News First in: Bulldogs table offers to star trio but can only afford two

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Retaining the players I think we will (subject to change) I think that'd be about ~4.5m in the cap for our 1-17. That's between 11 players. That doesn't include Stimson and I don't know much about Britt (if he can get into our 17, I'm assuming not).
It’s really all pie in the sky trying to work out players salaries and cap figures. With the amount of players off contract we will have money to spend but it’s impossible to put a figure on it.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think a million for Api, Ese’ese and Ramien is money well spent. They all play problem areas that we need strengthening and once we have them we then focus on other needs. Holding out hoping better players is dangerous as you can be forced into panic signings or over paying as their is more pressure.
I think it'd be more closer to 1.2m for the 3 of them. Everyone we're being linked to (including DWZ) are players that are not wanted by their current club for one reason or another. I think this is to prevent overpaying as we're not in competition with the club that currently has them.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think a million for Api, Ese’ese and Ramien is money well spent. They all play problem areas that we need strengthening and once we have them we then focus on other needs. Holding out hoping better players is dangerous as you can be forced into panic signings or over paying as their is more pressure.
Ramien and Api solve positional needs. Ese Ese is a luxury considering we have Tolman, Napa, Britt, Renouf, Ogden and Sue etc..

It all just depends on the length of the contracts with these three and the value.

They could all be smart signings if two year deals at a good rate. They could be risky or end up being costly signings if for three years when overpaying while competing with other clubs.

I have faith that Certified G is right. Time will tell.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ramien and Api solve positional needs. Ese Ese is a luxury considering we have Tolman, Napa, Britt, Renouf, Ogden and Sue etc..

It all just depends on the length of the contracts with these three and the value.

They could all be smart signings if two year deals at a good rate. They could be risky or end up being costly signings if for three years when overpaying while competing with other clubs.

I think the club has identified for the 2021 season they want a better bench/impact Prop (Napa will be the other in 2021). I'd personally like Flegler, but with Ese'ese not wanted by the Knights we should be able to get him closer to his value and we get a player a season early (Flegler would be a 2021 signing).

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I do really like the idea of recruiting Koroisau. He offers a mix of experience and a well rounded game. I haven't seen Ramien play, but decent centres are easier to get as are forwards. So Api would be the first priority. If we wind up recruiting Ramien or Esse I'd be ok with it. But purely on a price is right basis.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

I see Ese’ese as a need our front row needs someone in that wrecking ball type roll and Renouf just isn’t doing enough to have faith he can do it and Ogden does have defensive issues. If those 2 were further along then we wouldn’t need Ese’ese but they aren’t and it’s coming to the point where they might not make it.

It’s too early to analyse if they are good deals before they have signed or played a game for us. On the surface they are all players that will add something.

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yep look at the ladder. A proper hooker and strike center and we're close to finals.
At least three games could have gone our way.
So frustrating.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Don't agree, all the talk coming from the club was to lower all expectations and made it sound like we were only capable of signing squad players. No where after these meetings did people envision us signings the Kiwi captain, a very good hooker and one of top rated up and coming young centres in the game. We all thought we were getting the bare minimum until 2021.
Fair enough if that’s how you saw it.
I see it differently as described above.

Remember that it was AFTER the 2018 Forum that Woods and MBye were let go - so that freed up some cap space, even with us paying some of their freight at their new clubs.

This year we’ve only let go lower graders in Saddler and Tualau and only Martin from firsts. That combined with payments ending for previously released players got DWZ for 1.5 seasons and he’ll be re-signed as part of the 2021 cap.

The rest to me seems on message.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Of course. And that proves my point about these three. They can save it for 2021 and not tie it up on these guys next year and beyond who won't be as good a value as those that come off contract in 2020.

If they tie up over $1 million or more of that money on Api, Ese Ese and Ramien then it makes it even harder to recruit those that have far greater potential.

If they all sign, I'll be fine with it as they're good players. But if we don't I'll look at the positives that we can go for better targets later.
Therein lies the challenge, right?
Like buying a new car or computer or whatever, there’s always going to be a better model next year. Gotta get best bang for buck when you need it - all good so long as you don’t end up with buyers remorse eg: K. Foran.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I see Ese’ese as a need our front row needs someone in that wrecking ball type roll and Renouf just isn’t doing enough to have faith he can do it and Ogden does have defensive issues. If those 2 were further along then we wouldn’t need Ese’ese but they aren’t and it’s coming to the point where they might not make it.

