Flanagan consolidated thread.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep, he sure did. Credit where credit is due.
Not sure what Barrett saw in him though. It’s concerning that Barrett wanted him at the dogs, because he just showed us his lack of judgement in players which is a worry.
Flanagan, Waddell, Elliot, Allan, very worrying in that aspect.

At the moment, at the very least, it seems he can acknowledge mistakes, i.e. Flanagan being dropped.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what Barrett saw in him though. It’s concerning that Barrett wanted him at the dogs, because he just showed us his lack of judgement in players which is a worry.
But at least Barrett did not shy away from dropping him when required and not let what some may consider a mistake in signing Flanno hinder selection decisions.
It also shows that he is a coach prepared to assess his own work and critique it when required and not worry about what it can do to his own reputation when some coaches would have put their reputation first and not made such big decisions. Kudos to Barrett I think.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
. Kudos to Barrett I think
Disagree, if anything was learned from Seibold situation going into a big club like the Dogs is or "was in the past"..we need a coach with good effective communication, clear intentions. Barretts plan, Flanogan is a small competitive half partnered with a small skilled debutant still developing defence. We now have what's called the donut defence, huge fuking holes in the middle.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disagree, if anything was learned from Seibold situation going into a big club like the Dogs is or "was in the past"..we need a coach with good effective communication, clear intentions. Barretts plan, Flanogan is a small competitive half partnered with a small skilled debutant still developing defence. We now have what's called the donut defence, huge fuking holes in the middle.
To take some pressure of the little guys. Some of those holes are opened up by spuds like Elliot and S Katoa.

I laughed when I read the Donut Defence

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
But at least Barrett did not shy away from dropping him when required and not let what some may consider a mistake in signing Flanno hinder selection decisions.
It also shows that he is a coach prepared to assess his own work and critique it when required and not worry about what it can do to his own reputation when some coaches would have put their reputation first and not made such big decisions. Kudos to Barrett I think.
Yes, I agree.

But even then, we can't really know absolutely if he's a good coach or not yet. I'll be reserving my judgement until late next year, even though I've put the knives in him a couple of times already but that was out of frustration on my behalf lol.

1st year as Manly coach - excused because he was a rookie
2nd year as manly coach - took them to 6th spot and they played finals, so a pass mark for that year.
3rd year as manly coach - excused because of the shitfight inside the club between the coach, board,Fulton etc
1st year as Bulldog coach - can't really call it, inferior squad but 1 strike for bad recruitment(Flanno, Waddell etc)

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just one more panic signing, the club and all 3 different boards have been doing it for 10 years now.
What worries me is that although I can understand that players don't want to come to our club at present due to poor results, 7-8 years ago that reason reason did not exist.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Just one more panic signing, the club and all 3 different boards have been doing it for 10 years now.
What worries me is that although I can understand that players don't want to come to our club at present due to poor results, 7-8 years ago that reason reason did not exist.
Not on this last board.

This last board did not want to give elliot what he wanted and were prepared to let him go. It was barrett who wanted elliot.

Barrett was the deciding factor for falangan too