Flanagan consolidated thread.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Chuck Averillo in at 6 he cannot defend at centre and his confidence is just going to be shot the longer he stays there and gets carved up. He might get carved up in the halves too but he can get more help there and there’s less decision making for him to have to do.
I agree , if he's gonna be a long term 6 then why not blood him there from now. Or if he is gonna be a fullback, might as well work out all the kinks from now too. If we do get burton that then puts a question mark over Averillo at 6 long term, maybe TB puts him at FB but it doesn't seem like there's been indication thats where his first grade career lies. Alot of it will depend on who we get and the plans of TB.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
flanno is an organiser, like cleary. TB has stated that he can turn flanno into a cleary, so a like for like combination is Flanno and Avo in the halves.
Put Meany at fullback or Hoppa.
JMK improved alot in the last few games, one thing he has is pace, so im sure TB can exploit that.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan breaks silence on son Kyle Flanagan’s demise at Roosters
Paul Crawley, News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
October 15, 2020 6:19pm

Shane Flanagan has broken his silence on his son Kyle’s shock demise at the Sydney Roosters, conceding “he is gutted” but determined to fight to save his career.

Clearly upset at unfair criticism Kyle has copped, Flanagan opened up about how Kyle had no clue he was on the outer at the Roosters until he met coach Trent Robinson on Tuesday morning.
That post-season review came on the same day as the club’s presentation night, and just five days after the 21-year-old played 50 minutes with a serious grade three AC joint shoulder injury that required painkilling injections at halftime during the semi final loss to Canberra.

It is highly unlikely he will be at the Roosters next season with Canterbury the front-runners to sign him.
“He had no idea of it,” Flanagan said.
“Yes, he was gutted.
“For me he had a really good season and he played well in that last game.
“He had to go and get painkillers at halftime with an AC joint. They told him he shouldn’t go back but he played the whole game.
“I had a couple of (grade three injuries) this year at the Dragons and they didn’t come back.
“It is a pretty nasty injury and he did well.
“He is a tough kid.
“I thought he busted his arse for his first year of NRL this year.

“If you play halfback at the Roosters you are going to get criticised sometimes.
“But I just thought it was a little bit unwarranted.”

Criticism of Kyle Flanagan’s form has been “unwarranted”.
The Bulldogs have already publicly revealed their interest while Flanagan said other clubs have also expressed interest.

Kyle is managed by his father who said they don’t want to rush into any decisions.

“I am a bit hesitant to say too much and do too much because it is another story about him,” Flanagan said.

“He is upset.

“We are just going to take the weekend to have a big deep breath and think about what do we do next.

“He has got to accept (Robinson’s decision).

“Whether he stays and fights or moves, I am not quite sure.

“He has got options but he is a determined bugger.

“I don’t know what he will do.”

Flanagan said his son had been inundated with messages of support from the likes of Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Phil Gould, Paul Gallen and Michael Ennis among many more.

Flanagan was trying to stay positive but was noticeably upset for his son.

“It is Robbo’s decision and that’s the way he is going to go,” Flanagan said.

“We just have to live with it.”

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Rorters are up themselves and pricks treating this kid like this. Sounds like the deal we get him on is a beauty and hope he signs. His one of the best goal kickers I have seen for a while and good luck to him wherever he goes. Hopefully the dogs

Last edited:

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could a father/son thing like at the Panthers happen to us in a few years if Barret fails

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan breaks silence on son Kyle Flanagan’s demise at Roosters
Paul Crawley, News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
October 15, 2020 6:19pm

Shane Flanagan has broken his silence on his son Kyle’s shock demise at the Sydney Roosters, conceding “he is gutted” but determined to fight to save his career.

Clearly upset at unfair criticism Kyle has copped, Flanagan opened up about how Kyle had no clue he was on the outer at the Roosters until he met coach Trent Robinson on Tuesday morning.
That post-season review came on the same day as the club’s presentation night, and just five days after the 21-year-old played 50 minutes with a serious grade three AC joint shoulder injury that required painkilling injections at halftime during the semi final loss to Canberra.

It is highly unlikely he will be at the Roosters next season with Canterbury the front-runners to sign him.
“He had no idea of it,” Flanagan said.
“Yes, he was gutted.
“For me he had a really good season and he played well in that last game.
“He had to go and get painkillers at halftime with an AC joint. They told him he shouldn’t go back but he played the whole game.
“I had a couple of (grade three injuries) this year at the Dragons and they didn’t come back.
“It is a pretty nasty injury and he did well.
“He is a tough kid.
“I thought he busted his arse for his first year of NRL this year.

“If you play halfback at the Roosters you are going to get criticised sometimes.
“But I just thought it was a little bit unwarranted.”

Criticism of Kyle Flanagan’s form has been “unwarranted”.
The Bulldogs have already publicly revealed their interest while Flanagan said other clubs have also expressed interest.

Kyle is managed by his father who said they don’t want to rush into any decisions.

“I am a bit hesitant to say too much and do too much because it is another story about him,” Flanagan said.

“He is upset.

“We are just going to take the weekend to have a big deep breath and think about what do we do next.

“He has got to accept (Robinson’s decision).

“Whether he stays and fights or moves, I am not quite sure.

“He has got options but he is a determined bugger.

“I don’t know what he will do.”

Flanagan said his son had been inundated with messages of support from the likes of Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Phil Gould, Paul Gallen and Michael Ennis among many more.

