pretty much what moe said, “he needs to have xyz around him” haha but Gus didn’t say he needed a better coach.
Gus has to say that publicly though even if he thinks otherwise. He can't just hammer Burton or any other player publicly and throw them under the bus to create another controversy. Likewise he can't be too honest about Ciraldo's coaching even if he wants to..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I will say that alot of the shit selections by Freddy didn't generally revolve around the halves over the years. Stefano and TPJ for example.

When they talk about halves I tend to agree with what they have to say more often than not, as they played those positions at an elite level. Freddy also played 6 and centre, so as much as I don't like the bloke hes more than likely right.
I disagree. Look at this year.. Cleary/Luai with Hynes on the bench.. Moses/Luai with Cook on the bench.. Then Moses/Walker with Gutho on the bench..

A great half like him should know you shouldn't chop and change your halves combos every game. How did Hynes go from the 3rd best half in his eyes in game 1 to not even in the 17 after Cleary got hurt for game 2? He fucked Hynes over massively.

I'm not saying he's wrong about this. Time will tell about that. I'm just saying he's proven to say and do some bizarre things, even when talking about halves... Joey and Freddy were pushing for us to sign and play Josh Reynolds every week in the halves..

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He really was. Burton would be non existent for practically 90% of the game but have a couple of good moments that lead to points. A big run run, a big bomb, whatever. It's the same story here however without the protection of the Panther system his lack of basics are exposed even more.

Karl and O'Neill should be groomed as our future 5/8's, both of them have far better fundamental skills as a half than Burton ever did at their age. Instead we fucked Karl around with that stupid Hail Mary halfback play and we've now somehow decided he's a lock while O'Neill who should've been playing reserve grade was getting fucked around because of Reynolds and BBO who's fucking hopeless.
As I said about Reynolds, the most selfish person in the NRL.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We all know a left edge of JAC, Kikau & Burton would be lethal .. and right now we need as much lethal as we can get.
The LHS next year will be JAC (W), Xerri (C), Kikau (2ndR) and Burton (5/8).
And it will be lethal, fast as fark and powerful as a locomotive.

Always a Bulldog

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Does anyone in the team look interested ?

I’ve never seen a more pathetic bunch of footballers
True but the threads about Burto so he cops it today ;)

Does everyone realise with all the "issues" noted and all the "excuses"/"reasons why our collective individuals and the team" etc etc etc ...they all really do come back to coaching responsibilites to a large degree unfortunately.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The LHS next year will be JAC (W), Xerri (C), Kikau (2ndR) and Burton (5/8).
And it will be lethal, fast as fark and powerful as a locomotive.

Always a Bulldog
There’s still question marks on that, how Xerri comes back after 4 years, I know he’s training like a man possessed, but there’s nothing like game time … whether Burtons going to go next level and prove he can consistently be an elite 6 ….

But you’re right … if it clicks, it will be lethal … I’m looking forward to seeing that LHS ..

Now, how does the RHS look ? ..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There’s still question marks on that, how Xerri comes back after 4 years, I know he’s training like a man possessed, but there’s nothing like game time … whether Burtons going to go next level and prove he can consistently be an elite 6 ….

But you’re right … if it clicks, it will be lethal … I’m looking forward to seeing that LHS ..
Very little in life is guaranteed, death and taxes I think is how it goes, but I have a high level of confidence.

Now, how does the RHS look ? ..
That's the interesting side, maybe something like Kiraz (W) Burns (C) Preston (2ndR) and Sexton (1/2). Again nothing is guaranteed but personally I think Crichton will make a quality fullback. But if it turns out better for us then a RHS with him a centre is quality anyway.

Always a Bulldog

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Very little in life is guaranteed, death and taxes I think is how it goes, but I have a high level of confidence.

That's the interesting side, maybe something like Kiraz (W) Burns (C) Preston (2ndR) and Sexton (1/2). Again nothing is guaranteed but personally I think Crichton will make a quality fullback. But if it turns out better for us then a RHS with him a centre is quality anyway.

Always a Bulldog
That gives us zero pace on our right edge, no chance we line up like that at all.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Last edited:

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whenever Luai was in Origin or cleary out, Burton was at 6 for Riff and he killed it.

Your point isn't actually a point. Burton played 6 all his junior career. Ain't a project douche
Only standout I remember when Cleary and Luai was out was Sean O’Sullivan. Only thing I remember from Burton at the Panthers was his tackle evasion in the CENTRES!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Who wouldn’t but sadly we need to grow our own or get them on potential (Burton) and hope they become what we need
Our only hope is that he along with Sexton have a great off-season unlocking eachothers game.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Taffe was brought in to play in the halves tbh. Gus in 100% said Burton needs to make the halves his. So he really hasn’t cemented his position and so he shouldn’t. He either plays centre or fb. We will wait and see. Happy to see him stay at 6 for half a year next year and if it isn’t working then time for a change. If he has a sook then he can fuck off to another team.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Whatever you think of Freddy as a coach I think he’s more than qualified to comment on this discussion considering he was started his career as a centre and finished as a 5/8th, he also won premierships and played for Australia in both positions so I don’t think there are many people who understand the nuances and intangibles better than Freddy

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just a suggestion for a position he is maybe more suited to \_(ツ)_/¯.

Will have to learn to tackle no matter where he plays if he wants to be the complete player.

Lock may be easier for him to learn defence? He can just apply himself in defence and have a bit more time bc he is slow to react to guys in front of him?
He'll be alright at 6.. he is still 23. PLENTY of footy to come.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Taffe was brought in to play in the halves tbh. Gus in 100% said Burton needs to make the halves his. So he really hasn’t cemented his position and so he shouldn’t. He either plays centre or fb. We will wait and see. Happy to see him stay at 6 for half a year next year and if it isn’t working then time for a change. If he has a sook then he can fuck off to another team.
Yeah, I thought Gus would answer straight out that Burto is a number 6 but he definitely left the door open for a possible positional change if he doesn't nail it down by halfway through next year

XPICATE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton is a terrible defender, soft as. Needs to fix it up asap before he even gets selected.