News First in: Bulldogs table offers to star trio but can only afford two

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Brown 350-400? Ouch. I actually don't mind Fualalo for 200-300k.
Yeah he was a shocking signing. I’ve heard it’s closer to the 400k mark as well

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
lichaa was resigned under pay and new boards watch so he cant be backended
No he was re-signed in November 2017.
Des was gone, Dean was in.
Ray was still running the show and spending money like a drunken sailor in a desperate attempt to get re-elected. New board and new policies didn’t come in until February 2018.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We’re talking 2 maybe 3 mid-tier salary players. It’s not exactly a cash splashing extravaganza

The money is coming from;
Mbye 100-200k
Woods 100-200k
Brown 350-400k
Fualalo 250-300k
Tualau 200k
Lichaa 200k
Olive 200k

The combined salaries of Martin and Saddler would’ve been the dollars to get the DWZ deal over the line.

Shrewd business if you ask me.
Not saying it isn't good business, saying the "we can't sign anyone" bs was just that, bs.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You make it sound like if we have the money, all the players you mentioned would sign on the dotted line lol
If with $7-8 million they can't sign one of those players listed then that would be a disaster. If you made one of those players an offer they can't refuse, they'd sign.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Both Api and Ramien are potentially key signings. If we sign them along with DWZ that's 3 biggish signings within a couple months despite us being told we couldn't sign shit.
Not true. Andrew Hill said at the Members Forum in May 2019 that we had 7 spots for 2020. DWZ, Stimson, Britt announced, so these 3 can fit and maybe 1 more. Just remains to be seen who goes end of this year - we can pretty much guess who.

For clarity, in May 2018 the Board said things would improve in 2020 but much more so in 2021 - so it’s playing out as they said so far.

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Both Api and Ramien are potentially key signings. If we sign them along with DWZ that's 3 biggish signings within a couple months despite us being told we couldn't sign shit.
I still worry about those that don't think the Anderson's know how to run a footy club...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If with $7-8 million they can't sign one of those players listed then that would be a disaster. If you made one of those players an offer they can't refuse, they'd sign.
$7-8m is for 2021, not 2020.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We aren’t going to have $7-$8 million to spend it could well be half that after you take into account who we re-sign and players we sign this year. That war chest figure that’s been floating around is the cap space we will have free but it won’t all go into buying players for 2021 other roster movements will happen before then. The more I think about it the more I’m against the idea of blowing a large chunk of cap on a marquee player who is chasing the money.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Nope. See above. It’s playing out as they told us it would.
Don't agree, all the talk coming from the club was to lower all expectations and made it sound like we were only capable of signing squad players. No where after these meetings did people envision us signings the Kiwi captain, a very good hooker and one of top rated up and coming young centres in the game. We all thought we were getting the bare minimum until 2021.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We aren’t going to have $7-$8 million to spend it could well be half that after you take into account who we re-sign and players we sign this year. That war chest figure that’s been floating around is the cap space we will have free but it won’t all go into buying players for 2021 other roster movements will happen before then. The more I think about it the more I’m against the idea of blowing a large chunk of cap on a marquee player who is chasing the money.
Of course. And that proves my point about these three. They can save it for 2021 and not tie it up on these guys next year and beyond who won't be as good a value as those that come off contract in 2020.

If they tie up over $1 million or more of that money on Api, Ese Ese and Ramien then it makes it even harder to recruit those that have far greater potential.

If they all sign, I'll be fine with it as they're good players. But if we don't I'll look at the positives that we can go for better targets later.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'm referring to. Save it for then and targeting those players who are more attractive long term options.
You need to sign up your depth first.
At least we know that in 2021, our bench front row rotation will consist of Toumaga, Ogden and ese ese (if goes through) his manager playing games but dogs holding firm... End of 2020, tolman off contract and then we can target an elite prop to partner Napa.

We resign Hoppa on a cheaper contract, resign smith, DWZ, and if we add ramien to that list our 4/5 of our backline is done.
Jackson will resign, we have CHN and Stimson signed...

We have plenty of cap space left over to sign a 6,7 and and 5.

Have faith, we getting there.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Retaining the players I think we will (subject to change) I think that'd be about ~4.5m in the cap for our 1-17. That's between 11 players. That doesn't include Stimson and I don't know much about Britt (if he can get into our 17, I'm assuming not).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You need to sign up your depth first.
At least we know that in 2021, our bench front row rotation will consist of Toumaga, Ogden and ese ese (if goes through) his manager playing games but dogs holding firm... End of 2020, tolman off contract and then we can target an elite prop to partner Napa.

We resign Hoppa on a cheaper contract, resign smith, DWZ, and if we add ramien to that list our 4/5 of our backline is done.
Jackson will resign, we have CHN and Stimson signed...

We have plenty of cap space left over to sign a 6,7 and and 5.

Have faith, we getting there.
I do have faith. Or hope at least. We're just discussing the pros and cons here. No one is hammering the club.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do have faith. Or hope at least. We're just discussing the pros and cons here. No one is hammering the club.
I know... I’m just pointing out my observation, based on whose signed and who we can resign we gonna have a fair chunk to spend on a 6,7 and 5.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Of course. And that proves my point about these three. They can save it for 2021 and not tie it up on these guys next year and beyond who won't be as good a value as those that come off contract in 2020.

If they tie up over $1 million or more of that money on Api, Ese Ese and Ramien then it makes it even harder to recruit those that have far greater potential.

If they all sign, I'll be fine with it as they're good players. But if we don't I'll look at the positives that we can go for better targets later.
I think a million for Api, Ese’ese and Ramien is money well spent. They all play problem areas that we need strengthening and once we have them we then focus on other needs. Holding out hoping better players is dangerous as you can be forced into panic signings or over paying as their is more pressure.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't agree, all the talk coming from the club was to lower all expectations and made it sound like we were only capable of signing squad players. No where after these meetings did people envision us signings the Kiwi captain, a very good hooker and one of top rated up and coming young centres in the game. We all thought we were getting the bare minimum until 2021.
I think when the media and people quote situations sometimes theyve misinterpreted the message or taken it out of context.. I was always under the impression they meant marque signings.

At the end of every season players come off contract, so there was always going to be money. That money is either used to bump a junior into top 30 or to purchase a new player..

I don't consider anyone we've signed or anyone we are considering sign to top class or marque..