Flat screen TV question

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
One guy at retra vision many years ago told me to buy a rank arena. He said I didn't know tv if I didn't know rank arena.

I was going to put his head through the tv
Did you know rank arena was produced in Penrith?
Ground breaking shit

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion you're better off from a reliability and feature perspective getting an Android TV.

The Android Operating System has now been around for over a decade and in that time they've grown to have massive app support and most importantly stability with the OS itself.

The Google integration with everything alone is hard to pass up once you're in it's ecosystem.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the tv brand ? If its a cheap one you would probably want something you can plug like chromecast or fire stick.

If its a decent tv it shouldn't really matter they would have same features.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Guy at the store said android can download apps, a smart tv can not.

Apparentlty?.
Nah. A smart TV can only download apps that are:

1) for the operating system the TV uses

2) approved for the TV model

In the case of Android TV's (some TCL, Sony, etc) you download apps from the Google Play store. For others (LG, some TCL TV's) you download apps from the store associated with that operating system. LG have their LG Store, TCL have their own store. They all download apps. It's just different depending what apps they have.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
In my opinion you're better off from a reliability and feature perspective getting an Android TV.

The Android Operating System has now been around for over a decade and in that time they've grown to have massive app support and most importantly stability with the OS itself.

The Google integration with everything alone is hard to pass up once you're in it's ecosystem.
That’s true re: eco-system and I feel the same way about Apple. Consistency throughout works well. If I ask Siri for something, same as you might ask Google or Alexa, depending on what I’m doing the response might come from TV, Watch, Speaker, Phone or even Lights. When all integrated it’s pretty cool - that’s why I suggested to @Fear.The.Roo that a good starting point for making the call is what phone you use/prefer.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s true re: eco-system and I feel the same way about Apple. Consistency throughout works well. If I ask Siri for something, same as you might ask Google or Alexa, depending on what I’m doing the response might come from TV, Watch, Speaker, Phone or even Lights. When all integrated it’s pretty cool - that’s why I suggested to @Fear.The.Roo that a good starting point for making the call is what phone you use/prefer.
That was good advice.
I use samsung phones, have a google speaker so prob will get the android tv

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
With Apple TV, Android TV devices, Chromecast etc being so inexpensive these days, I wouldn't necessarily prioritise getting a smart TV. Well, I certainly wouldn't pay much extra for one over the other, anyway.

I used to have a Sony Smart TV about 8 years ago that was rubbish as it only allowed very limited apps, and i paid a fuckton for it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
With Apple TV, Android TV devices, Chromecast etc being so inexpensive these days, I wouldn't necessarily prioritise getting a smart TV. Well, I certainly wouldn't pay much extra for one over the other, anyway.

I used to have a Sony Smart TV about 8 years ago that was rubbish as it only allowed very limited apps, and i paid a fuckton for it.
Early adopters always pay more and get leapfrogged, I accepted that reality years ago in order to satisfy my penchant for new toys :-).

Last edited:

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Makes sense mate. Good luck with it.
A few options brand wise for Android TV’s.
My old plasma is a samsung.

I doubt that modern tvs will last 15 years like my old plasma did.

Now im wodering,
Do i spend big on a sony or samsung
Or get a TCL for a lot less?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Now im wodering,
What are you doing for audio? TV speakers are crap so you might need to spend some extra $$$ on a soundbar.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Now im wodering,
Personally I believe you get what you pay for so I’m a believer in quality and yes, usually that means paying more. For my main screen I bought a Sony 65” 4K OLED in 2014 and it hasn’t skipped a beat. I’ve got a 55” 1080p Samsung in the man cave, which has also been reliable except for the annoying backlights on the remote which eat batteries.

I can tell you that in Korea and Japan (Samsung, LG, Sony etc) and Taiwan and China (TCL, Hi-Sense etc) about 85% of screens come out of the same factories and depending on the quality of the ‘bake’ the various brands acquire them, so a premium brand will generally have a superior screen.

I agree that plasma was superior but the newer LCD’s are generally good quality/reliable now.

Hope that helps.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bloke in JB HI sold me a Palsonic (yeah never heard of them either) 85cm flat screen in 2007 and we only just two months ago got rid it, not because it'd stopped working but because we got a bigger one. This thing was a Trojan.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
A bloke in JB HI sold me a Palsonic (yeah never heard of them either) 85cm flat screen in 2007 and we only just two months ago got rid it, not because it'd stopped working but because we got a bigger one. This thing was a Trojan.
Aussie company. Mid-range but decent kit. Historically did fans and sewing machines then got into consumer electronics. You don’t last 60 years if you produce crap. Actually that’s not quite true, there is the Eels :-).

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Now im wodering,
Sony x9000h is one of the best TVs out there and it often goes on sale for a competitive price.

That said, modern TCLs aren't bad, but you're better off with a Sony, LG or Samsung.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Sony x9000h is one of the best TVs out there and it often goes on sale for a competitive price.

That said, modern TCLs aren't bad, but you're better off with a Sony, LG or Samsung.
The TCLs here are different to the ones overseas?