Flanagan consolidated thread.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great news if Rorter$ let him go.. i see alot of positives in Flanagans game and he can only improve..
Much better then what we have and still young. If he can get back to 100%, maintains his goalkicking at 75-80% and develops a running game, but more so learns when to run, when to pass and when to get the ball, he will be a solid first grader. Only down side is I think he needs a strong ball running 5/8 who can run the show too.

I think his game will regress with Lewis, hoping to god Barrett doesnt see him as the saviour and the second coming of wally as most of the kennel think that he is.

I'd love to see a combo with Burton (wishful thinking and seems highly unlikely at this stage) but I feel their games will work well, and with the likes of cotric, thompson, Elliot, averillo I think they can form a pretty decent base for the next 5+ years.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was waiting for the article about Johns recommending him to join us......
Johns's expertise is overrated. Great player but as a commentator and halves coach he sucks. He was our halves coach some years back and there was no improvement. He can barely put a sentence together and Sterling wipes Johns any day of the week with his expertise and insight.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Johns's expertise is overrated. Great player but as a commentator and halves coach he sucks. He was our halves coach some years back and there was no improvement. He can barely put a sentence together and Sterling wipes Johns any day of the week with his expertise and insight.
I agree. I reckon the things that made Johns so good aren't easy to pass on. Some players develop vision over a career with a lot of practice, but when 20 year old's have it, like Johns did, it's really just an instinctive thing they have. Sterlo is more the serious analyst whereas Johns is more like an excitable child when they commentate. Wally (another great natural) seemed similar when it came to transferring his ability to coaching.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And for the most part Sterling is non biased which I believe is what you want with commentary. For example he never sways from calling it as it is with Parra or the Blues. Next to no ego either.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan breaks silence on son Kyle Flanagan’s demise at Roosters
Paul Crawley, News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
October 15, 2020 6:19pm

Shane Flanagan has broken his silence on his son Kyle’s shock demise at the Sydney Roosters, conceding “he is gutted” but determined to fight to save his career.

Clearly upset at unfair criticism Kyle has copped, Flanagan opened up about how Kyle had no clue he was on the outer at the Roosters until he met coach Trent Robinson on Tuesday morning.
That post-season review came on the same day as the club’s presentation night, and just five days after the 21-year-old played 50 minutes with a serious grade three AC joint shoulder injury that required painkilling injections at halftime during the semi final loss to Canberra.

It is highly unlikely he will be at the Roosters next season with Canterbury the front-runners to sign him.
“He had no idea of it,” Flanagan said.
“Yes, he was gutted.
“For me he had a really good season and he played well in that last game.
“He had to go and get painkillers at halftime with an AC joint. They told him he shouldn’t go back but he played the whole game.
“I had a couple of (grade three injuries) this year at the Dragons and they didn’t come back.
“It is a pretty nasty injury and he did well.
“He is a tough kid.
“I thought he busted his arse for his first year of NRL this year.

“If you play halfback at the Roosters you are going to get criticised sometimes.
“But I just thought it was a little bit unwarranted.”

Criticism of Kyle Flanagan’s form has been “unwarranted”.
The Bulldogs have already publicly revealed their interest while Flanagan said other clubs have also expressed interest.

Kyle is managed by his father who said they don’t want to rush into any decisions.

“I am a bit hesitant to say too much and do too much because it is another story about him,” Flanagan said.

“He is upset.

“We are just going to take the weekend to have a big deep breath and think about what do we do next.

“He has got to accept (Robinson’s decision).

“Whether he stays and fights or moves, I am not quite sure.

“He has got options but he is a determined bugger.

“I don’t know what he will do.”

Flanagan said his son had been inundated with messages of support from the likes of Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Phil Gould, Paul Gallen and Michael Ennis among many more.

Flanagan was trying to stay positive but was noticeably upset for his son.

“It is Robbo’s decision and that’s the way he is going to go,” Flanagan said.

“We just have to live with it.”
Yes stay positive and move on......just not with the ‘Dogs.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The real reason Roosters want Flanagan gone as ‘stunned’ O’Brien makes big Pearce call

The real reason Kyle Flanagan may be forced out of the Roosters before his contract wraps up has been revealed... but it won’t see Mitchell Pearce head back to Bondi.

That is according to The Australian’s Brent Read who gave an update onTriple M as to both player’s contract situations.

Flanagan has been told he won’t be needed at the Roosters past 2021, when his current deal ends.

