Flat screen TV question

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree content has been slow to catch up.
If the Tokyo Olympics ever happen, they are supposed to broadcast in 8K, but not sure if that applies in Australia, I don’t know of any broadcasters who have the kit and spectrum to do that.

I think the TV manufacturers are taking gamers more seriously now with HDMI 2.1, VRR etc but how many of the gaming publishers are?

Classic chicken and egg scenario and annoying :rage:.
Highly doubt it mate. Which is a shame, considering the future proofing of quality has been in the entertainment industry for years.

Think of films that came out in the 70s (Rocky) - that have now been released in Blu Ray. If you stop and think of the ingenuity that goes into that, it's actually brilliant. They had no way to transmit this level of quality into homes or cinemas 50 years ago, but through the power of technology, we can watch some of the all time greats in sheer quality.

From a gaming perspective, I actually think they're a little ahead of the game now, than they were a few years back. The cinematic experience that gaming offers now has really opened up the market.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Possibly true but Sony can afford Dolby’s extortionate licence fees. More than 20 years ago I was involved in a technology that was multichannel (surround sound) for headphones. Was pretty cool for its day.

Dolby’s fees to license it were ridiculous then, I’d hate to see what they are now. Possibly becomes a competitive issue - if that license pushed up the cost of the PS5 by say $50-$100 it might impact sales.
I just found it odd considering Xbox support both DV and DA. Sony do have the Tempest 3D AudioTech...but I wouldn't know how it works because my headset is still out of stock and my Bose QC35 are literal shit lol.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I just found it odd considering Xbox support both DV and DA. Sony do have the Tempest 3D AudioTech...but I wouldn't know how it works because my headset is still out of stock and my Bose QC35 are literal shit lol.
I guess Microsoft were looking for an edge.
PS/XB are similar prices, yeah?
Maybe Microsoft were willing to sacrifice margin to increase sales - could be any number of reasons but I’d find it odd that someone would use a gaming console as a primary optical media player? That could be a wrong assumption as I removed disc players and put everything in the cloud a few years ago. Going to be interesting to see more 4K/HDR content come onto streaming platforms. Netflix has a fair bit already, Stan I believe has some but I don’t think Amazon Prime has much and I’d love to see Kayo migrate and show Dogs games in 4K but I’m not holding my breath on that one.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't mind putting up with the picture qaulity they they do what the where made for. Might be difficult to get you need to get there 2 hrs before shop opens plus is they have a good return policy if something stops working.
i thought the picture would be ok being q led

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I guess Microsoft were looking for an edge.
PS/XB are similar prices, yeah?
Maybe Microsoft were willing to sacrifice margin to increase sales - could be any number of reasons but I’d find it odd that someone would use a gaming console as a primary optical media player? That could be a wrong assumption as I removed disc players and put everything in the cloud a few years ago. Going to be interesting to see more 4K/HDR content come onto streaming platforms. Netflix has a fair bit already, Stan I believe has some but I don’t think Amazon Prime has much and I’d love to see Kayo migrate and show Dogs games in 4K but I’m not holding my breath on that one.
Yh both $749.....or $1500 if you missed out and bought from a scalper lol.

Haven't used Prime since watching The Boys but pretty sure that was in 4K, I assume most of their new stuff is the same? Is Kayo reliable now? Used it earlier and it wasn't all that good.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yh both $749.....or $1500 if you missed out and bought from a scalper lol.

Haven't used Prime since watching The Boys but pretty sure that was in 4K, I assume most of their new stuff is the same? Is Kayo reliable now? Used it earlier and it wasn't all that good.
Thanks re: Prime, I’ll check re: 4K. Don’t watch it often but because it’s so cheap I keep it.

Yeah Kayo is good but if on Wi-Fi you have to be on the 5GHz radio not 2.4Ghz, otherwise you’ll likely buffer and faster internet likely helps too. I’ve got NBN 100/40 and have no dramas, got BBL going now :-).

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Thanks re: Prime, I’ll check re: 4K. Don’t watch it often but because it’s so cheap I keep it.

Yeah Kayo is good but if on Wi-Fi you have to be on the 5GHz radio not 2.4Ghz, otherwise you’ll likely buffer and faster internet likely helps too. I’ve got NBN 100/40 and have no dramas, got BBL going now :-).
From memory you need to search for the title rather than go though the homepage as that just takes you directly to the HD version..or at least that's how it used to be.

I'm with Superloop 100/20...it's okay I guess. It does shit itself occasionally but I think that's related to the router and the area just being shit in general. Get about 11-25ms when playing online over wifi so I guess I probably shouldn't complain with that.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
@steve1700 are you in Australia or Brazil? I think it was you that was in Brazil but I could be wrong lol.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The new range of LCD TV's from Sony and a few others will have Micro-dimming, which will theoretically make them as good as OLED panels (Like the LG C9) but without the burn-in problem OLEDs suffer.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I actually saw my first 8K tv next to a 4K....

F. M. D!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The new range of LCD TV's from Sony and a few others will have Micro-dimming, which will theoretically make them as good as OLED panels (Like the LG C9) but without the burn-in problem OLEDs suffer.
I'm just going to wait for the new models...they look more appealing and may have ironed out a lot of issues the current models have. I probably shouldn't of used Reddit for research though, think I'm traumatised from the horror stories lol.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
chromecast is built in
You can always test built in chromecast and if runs smoothly your good I always thought they are buggy with no updates always a problem but maybe things have changed now.