It’s too early to analyse if they are good deals before they have signed or played a game for us. On the surface they are all players that will add something.
Ese Ese definitely does provide impact that Tolman, Napa etc can't. It's a shame as I thought Ogden was impressive providing similar impact in limited minutes and for someone so inexperienced. Unfortunately Pay has dropped him and cost him valuable development time.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there a plan if we miss out on all targets
Or have we got a few of em already
Sack the coach. Thats your plan isnt it? theres nothing wrong with the squad. We just need a new coach right?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sack the coach. Thats your plan isnt it? theres nothing wrong with the squad. We just need a new coach right?
A Few new players AND the coach mate, not JUST the coach obviously, we want pay out so the new players give new coach some good to work with, Get it right :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Oh and let’s hope this recruiting goes well and our club hits the target signings, an sets us up well for whoever steps in for Dean :grinning:

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree not right now but we won’t get him for $300-$400k he’s a player you have to take a punt on cause he has origin quality.
So we'll do what we did with Napa, get him here because we need him now and possibly miss out on someone in the not to distant future. If Ramien doesn't come over for what he's worth we don't need him IMO. We cant go paying overs especially for someone who's played like a busted asshole the past 6 months.
All for signing this bloke don't get me wrong, but we need to be smart.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With the way these negotiations are being drawn out, I'd rather the club saved the money for later in the offseason when even more players become available.

A 3 year deal for Api with his injury history would be unwise. Especially on anything above 450k.. Ramien isn't worth 500k yet. He may end being worth it, but with his attitude and diva-ish ways it could be a huge risk on a 3 year deal.

All three would make the squad better but not enough to make a huge difference that someone at their rumoured salary should.

We're all desperate for signings but long term deals at decent money for these three would be a risk the club shouldn't take. Save the money for the real stars coming off contract like Fifita, the Turbos, Latrell, Cotric etc and the next young spine stars like Papenhuyzen and Grant etc..
My thoughts exactly mate.

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
Compare the last 2 years of both, tell me who is worth their paycheck :-)
Last year was Ramiens break out year. He is a different player to Hoppa I actually like alot of what hoppa does but you can't have a centre pairing of Holland and Hoppa and expect to be a contender. You need that strike centre that can break tackles and score off individual brilliance

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Last year was Ramiens break out year. He is a different player to Hoppa I actually like alot of what hoppa does but you can't have a centre pairing of Holland and Hoppa and expect to be a contender. You need that strike centre that can break tackles and score off individual brilliance
Agree but at the right price mate is all i'm saying. If his manager wants to keep bumping his price up then maybe we should be waiting out.
This is exactly how we got in this mess to begin with, $$$ we were /are paying Mbye, Foran, Woods & Hoppa the list goes on.
If Ramien was playing right now like he did this year we wouldn't be even in this situation, Knights wouldn't offload him and he's be worth what he's asking. Sad truth is his form is below average and he's having a sook about it.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the club playing hardball with these 3. All unwanted by current club and from what I understand a move to FNQ or NZ as they have no cap issues is only other option, if they are being told to wait till season end by other clubs so as to move players on, good luck with that I say.Put an expiry date on offers and see what happens

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hoppa is the Tolman of Centres. I ve said it once and ill say it again, you cant have too many tolmans in your team.. we desperately need strike

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if that’s 1 mill in free cash (from woods, mbye, etc coming off our books.

Or if it is 1 million including all our current off contract players.

At the end of the day Lichaa is on about 700k this year. His deal was back ended. If we can get rid of Foran and even chip in 500k theoretically that’s 1.2 million.

Neither of these players are game changes for us. But it’s way better then we have at the moment.

Does the club want to just be better then now or build towards a premiership contender.

I’m a bit suspect of Api. For the coin being rumoured, you’d expect a top line hooker. But he hasn’t played more then 20 games a season in his last few years.

I know I’ll get shot down but maybe the devil we know (JMK) is better then the devil we don’t.

I have been impressed with JMK service, defence and his running game picked up pre injury.

Fair enough not in the top 10 best hookers in the Comp. but he is a fringe first grader so doubt he’d break the bank. And hetherington could be a decent back up in the next year or 2.
Agreed Jmk is improving out of sight great little defender and very honest , not up himself either