Opinion Finally Thompson stands up

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He was impressive during the first half, second half was a level or two below. The big difference was that he wasn't getting slapped around in tackles and actually had some drive, managed a few offloads also. Still a long way from being the elite forward we're paying him to be, still doubt he will get there at all.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
A couple of glaring 1 on 1 misses that nearly resulted in tries BUT otherwise I thought he had an excellent game, seems to be warming to the task and also liked the confrontation in the middle...

A few of his runs in particular caught the eye, seems to have some real pace, Tolman got in his way a bunch of times I also noticed, was hogging the ball for his 3m ineffective runs...

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He was impressive during the first half, second half was a level or two below. The big difference was that he wasn't getting slapped around in tackles and actually had some drive, managed a few offloads also. Still a long way from being the elite forward we're paying him to be, still doubt he will get there at all.
Thompson is a fraud !, He was impressive during the first half, make your mind up you bellend
Thompson could walk into any NRL team, remember we are paying him virtually nothing this season, I agree he dropped off in the second half he was blowing out of his arse and no wonder he’s only played 6 hrs rugby this year.
Big off season, new coaches and conditioners and he will do more than earn his salary next year !
Mark my words

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Thompson is a fraud !, He was impressive during the first half, make your mind up you bellend
Thompson could walk into any NRL team, remember we are paying him virtually nothing this season, I agree he dropped off in the second half he was blowing out of his arse and no wonder he’s only played 6 hrs rugby this year.
Big off season, new coaches and conditioners and he will do more than earn his salary next year !
Mark my words
My opinion has not changed, he will not live up to his price tag unless he improves out of sight. I can still however say parts his performance were impressive last night.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
He picked up his efforts when RFM and Smith were looking like breaking the defence.
As much as I like Tolman for his defence and drive when we need to dig in, I thought he stifled our attack when he had the ball. It allowed the Bunnies defence to bunch and contain the attack. A smart half would have seen the gaps the Bunnies forwards had made when lining up to take on Tolman who, to his credit, draws three or more forwards to him. If we had passed the ball out wide when Tolman looked like getting it, we could have run in more points - just look at the pass to Okunbor in the first half, when we were running the ball off our line. More of that, and we would have broken Souths' resolve.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Missed two really poor tackles in the second half that would have been tries and cost us the game if not for some desperate defence . Other than that I thought this was his best offensive game ,running straight and hard.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mark my words
He's played 16 games this year (6 super league, world club challenge, 9 NRL), that's more games than most of squad. Whilst he's played decently the last 2 games that needs to be the minimum standard to even come close to earning his salary.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A couple of glaring 1 on 1 misses that nearly resulted in tries BUT otherwise I thought he had an excellent game, seems to be warming to the task and also liked the confrontation in the middle...

A few of his runs in particular caught the eye, seems to have some real pace, Tolman got in his way a bunch of times I also noticed, was hogging the ball for his 3m ineffective runs...
Tolman had over 200m and more then 60 post contact metres, yet some still find a way to have a dig T him.

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My opinion has not changed, he will not live up to his price tag unless he improves out of sight. I can still however say parts his performance were impressive last night.
I do admire your straight talking and I agree with a lot of your comments you post on here.
But he has come from the other side of the world from playing school boy rugby to join our NRL and thankfully he chose our team
He will improve and adjust with time

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had his best game last night , the whole team played well but still had moments when they all went missing. But huge improvements

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Those couple of grabbing attempted tackles on the tryline could have cost us the game, likely through fatigue. James Graham took some time to adjust as well, one more week then he can get out of the bubble, have a break then rip in for preseason with knowledge on what he needs to work on and actual coaching.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great leg speed. I was impressed with his mongrel in the middle lastnight. On another topic contrary to popular opinion i think on minimum contract we should retain Tolman for 1 more year. He gets theough a mountain of dirty work and tightens up the middle. He would make 3 of the 5 tackles in a set....the guys just doesnt stop. Hate to say it but you would notice the difference in defence when he is not there...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I do admire your straight talking and I agree with a lot of your comments you post on here.
But he has come from the other side of the world from playing school boy rugby to join our NRL and thankfully he chose our team
He will improve and adjust with time
I understand all that and lowered my expectations because of Covid, mid season switch etc...but he's on huge money and he simply needs to be in that elite tier of forward. We have got our signings so wrong over the years and Thompson can't be another.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was outstanding last night. Funny that, playing in his natural position and he kills it. I’ll admit 2nd stint was a bit how’s it going, few lazy arm grabs. But when he came back on Souths were killing us, he was part of the reason we were able to halt there momentum.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This bloke hasnt had a pre season with us, he was brilliant last night, he also chased back Paulo when he made a break upfield. He ran hard and offered some go forward that we havent had all season, its no coincidence we shipped points when he came off and at 20-16 when he came back on we didn't concede anymore. People having a dig at 2 missed tackles, one of them tackles was him tracking back and he ended up in centre, the blokes a prop forward, the fact he was even in that position trying to stop a souths attack shows how hard he was working and how much he wanted to get a win. The other tackle was just a missed tackle, it happens, lets get over it, if people are going to pick up on one missed tackle that didnt even lead to us conceding, then you need to have a look at yourself. This lad has come in mid season from England, first game at prop and took it to an inform souths pack.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Tolman had over 200m and more then 60 post contact metres, yet some still find a way to have a dig T him.
Because he's Gal like, needs to get the absolute fuck out of the way. There's time where he literally positions himself between the dh and first receiver so he can once again touch the ball, or even times when he comes in and pushes the other forward wide. No doubt he works hard as fuck and constantly had a crack, but if we're going to turn a corner it's going to be without him.