I'm old fashioned, I prefer dumb TVs like how they used to have in the 90's

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
They use them for road design and cad drawings.
I just want it to play games lol.

I saw a concept car with the and it looks like some sort of space shuttle, people are going to be staring at the screens the whole time while driving.

Last edited:

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want it to play games lol.

I saw a concept car with the and it looks like some sort of space shuttle, people are going to be staring at the screens the whole time while driving.
Don't worry you won't be driving transport has been testing driver less car for the last five years at Sydney Olympic Park and no one has notice.

So you we be free to play games.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Don't worry you won't be driving transport has been testing driver less car for the last five years at Sydney Olympic Park and no one has notice.

Sounds great, I hate driving :tearsofjoy:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The idea of driverless cars is actually scary to me. It's far too common for the system to freeze up on the phone or computer to think that I'd entrust my life to a fallible system. Just knowing that thousands of fallible systems might be piloting the cars around me is worrying.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The idea of driverless cars is actually scary to me. It's far too common for the system to freeze up on the phone or computer to think that I'd entrust my life to a fallible system. Just knowing that thousands of fallible systems might be piloting the cars around me is worrying.
The way I see some people drive today I’m not sure which would be safer!

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
My old plasma needs an upgrade.
Looking at getting a 55inch.
Guy at the store said to get an android model rather than a smart tv.
Said the android version can download apps.
The smart tv can not.
I recently bought the new Samsung 4K QLED 55” smart TV and the Q6T Samsung soundbar to go with it and together the pair are brilliant, I’ve downloaded all the apps I need for streaming ie Netflix, Disney plus, Foxtel and youtube etc I’m on IOS and can operate my tv from my smart phone anytime like a universal TV remote. It sounds like this android TV you talk about allows you to use your tv just like you use your smart phone but at the end of the day you need to decide what you actually need from your TV regardless of what a salesman recommends to you, he doesn’t know what you need only you do! Don’t let them convince you one way or the other because they really don’t care what you need only you alone can decide that, do your research based around your needs beforehand then walk in and tell them, not ask what you need! P.s I keep my TV and smartphone needs seperate I mean do you really need a TV to be your smartphone? My answer for myself is no, as long as the smart TV allows me to watch what I need and my smartphone does it’s job is all I care about really. Hope my point of view helps you out mate.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When i bought the QLED I bought a wireless keyboard for it. I use youtube quite a bit as its invaluable for learning how to build stuff. Keyboard is so much better than using the remote.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
When do 2021 TVs come out? February/March? I'm getting very impatient :(

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Some new models are out and some are held back until debuted at next weeks CES, which is normally a massive show held in Vegas but all online this year due you know what. https://digital.ces.tech/home
Nice. I can't hold off much longer, feel like my PS5 experience is ruined using my current TV. Will just have to get a 55" and maybe down the track get a smaller monitor for FPS games if I can't adjust. Hopefully a few more options become available that feature HDMI 2.1, 4k, 120hz at a reasonable price or at least push down the price of some current models...doubt many games will ever run at 4k/120 but I think HDMI 2.1 is required for VRR?

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Nice. I can't hold off much longer, feel like my PS5 experience is ruined using my current TV. Will just have to get a 55" and maybe down the track get a smaller monitor for FPS games if I can't adjust. Hopefully a few more options become available that feature HDMI 2.1, 4k, 120hz at a reasonable price or at least push down the price of some current models...doubt many games will ever run at 4k/120 but I think HDMI 2.1 is required for VRR?
Go the 200hz models bro much better quality imo!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I’d expect prices to come down as new models/specs push through, but keep a close eye as some existing models will be withdrawn quickly too. 4K 120hz is very common now, HDMI 2.0 likewise and 2.1 growing. You don’t necessarily need a 2.1 TV to support VRR.

Specifically: PS5 video out = ‘VRR specified by HDMI 2.1’, but if a standard called FreeSync is supported on the TV, you should get VRR via HDMI 2.0. This is because the PS5 graphics chip is from AMD, who support the FreeSync standard (aka HDMI VRR).

So potentially you could save some money by getting a TV with HDMI 2.0 with FreeSync and that means the PS5 will send VRR that way.

You’re right re: content - it’s similar to how many 8K screens are available today but almost no content so very little point owning one.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have been playing Ghost of Tsushima on my 55" Sony. I decided to give it a go on the main TV which is a 2017 model LG 65". No matter what I did I couldn't get it to look even half as good as it does on the Sony. I sat there for hours tweaking HDR but just didn't look right, so I went back to the smaller TV.

Side note, finished Ghost of Tsushima tonight. Great game.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’d expect prices to come down as new models/specs push through, but keep a close eye as some existing models will be withdrawn quickly too. 4K 120hz is very common now, HDMI 2.0 likewise and 2.1 growing. You don’t necessarily need a 2.1 TV to support VRR.

Specifically: PS5 video out = ‘VRR specified by HDMI 2.1’, but if a standard called FreeSync is supported on the TV, you should get VRR via HDMI 2.0. This is because the PS5 graphics chip is from AMD, who support the FreeSync standard (aka HDMI VRR).

So potentially you could save some money by getting a TV with HDMI 2.0 with FreeSync and that means the PS5 will send VRR that way.

You’re right re: content - it’s similar to how many 8K screens are available today but almost no content so very little point owning one.
Yep. FreeSync compatible TV is always another option if you don't care about 120fps.

I'm using the Sony X9000h which updated to HDMI 2.1 not long ago but it doesn't have VRR support yet. Sony said they'll add it soon.

The other issue is that it only has 2 ports capable of HDMI 2.1 and one of those is the ARC port. So if I want to use HDMI 2.1 on my XSX and my PS5 then I have to hot swap them.

As VRR isn't on the TV yet, I've just kept the PS5 in the 2.0 slot as I don't have any PS5 games that run at 120fps.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yep. FreeSync compatible TV is always another option if you don't care about 120fps.

I'm using the Sony X9000h which updated to HDMI 2.1 not long ago but it doesn't have VRR support yet. Sony said they'll add it soon.

The other issue is that it only has 2 ports capable of HDMI 2.1 and one of those is the ARC port. So if I want to use HDMI 2.1 on my XSX and my PS5 then I have to hot swap them.

As VRR isn't on the TV yet, I've just kept the PS5 in the 2.0 slot as I don't have any PS5 games that run at 120fps.
It’s good to see more updates being pushed over the air via firmware now. It took many manufacturers too long to make it easy - sure you could always download firmware and update via USB but why not make it easier like most apps these days. Possibly because they’re guilty of model churn - moving on to the next gen screen - no money in soft/firmware, only rep.