However, there are reports that they are happy to release him early if Flanagan can secure a deal elsewhere, with the Bulldogs one interested party.

While much has been made of Flanagan’s form, Read revealed that a salary cap squeeze was behind the decision to try part ways early.

“Their issue is I don’t think they budgeted on the Morris brothers and Jake Friend going around next year,” he said.

“Because of that, if you factor in what those three guys are being paid and the fact they have to re-sign James Tedesco beyond next year.

“I’m told Tedesco’s camp is asking for enormous money, he’s looking for probably a three-year extension worth $3.3 million. He’s got one year to go.

“Because of those two factors combined something has to give and Kyle Flanagan has become the expendable player because they have Sam Walker waiting in the reserves.

“I don’t think Kyle Flanagan will be there next year.”

Laurie Daley suggested earlier in the week that Pearce may be heading for a shock Roosters reunion in place of Flanagan.

That has been quickly shot down by Read though along with suggestions that he may be part of a player swap with Mitchell Moses.

Read said he had spoken with Adam O’Brien and the Newcastle coach assured him that Pearce has a long-term future at the club.

“I’ve spoken to Adam O’Brien today, the Newcastle coach, and he said he has spoken to Mitchell several times this week and assured him he has a future at Newcastle,” he added.

“He’s as committed to Mitchell as Mitchell is committed to him.

“Pearce is getting ready to get married now and once he has sorted that stuff out and got that out of the way he will sit down with the club. Adam O’Brien is convinced they will get a deal done with Mitchell Pearce.

“He’s got one year to go, they’ll extend it beyond that. He was stunned by the suggestions of Pearce being part of a swap with Mitchell Moses, that he might be going back to the Roosters.

“Pearce doesn’t want to leave and Adam doesn’t want him to leave.”

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
$1.1m per season LOL.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I call BS, since when have the Chooks not been able to fit anyone they want under their sombrero. There has been a lot of negative press for the Chooks about ruthlessly blaming a young player for what is plainly the coaches fault. So their media spin merchants (Brad Humphry, Chris Bennet, Alex Philips and crew) step in to counter it with the ever reliable Cap excuse, get your hands off it guys, we all know it's nonsense.

Go Dogs

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I call BS, since when have the Chooks not been able to fit anyone they want under their sombrero. There has been a lot of negative press for the Chooks about ruthlessly blaming a young player for what is plainly the coaches fault. So their media spin merchants (Brad Humphry, Chris Bennet, Alex Philips and crew) step in to counter it with the ever reliable Cap excuse, get your hands off it guys, we all know it's nonsense.

Go Dogs
They're now reeling because of the negative publicity about it.

It's a terrible look for them no matter which way you look at it.

Punting your young half after one year. Any future youngster looking to sign with them should be shitting themselves, and I'd say the same for current players. Fucking shoddy treatment, and they've been called out for it by all and sundry.

Now it's all about saving face for them.

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're right, totally misread it. Not sure how a kid on a couple 100k gives them all this money to re-sign everyone else lol.
But they also got rid of Akbar Helicopartier from goondawindi guppy’s so with kyles 200k and Akbar’s free pie vouchers = enough for cook and Cleary to join next year.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You're right, totally misread it. Not sure how a kid on a couple 100k gives them all this money to re-sign everyone else lol.
I’d say the retirement of the Morris boys and possibly Friend may contribute to this in 2022.

That will be 3-4 players over a mil at the Roosters for that season....

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Robinson got the shits with Shane Flanagan when he called him and questioned him about his son being dropped during the season.

It has to be an Ego thing from Robbo.... an ex head coach calling a current head coach and asking him why his son was dropped??

Also, Shane is in hard spot, he wants the best for his son and thought his son didn't deserve to be dropped.

I would be happy for Kyle to come to the dogs, on two conditions111 1/ pay Kyle no more then 300k per season and 2/ his dad has to keep his trap shut..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think Robinson got the shits with Shane Flanagan when he called him and questioned him about his son being dropped during the season.

It has to be an Ego thing from Robbo.... an ex head coach calling a current head coach and asking him why his son was dropped??

Also, Shane is in hard spot, he wants the best for his son and thought his son didn't deserve to be dropped.

I would be happy for Kyle to come to the dogs, on two conditions111 1/ pay Kyle no more then 300k per season and 2/ his dad has to keep his trap shut..
Isn't his dad his manager? Not uncommon for managers to contact the club when things aren't going smoothly..