News Foran happy to take pay cut

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Don't sign him til seasons end.
If he gets through unscathed sign him for $150k whick based on games played the past 4 yrs is his worth plus $5k match payments for every game he plays. Total approx. $280k.
Cap doesn’t work that way. That will be considered $280k no matter what. Match payments and incentive payments or any such structure are all counted in the cap.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like how some say sign him for 150,000 or 250,000 when theres no way in hell he will sign for that, even a damaged Foran is way better than anything we have and unless we find a half or five eight in England and i cant think of any hes our only option for 2021 , maybe Wakeham will get enough game time to make a spot his but i wouldnt be holding my breath!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep minimum wage for me or go use another teams Physio
Which he wouldn't accept as someone else will offer more, and I wouldn't blame him.. But like you said, I'd rather another club deals with his injury problems from next season.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Which he wouldn't accept and I wouldn't blame him but like you said, I'd rather another club deals with his injury problems from next season.
I just don’t see why we all think he’s great for us. He’s won at a less percentage then Lewis as a starting half for the dogs despite his talent. He just can’t stay on the paddock and he looked busted on Monday. I hope he’s fit for the rest of the season means we won’t get the spoon.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I just don’t see why we all think he’s great for us. He’s won at a less percentage then Lewis as a starting half for the dogs despite his talent. He just can’t stay on the paddock and he looked busted on Monday. I hope he’s fit for the rest of the season means we won’t get the spoon.
His presence and communication make a huge difference and he has a huge class advantage over the rest of the halves but I agree, our record with and without him are quite similar.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assume the club is looking at how many games he can string together and what his next injury looks like before deciding on an extension. Anyone know how he pulled up after the win ?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That’s all true and I get it. I am just concerned that the is no obvious gun half replacement available even for $7-800k.

And if he has finally found a good place physically and is offended by a shitty offer from us signs with someone else and comes back and smacks us..

We have Averillo and Wakeham to build on in years to come and playing with a fit Foran could be huge for their growth.

It’s an interesting problem.
I'd rather the club moves on from Foran, builds around Wakeham and Averillo and tries to poach a talented half from other clubs who can't get a run..

Players like Niko Hynes, Burton, Clifford, Sam Walker, Tanah Boyd, Crossland or Hoy, Dearden, Blake Trindall, Harris-Tevita etc.

Some of those would be off limits. But with all of that cap space and plenty of opportunity, surely they could recruit one good young half if they're aggressive enough.

In my opinion we can't rely on Foran moving forward. Whatever he can contribute the rest of the season is great but after that, I think we need to move on and try and sign a half who's best football is yet to come, not years behind him like Foran.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
His presence and communication make a huge difference and he has a huge class advantage over the rest of the halves but I agree, our record with and without him are quite similar.
For sure. And he should be the cheapest option out there for a quality half. His inability to play a full season though has made it tough for the rest of the team. If you could buy a quality million dollar player then having a cheap Foran would be massive. Sadly I can’t see us buying a million dollar quality player

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd rather the club moves on from Foran, builds around Wakeham and Averillo and tries to poach a talented half from other clubs who can't get a run..

Players like Niko Hynes, Burton, Clifford, Sam Walker, Tanah Boyd, Crossland or Hoy, Dearden, Blake Trindall, Harris-Tevita etc.

Some of those would be off limits. But with all of that cap space and plenty of opportunity, surely they could recruit one good young half if they're aggressive enough.

In my opinion we can't rely on Foran moving forward. Whatever he can contribute the rest of the season is great but after that, I think we need to move on and try and sign a half who's best football is yet to come, not years behind him like Foran.

Again, thats a fair comment. However he is 29 not 39 and has actually only played about 2 seasons worth of footy in nearly 5 years. If we are smart we will say all the right things to him about wanting him and keeping him etc over the next few months to ensure he is physically and mentally good, and then make an offer worth him staying for at least 2021 with an extension for 2022 if he plays 85% of games in 2021.

I said and agree with you that we have to look to Wakeham, Averillo and other juniors for our future but they wont bring the immediate success Foran will if he stays on the paddock, plus these kids will learn plenty from playing beside him.

