Opinion Finally Thompson stands up

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Because he's Gal like, needs to get the absolute fuck out of the way. There's time where he literally positions himself between the dh and first receiver so he can once again touch the ball, or even times when he comes in and pushes the other forward wide. No doubt he works hard as fuck and constantly had a crack, but if we're going to turn a corner it's going to be without him.
Im not praising the guy, im simply pointing out how some people will give it to him regardless of how he plays!!

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He’s good with the ball on the front foot. Fucking horrendous in defence and if the team is under the pump.

He would succeed in a top side.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Because he's Gal like, needs to get the absolute fuck out of the way. There's time where he literally positions himself between the dh and first receiver so he can once again touch the ball, or even times when he comes in and pushes the other forward wide. No doubt he works hard as fuck and constantly had a crack, but if we're going to turn a corner it's going to be without him.
Did you see Wakeham last week? Lol. Was at the end of the game and he looks up and there's Tolman waiting for the ball on the forth LOL, so Wakeham goes the short side instead lol. Made me laugh out loud.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
That was fucking infuriating me last night, we were set with guys ready to run onto the ball with purpose then Tolman sticks himself in between and gets the ball.

I also think when you have a dominant hooker, they control that better.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Did you see Wakeham last week? Lol. Was at the end of the game and he looks up and there's Tolman waiting for the ball on the forth LOL, so Wakeham goes the short side instead lol. Made me laugh out loud.
Yup, there was even a time where he held up on the pass and stepped away from dh so he could pass the ball behind Tolman and get it to Averillo.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He made some strong runs but for a player of his pedigree some of his defensive efforts are appalling he rarely makes good first contact.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
That was fucking infuriating me last night, we were set with guys ready to run onto the ball with purpose then Tolman sticks himself in between and gets the ball.

I also think when you have a dominant hooker, they control that better.
Yh JMK is pretty clueless, has flashes of brilliance but overall his vision and decision making are really poor.

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before arriving downunder, the bloke didn't play all year.

Arived in Australia and was stuck in isoation for 14 days.

In terms of fitness, intensity and toughness, the NRL compared to the SL is probably 3-4 times more demanding?

No pre-season training with the dogs at all. New country, no family, meeting new teammates while not allowed to mingle outside of training due to retrictions.

Has to pick up Canterbury training methods, play style, etc "on the go"

All of this needs to be done in the preseason in turn for the comp start in March, not halfway through the season and expecting the bloke to shit out gold nuggets.

The hate and criticism the bloke has copped since his arrival has been disgusting. It is quite obvious the bitches hating on Thompson have never laced their boots on, nor do they have any ideas on what it takes to prepare a player (team) physically and mentally during a preseason ready for a new season

The bitches hating on Thompson need to be bent over naked, over a tree stump, with their assholes as targets for sling shots consisting of 316 stainless steel ball bearings and work boots consisting of torn steel caps

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
He is a middle player both in attack and defence!

I don't know if I watched the same games as you guys, thought our defence was so much better when he was on!

Maybe you guys saw the one missed tackle in the lead up to the bombed try when Hoppa stripped it off the Souths player, he was at center and up against a much quicker player... He missed 2 tackles all good and his contact was probably better then all our others players!

28 tackles, 2 missed (1 when at center covering, hardly his fault), 1 ineffective!
zero handling errors, 13 carries for 132 Meters, 70 post contact meters.

When he was off and Sue on we conceded all 3 tries and on the backfoot the whole time... When he was on the field it was the opposite.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I don't know if I watched the same games as you guys, thought our defence was so much better when he was on!

Maybe you guys saw the one missed tackle in the lead up to the bombed try when Hoppa stripped it off the Souths player, he was at center and up against a much quicker player... He missed 2 tackles all good and his contact was probably better then all our others players!

28 tackles, 2 missed (1 when at center covering, hardly his fault), 1 ineffective!

When he was off and Sue on we conceded all 3 tries and on the backfoot the whole time... When he was on the field it was the opposite.
Thompson going off and sue coming on changed the momentum

sue was garbage

Last edited:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
showed some good leg drive early and was bending the line , missed a couple of one on one tackles but souths scored most of their points when he was off the field , jury is still out but positive signs for mine

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have been against this narrative of him being a disappointment the whole time. He’s had some down games when put in the wrong position but if he’s played in the middle of the field he is the most aggressive runner in the side works hard and is an athlete. His defence needs some work allows offloads and struggles to get into position to win the ruck often trying to get a grip on their arms while allowing post contact metres but he’s a top player and once he gets some stability and normality next year I think he will kill it

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Thommo had a dig in that first half. JMK kills me with his pass selections. Never hits Thommo at speed.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Had a great game last night, picked up 10m every run. A few offloads too.

Hopefully he kicks on next season and proves that we weren't totally stupid paying that price tag.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He was used how he should. Finally got to show his fast feet. Needs to be second runner. Can make gaps. He’s not a genuine first receiver type prop. His first up defence needs work but. It was his best game in blue and white

Che

Waterboy
Reaction score

In terms of fitness, intensity and toughness, the NRL compared to the SL is probably 3-4 times more demanding?

No pre-season training with the dogs at all. New country, no family, meeting new teammates while not allowed to mingle outside of training due to retrictions.

All of this needs to be done in the preseason in turn for the comp start in March, not halfway through the season and expecting the bloke to shit out gold nuggets.

The hate and criticism the bloke has copped since his arrival has been disgusting. It is quite obvious the bitches hating on Thompson have never laced their boots on, nor do they have any ideas on what it takes to prepare a player (team) physically and mentally during a preseason ready for a new season

The bitches hating on Thompson need to be bent over naked, over a tree stump, with their assholes as targets for sling shots consisting of 316 stainless steel ball bearings and work boots consisting of torn steel caps
Couldn't agree more. This guy has the goods we can build a future forward pack around him. He has plenty of mongrel and will only improve. I'm new to the kennel but I believe Trent with a few smart signings in the forwards and if Jackson RFM and if Thompson constantly improves we can make a huge dent next year if only we can land a decent half.
The teams problem has been attitude, it's like they have nothing to play for and last night showed that when the occasion was there (Jackos 200) they are a capable unit.
I just hope they don't read the kennel.
I trust in the board and Trent.That they have a common vision. Through our past 3 seasons as fans it's easy to disparage but let's get behind these guys next year and at least trust that they know what their doing support is what is needed and these guys could use a fan base that gives them a united front. I'm aware I sound like a Pollyanna piece of shit but hey I have seen a future at this club and it can begin next season.
Go the Doggies

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Spot on !

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Not sure where people are getting this false information from about him not playing all year, ESL starts in January, he played 6 games for St Helens before the comp stopped as well as the world club challenge.

You're correct in terms of the standard and level of ESL which is what a lot of the criticism stems from, the fact that NRL is a different level.

I've been critical or Thompson at times (especially the storm game) but my criticism isn't really about him as a player (He's been solid without being spectacular), my criticism is around the way the board and Hill built him up and made him out to be a Bentley when in reality he's more of a Honda (nothing wrong with Hondas).

Overall I think he'll be a solid contributor but probably lacks the physical attributes to be the dominant power forward that Hill and Anderson sold him as.