CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Nope. All made in China.
Then the models we get must be slightly different? Was looking at bringing one in from the US for the PS5 because it's a fair bit cheaper than anything here.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Then the models we get must be slightly different? Was looking at bringing one in from the US for the PS5 because it's a fair bit cheaper than anything here.
Yes, they assign different model numbers for different markets due to differing power supplies and other factors. The reason they’re cheaper in the US is market size (volume pricing) and taxes (import duties). Just be careful on any import duties on anything you bring into Australia, make sure it’s quoted in the price you pay along with freight. Overall quality and components the same though and has improved quite a bit in the last 15 years largely driven by quality standards from the likes of Apple, so reliability wise you should be fine if you can get the right price.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, they assign different model numbers for different markets due to differing power supplies and other factors. The reason they’re cheaper in the US is market size (volume pricing) and taxes (import duties). Just be careful on any import duties on anything you bring into Australia, make sure it’s quoted in the price you pay along with freight. Overall quality and components the same though and has improved quite a bit in the last 15 years largely driven by quality standards from the likes of Apple, so reliability wise you should be fine if you can get the right price.
Anything over $1000 bringing into aus you're fucked anyway

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Anything over $1000 bringing into aus you're fucked anyway
Yep, with GST now it’s harder to find great deals overseas and then you’ve got the hassle of power adaptors etc. These days I tend to only buy overseas what I can carry and that’s worked out well this year. Then again, I don’t have the Rona so glass half full...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm probably better of waiting until next year when more TV/Monitors become available anyway..just impatient and want something new. Hopefully they make some a bit smaller because I can't play on a 55" a the time while the smallest one currently manufactured is the LG CX @ 48"...but that's barely available and costs a shitload for a TV that size lol.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The TCLs here are different to the ones overseas?
Same stuff. Earlier TCL models generally had TCL build with LG or Samsung panels. The modern ones have their own custom built panels which are decent quality. Basically their QLEDs are as good as the Samsung QLEDs.

That said, Chinese made so probably not good to by any smart product made in China right now especially when they're on the verge of cutting off trade with Australia. If they put an embargo in place there's a decent chance the TCL TV won't get any future updates and they may block access to certain Smart TV services.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'm probably better of waiting until next year when more TV/Monitors become available anyway..just impatient and want something new. Hopefully they make some a bit smaller because I can't play on a 55" a the time while the smallest one currently manufactured is the LG CX @ 48"...but that's barely available and costs a shitload for a TV that size lol.
My philosophy is that you have to buy something sooner or later - there will always be newer/better models - the churn is deliberate.

TV’s are only getting bigger, so I think you’ll struggle to find much under 50” these days and you’ll over pay for it anyway due to low volumes produced.

Do you specifically want/need a traditional TV?
Have you considered getting a top notch monitor and plug in Apple TV / Chromecast etc to give you IPTV? Then just add the TV apps like iView, 7+ etc, add a good sound bar/speakers and you might get your sweet setup without breaking the bank.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Same stuff. Earlier TCL models generally had TCL build with LG or Samsung panels. The modern ones have their own custom built panels which are decent quality. Basically their QLEDs are as good as the Samsung QLEDs.

That said, Chinese made so probably not good to by any smart product made in China right now especially when they're on the verge of cutting off trade with Australia. If they put an embargo in place there's a decent chance the TCL TV won't get any future updates and they may block access to certain Smart TV services.
Don’t forget the Huawei monitoring devices they’ll implant, just like in the vaccines :-).

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Don’t forget the Huawei monitoring devices they’ll implant, just like in the vaccines :-).
It's pretty funny but recently I helped change a whole bunch of CCTV systems after it was found that the Chinese military owned manufacturers had installed backdoors in their devices. Those devices are now all banned from Australian and US government sites but they still make up over 70% of the non-government IP CCTV systems in Australia.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It's pretty funny but recently I helped change a whole bunch of CCTV systems after it was found that the Chinese military owned manufacturers had installed backdoors in their devices. Those devices are now all banned from Australian and US government sites but they still make up over 70% of the non-government IP CCTV systems in Australia.
Oh I don’t doubt the capability is there but I don’t think they’re interested in the punter. Can you imagine what’s lost in translation? ‘Who is The Flange?’ :-).

