News Franklin Pele article

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cronulla to Canterbury:
Why becoming a Bulldog was best for Pele

The adage says change is as good as a holiday and while relocating from Cronulla to Canterbury might not be one’s trip of choice, it was a move Franklin Pele knew he had to make to kickstart his NRL career.
After paving his way through the Sharks Academy system for the past seven years, 21-year-old Pele believes a change of scenery is what is required to reach his potential and become a full-time NRL forward.

Despite retired props Aiden Tolman and Andrew Fifita opening up more opportunities in Cronulla's 17 in 2023, the New Zealand-born prop said joining the Bulldogs was more about growing as a person and player.

Franklin Pele gets some miles in the legs

“It was definitely a tough decision, especially being a Sharks junior. I was there pretty much nearly all my life since moving from New Zealand so it was very hard to leave the area and my good mates that are still there,” he said.

“But I was willing to take the risk to get out of my comfort zone and challenge myself. I just wanted to try and take that next step and I think moving had to be a big part of that.

“I definitely needed a change more mentally than anything, getting out of my comfort zone and into a different environment. I wanted to keep growing as a person and not get stuck in the same bubble.

“I moved to Padstow a week before the season finished so it’s a big change to the Shire but my partner and I are enjoying it so far.”

At 132kgs and 190cm tall, Pele emerged as one of reserve grade's most promising props in 2022, scoring 11 tries and averaging 100 run metres from 20 games for the Newtown Jets.

Since joining the Bulldogs' pre-season training, Pele said his focus has been on increasing his fitness levels to give himself the best chance of being selected in coach Cameron Ciraldo's forward line in 2023.

The best NRL tries from the Bulldogs in 2022

“The 2014 team that played in the grand final, I sort of modelled my game to some of the players that were in the team,” Pele said.

“To have people like Josh Jackson and Ciraldo here as coaches and mentors and seeing them everyday, it’s a bit of a buzz.

“Especially Ciro (Ciraldo), what he did at Penrith and what he’s bringing to us now, with our defensive systems and things like that, I think it’s really going to improve my game.

“I’m also trying to find a good fitness level for myself that can withstand training and playing at a higher standard.

“I know where I need to be fitness wise and it’s just about getting that conditioning in and preparing mentally to be able to withstand all the hard training and get to the level I need to be at.”

Born in South Auckland, Pele moved to Australia when he was seven where his family settled in Sydney's Sutherland Shire.

A St Patrick's Sutherland junior, Pele lived his childhood dream in 2021 making his NRL debut for the Sharks in Round 12, however with the game being played in Coffs Harbour, the Cronulla kid said he still has an important box to tick.

“I always dreamt of playing at Shark Park in a normal season game,” he said.
“I got a taste of it in the trials last year but I don’t think anything could match playing a home game at Shark Park with all your family and friends watching.
If I do get the chance to play there as a Bulldog, I think it will feel different and be very emotional running out for the other colours.
“But I think I’ll be able to put all that pride and emotions into my new jersey and I’m looking forward to that if the opportunity comes.”
Whilst his short-term goals are more associated with playing consistent first-grade, Pele said watching Samoa’s historical World Cup campaign has him determined to one day represent his family in a blue jersey.
Franklin Pele during the Bulldogs pre-season training at Belmore.
Both of my parents are full Samoan heritage, so I found it pretty emotional watching what Samoa did in the World Cup,” he said.
“I was born in New Zealand and came to Australia at a young age but I’ve always been so proud to be a Samoan and proud of their culture.
“To see what they did on the world stage just made me hungry to put the jersey on and hopefully represent them one day.
“The 2025 World Cup is definitely a goal of mine.”

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This guy I’m telling u if they can get him fit ,ka boom kikau and pele
Making line breaks and offloads.
Let’s trot in support.
So pumped for 2023 we have so much room for improvement it’s not funny.
Even the flange might start running more

Jippst

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Fitness and defence, that's all I care about here.
100%
Hopefully he improves on last year ,defence may still be a worry as he got found out a few times ,but theres no doubt this kids got a tonne of potential..our middle forward stocks arent great so he might find himself in 1st grade sooner than expected.