Flanagan was trying to stay positive but was noticeably upset for his son.

“It is Robbo’s decision and that’s the way he is going to go,” Flanagan said.

“We just have to live with it.”
Wow this throws a spanner in the works lol sounds like he’s Kyle might be eager to dig his heels in and fight

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wow this throws a spanner in the works lol sounds like he’s Kyle might be eager to dig his heels in and fight
Nah. Gotta make it as hard as possible for the management so he squeezes as much money out of them as possible.

We need to get this done asap tho

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see who partners Kyle Flanagan next year. Seems like the likely scenario right now is that Green retires & we don't get Burton in 2021. So his halves partner would be someone from our existing stock (Lewis, Averillo, Wakeham).

I see Lewis as the most likely candidate; most experience of the 3 options + his defense is pretty solid for a halfback (ensures we don't have two halves with defensive weaknesses).
how the hell does Lewis get another shot if we get flanno?

two defensive halves isn’t A good enough reason to give this bloke another shot!

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is gone, why would you stay anywhere where your not wanted, a competitive footballer will move on and prove the doubters wrong.
Yep, move to another club (Ie. Dogs) and really show them what a mistake they made.
Thats a much bigger result than just staying there and trying to fight for his spot and prove it that way.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck Averillo in at 6 he cannot defend at centre and his confidence is just going to be shot the longer he stays there and gets carved up. He might get carved up in the halves too but he can get more help there and there’s less decision making for him to have to do.
Yeah my thoughts too.
It seems highly unlikely that Burton will be with us next year even if we do manage to sign him for 2022.
Give Avo a run at 6 hopefully alongside Flanagan and get his top grade experience and confidence up.
I think they could be a good pair once they get some experience together.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I've done what i do to analyse, critique and think deeply here, and taken the necessary supplements to allow this, and ive concluded Flanagan, is not the answer, despite not looking too bad on the surface.

Heres why.

This year we have lost two experienced campaigners, green and Foran.

Who we have left is Averillo, Wakeman and Lewis. All three are finding their feet in the NRL and suffering.

Flanagan also finding his feet.

And we have a fullback....finding feet too.

We have lost experience and what we desperately need is experience. Foran/Green sated our appetite for some of that but it wasnt enough, especially the injuries these guys gave us.

Flanagan is being punted because the roosters dont want to spend a couple of years developing him. Which is what needs to occur.

Flangan couldnt help the roosters and add nothing, theycouldnt make him look better being in a strong side. Harshly, Flanno dragged them down.

Flanno wasnt also being keenly resigned from cronulla before that.

He also has alot of mistakes ( see here )and no real physical attributes like speed.

This is a disaster waiting to happen

The answer is simply we need to look at chad Townsend.

A more experienced Flanno, with the development done already.

Chad and Burto or Chad and Averillo is the better compostion, something we talk about, sometging ivet alked about a d the bulldogs lack.

let averillo play his gaje and run and Chad steer the ship.

Flanno will be like a virgin nervous how to get that dick wet.
my thread got merged into here,and lost in the process but i think it needs to be heard.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Cronk brings your bottom and base up. One of the ultimate field generals. You also want someone instinctive to be alongside him. It's the yin and yang. We had something similar with Hodkinson and Reynolds and the Panthers now have it in Cleary and Luai. I wouldn't depreciate Cronk/Hodkinson/Cleary's playstyles.
This for me is a big reason why im such an advocate for chad townsend.
Chad organises and be a general and brtings in experience and jake runs a bity with less pressure instincticeness like Cody walker or the younger benji

Flanno cant be either yet.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While on the subject of roosters, would Sam Verills be a player to look out for if we don't nab either of storms hookers?
I thought he went well on the time he covered for Jake Friend. He's got a year to go in his current contract. 21yo and could be a long term prospect.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can we first sort out our forward pack! Signing Hetherington is a step in the right direction. Can we get the deal with Brandon Smith done ASAP please. I’m tired of waiting. While you’re at it tell Napa he’s free to look elsewhere, we won’t be making finals let alone winning premierships with him still at the club, to slow and if he’s not suspended he’s injured. As for Flanagan, surely we can spend our money more wisely. Has performed well behind a rep pack on occasions but has also spent a number of weeks out with injury, probably due to his size. Thanks but no thanks.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rorters are up themselves and pricks treating this kid like this. Sounds like the deal we get him on is a beauty and hope he signs. His one of the best goal kickers I have seen for a while and good luck to him wherever he goes. Hopefully the dogs
Language...Red Bull Warrior :tearsofjoy:

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They also have the best young half in the whole comp in Sam Walker. Honestly I'd offer Walker a blank cheque to sign for us NOW! Trust me he's that good. Another pre season and Walker is ready, you have to play him. Lachlan Lam is still in reserve as well.
Spot on. Uncle Nick rarely loses someone he wants to keep. Flanagan next year will be 3rd in line after Lam and Walker. If we sign Flanagan it will be repeat of us signing Hodko - a goal kicking half with no creativity and no running game. Manly let him go because they had someone far better coming up - DCE.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Spot on. Uncle Nick rarely loses someone he wants to keep. Flanagan next year will be 3rd in line after Lam and Walker. If we sign Flanagan it will be repeat of us signing Hodko - a goal kicking half with no creativity and no running game. Manly let him go because they had someone far better coming up - DCE.
Fark.... I hope that's not the case..