Freddy & Joey on Matt Burton

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Burton can play a pseudo 6/centre role like he did in Origin.

Focus on running
Kick occasionally
Set up your winger

But generally play a lot wider and on the end of sweeps

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Well that confirms it if Freddy and John’s are saying he’s not a half………….he’ll be the bulldogs first immortal in the six jersey.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im starting to think that. He’s easily our best player, but that’s not saying much. A lot of our points come from him, but then again it’s not saying much.

he doesn’t seem switched on and doesn’t seem vocal. Good athlete, but yeh I don’t think he’s a half. Not enough scheming and thinking about the play and weaknesses in the opposition. People tell him to “run the ball”, and it appears like he takes it literally… like pick your timing and spot the gap.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ll take the two immortals side the truth hurts no need to get cranky about it
Considering how well they have both done with the NSW state of origin side, and some of the master stroke selections that where made in that side these two are obviously the fountains of all rugby league knowledge.
FYI, Andrew John’s and I quote “ Jake Clifford is one of the best Halves I have seen in a decade, he’s going to be a headliner in the NRL”
This cahunt can spot halves talent from a mile away.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Said he's a centre basically as he doesn't talk, count numbers or tell teammates what to do.
Freddy briefly mentioned fullback, to which Joey shutdown as we have Crichton and Taaffe.
What I found most interesting is the speed at which Joey asked Freddie if Burton on a a half as soon the guy in the centre chanted the topic to the Bulldogs.

It's like it's been eating at Joey as long as its been eating Assassin, Sexdogs and i.

But I'm glad this is now echoed by experts and in the media.

It was clear within 10 games last year that Burton would struggle to make it as a half and nothing has changed since.

Sure he's responsible for most of our points but it's not really great 5/8th play. It's flukey kicks. IMO the fact we rely on flukiness ratter than deft skill is the reason we can't improve.

Move him to centre (he can still kick from there) and if he agitated to leave, it would be a blessing of TPJ proportions.

I doubt there are more than 3 teams in the NRL that would play him in the halves.

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A lot will depend on how the fullback and lock roles play out - Sexton is not a great runner off the cuff player - Taffe from my memory was always a half in jun rep footy at Souths - if, and it is massive if, the forwards can just get through games not being trampled over from the 4th set of the game - the backs might start to look reasonable
I’m holding onto hope that because Taffe and Burton were 7 and 6 together in NSW under 19 origin a few years back they just might be a good combo. Probably a 20% chance of success but that has to be better than any alternative we have for 24?

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tyrone May was literally preferred over him at times when Cleary/Luai would have at least one play. He also had shocking games. I remember Penrith got flogged by the Tigers (LOL) and Burton was a huge reason for that games result. Who cares if he played 6 is whole junior career it hasn’t worked out well for him in that position since then
Yep from memory, Penrity managed to win some of those games but not because of Burton. In fact they scraped over the line. It was their system that got them home.

As you say, even Tyrone May was preferred over him. And I rate Ivan Cleary highly.

In fact, ud be surprised if they could even find a spot for Burton in their team if they were offered him.

Coz he ain't shifting Luai at 5/8th, or Chrichton and Tago from centre.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not disputing how good he was as a player. Freddy also moved Braith to fullback at the Roosters, which was a disaster and always a crazy idea. Even if he is proven right about Burton, I'll take his opinions with a grain of salt despite his greatness as a player.
I don't know why people think Burton would be any good at FB. Have they not watched Perham at FB.

Perham actually has a better passing game than Burton but even he can't chime in to a backline movement. Imagine how crap Burton would be?

Rubbish idea.

Our best 5/8th, FB and Centre has been Avo but we stuffed the kid and now he's leaving. Nice work coaches....

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Whenever Luai was in Origin or cleary out, Burton was at 6 for Riff and he killed it.

Your point isn't actually a point. Burton played 6 all his junior career. Ain't a project douche
He was fullback for a lot of it Uleh

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Burton probably end up at lock ala Brad Clyde (ish).

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton just doesn't look very creative with the ball in hand. When the defense is on the back foot and they're a man short on the right edge, he just runs straight at an angle without really trying to probe with the ball or dig into the line to create space, instead the defense just slides and easily contains him.

His left step is pretty predictable as well and would be more useful at center.

I would compare him to when Mark Gasnier played 5/8th. The thing that has fooled people into thinking he's a 5/8th is his big boot.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
23 yr old playing a shit team... Kid will get there when the rest of the team is good and he is older and smarter.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't know why people think Burton would be any good at FB. Have they not watched Perham at FB.

Perham actually has a better passing game than Burton but even he can't chime in to a backline movement. Imagine how crap Burton would be?

Rubbish idea.

Our best 5/8th, FB and Centre has been Avo but we stuffed the kid and now he's leaving. Nice work coaches....
I wasn't suggesting Burton to fullback. I was talking about Freddy putting Braith there..

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that he is probably overrated as a centre, sees himself as a 1/2 and would go elsewhere if he wasn’t playing @1/2 with us.
I don’t think that is a good enough reason to persist playing him in the 1/2s if he doesn’t pick up his game up over the next 12 months.
Without significant development in his game he would be getting paid too much for too little & potential blocking us getting a better player at the position or developing one(hopefully!!).
Yep but that’s the issue mate. Who is he blocking ?

Rhajab?
Hayward ?

I have a theory about Burton and how I reckon he could develop into a very good five eighth. Stick with me here because it may sound absurd but here goes …

Fucking give him some decent fucking coaching and improve him as a fucking play fucking maker.

A bit left field but let’s try it