Right now its no big risk as no other clubs will take a chance on him until they see how he goes this season physically, but the more he plays and the more we win the more likely someone else will come sniffing..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Again, thats a fair comment. However he is 29 not 39 and has actually only played about 2 seasons worth of footy in nearly 5 years. If we are smart we will say all the right things to him about wanting him and keeping him etc over the next few months to ensure he is physically and mentally good, and then make an offer worth him staying for at least 2021 with an extension for 2022 if he plays 85% of games in 2021.

I said and agree with you that we have to look to Wakeham, Averillo and other juniors for our future but they wont bring the immediate success Foran will if he stays on the paddock, plus these kids will learn plenty from playing beside him.

Right now its no big risk as no other clubs will take a chance on him until they see how he goes this season physically, but the more he plays and the more we win the more likely someone else will come sniffing..
That's all fair enough Baz. It's a very tricky situation to be in. I would argue that 29 is still plenty young but Foran has so much wear and tear that he has the body of a much older player.

I think it's fools gold with Foran even if he does play well as he's bound to get hurt at some stage but I'd love to be proven wrong and see him stay healthy for a prolonged period.. Either way I hope they wait til they've seen him prove he can stay healthy before making a decision.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's all fair enough Baz. It's a very tricky situation to be in. I would argue that 29 is still plenty young but Foran has so much wear and tear that he has the body of a much older player.

I think it's fools gold with Foran even if he does play well as he's bound to get hurt at some stage but I'd love to be proven wrong and see him stay healthy for a prolonged period.. Either way I hope they wait til they've seen him prove he can stay healthy before making a decision.
I said earlier in the thread that there is no way the board will be in a hurry to re-sign him. From what I have read the number one priority is to sign a top playmaker.

If that doesnt happen and Foran gets through the season uninjured then he may get a new deal with us.

Another club may swoop before then so thats another factor going against him getting a new deal with us

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he is serious about re-paying the club which he seems genuine about then he would accept half of his current contract.
I did read somewhere that money isn't really a issue for him and comes from a well off family so who knows what will happen with this.
His presence on the field is perfect for players like Wakeham and averilo

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If he is serious about re-paying the club which he seems genuine about then he would accept half of his current contract.
I did read somewhere that money isn't really a issue for him and comes from a well off family so who knows what will happen with this.
~400-500k is fair. I think if we're interested in re-signing Foran it'll be about that (if no top contracted half available). That's about half what he's on now. If he picks up another long term injury before the end of the season it'll probably veto him tho.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
coming from a well off family doesn’t mean he will be happy to play for less then what he is worth lol

I hope he plays for 400 k but I doubt very much he will sign for less then 700

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
~400-500k is fair. I think if we're interested in re-signing Foran it'll be about that (if no top contracted half available). That's about half what he's on now. If he picks up another long term injury before the end of the season it'll probably veto him tho.
Based on your version of the cap surplus there is 3 million left after we keep the current contracted players. If thats the case imagine if we could do the following;

1. Ponga $1.5 mil per year 3 year deal
  2. Grant $550,000 per season
  3. Foran Re-sign $500k 1 + 1 contract in our favour
  4. Curtis Rona $450k per season
Side might look like this

1. Ponga/Averillo
  2. DWZ/Smith
  3. Averillo/DWZ
  4. Hoppa
  5. Curtis Rona (assuming Smith gets a holiday, otherwise Smith)
  6. Foran/Ponga
  7. Wakeham
  8. Thompson
  9. Grant
  10. Nappa
  11. Jackson
  12. Elliot
  13. RFM
  14. Lewis
  15. Britt
  16. Too'maga
  17. Stimson
Not too shabby....We keep Foran to work with Wakeham and Averillo and have potentially the best player in the game at 1 who can play 5/8 if Foran is down, couple of strong wingers and a good hooker in Grant.

Dean, sort this out mate...

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
coming from a well off family doesn’t mean he will be happy to play for less then what he is worth lol

I hope he plays for 400 k but I doubt very much he will sign for less then 700
I would be quite surprised and disappointed to think we would pay him anything close to 700K
That sought of money could surely be spent on someone else without history.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would be quite surprised and disappointed to think we would pay him anything close to 700K
That sought of money could surely be spent on someone else without history.

Like who?
Have a look at what half is off contract and tell me who is better then him even at 50-% fit