I know in our dealings with China we’re supplying older technology on the assumption of attempts to reverse engineer / copy etc. The challenge is it’s too big a market to ignore but the way things are going there may be little choice but to do business elsewhere...

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh I don’t doubt the capability is there but I don’t think they’re interested in the punter. Can you imagine what’s lost in translation? ‘Who is The Flange?’ :-).

I know in our dealings with China we’re supplying older technology on the assumption of attempts to reverse engineer / copy etc. The challenge is it’s too big a market to ignore but the way things are going there may be little choice but to do business elsewhere...
Yep. But with China cutting trade, we're going to be pretty screwed.

Side note. I intercepted some Chinese communications that clearly showed a plan to spy on Skippy and Marley.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
most important thing is having chromecast built in imo

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yep. But with China cutting trade, we're going to be pretty screwed.

Side note. I intercepted some Chinese communications that clearly showed a plan to spy on Skippy and Marley.
The geo-politics has a rancid stench right now but maybe with the vaccines, a new US Administration and some economic recovery some cooler heads might prevail. China’s growth is inevitable and I think that’s less of an issue than the lack of trust and transparency is. Wait - wasn’t this a TV thread?? :-).

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
My philosophy is that you have to buy something sooner or later - there will always be newer/better models - the churn is deliberate.

TV’s are only getting bigger, so I think you’ll struggle to find much under 50” these days and you’ll over pay for it anyway due to low volumes produced.

Do you specifically want/need a traditional TV?
Have you considered getting a top notch monitor and plug in Apple TV / Chromecast etc to give you IPTV? Then just add the TV apps like iView, 7+ etc, add a good sound bar/speakers and you might get your sweet setup without breaking the bank.
I just need it just for the PS5..so HDMI 2.1, 4K, 120hz. Will probably just get a decent monitor for FPS and then get a TV later next year when there's cheaper/better options available. Or maybe I should just learn to play seriously without sitting with my face in the screen and just buy the X900 :tearsofjoy:

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most import thing is to make sure you have good panels and high Hz rate.

If you want cheap TV 75 inch 8k and high rate Hz the 75 inch cost 1200 linsar (made with the same panel of Phillips used)

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I just need it just for the PS5..so HDMI 2.1, 4K, 120hz. Will probably just get a decent monitor for FPS and then get a TV later next year when there's cheaper/better options available. Or maybe I should just learn to play seriously without sitting with my face in the screen and just buy the X900 :tearsofjoy:
If ultimately you want TV functionality and aren’t happy with IPTV then the X900 works to scratch both itches. I’ve got a Sony 4K that hasn’t skipped a beat in ~7 years, even though you’d have a newer HDMI standard and prices continue to drop. 120Hz refresh is noticeable on fast moving scenes like gaming so I’d definitely go for a more credible build for that alone.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just a heads up - They released an Optus Sport app for Samsung TV's.

Not sure if it has better specs than other apps - but mine is always a good 30 seconds faster than all my mates streams. They asked me to stop reacting to goals in our chat threads, because the build up hadn't even started yet on theirs.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Just a heads up - They released an Optus Sport app for Samsung TV's.

Not sure if it has better specs than other apps - but mine is always a good 30 seconds faster than all my mates streams. They asked me to stop reacting to goals in our chat threads, because the build up hadn't even started yet on theirs.
The Optus sport app is absolutely shocking lol. I have a Shield and stream through that and the app still shits the bed sometimes. I've also streamed with my laptop at the same time and the streams didn't match up between the two

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting tech to watch. Not currently cost effective unless you’re like looking to replace more than one piece of kit but prices will come down over time.

All in one unit: 4K 130” short throw projection, multi channel digital audio (4.2), Wi-Fi, Ethernet, USB3 and voice control onboard. Designed to replace screen, soundbar/sub/amp etc.