Feel good News Article - Mahoney

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Feel good article about our two biggest signings Mahoney and Kikau not wanting to be here last year and regretting the decision to come. They pulled through enormous mental strength, ironclad contracts they could not get out of and swelled bank accounts. At least he admitted his form was terrible last year but its a worry one of our senior leaders questioned if he wanted to be at the club. Hoping for a big year from Mahoney, if he makes the wrong decisions in attack old Critta will be like Sailor in Union.

Bulldogs hooker Reed Mahoney has revealed he questioned his decision to join the club soon after arriving whilst also battling with a turbulent debut season as captain.The 25-year-old landed in Belmore ahead of the 2023 season and was handed the leadership role by rookie coach Cameron Ciraldo, calling upon his finals experiences with the Eels.

But what was in store for him was a far cry from Parramatta’s grand final appearance in 2022, with the Bulldogs finishing in 15th place with only seven wins from 24 games. Mahoney was asked by foxsports.com.au if it was tough moving from a side that were only one win away from lifting the premiership trophy to the Bulldogs. Mahoney admitted he briefly questioned whether his move was the right decision but revealed it was the character of the people around him which ensured he kept the faith.

“Well they (Parramatta) didn’t make finals either so that made me feel better, look mate you want to come here and think you’re having an immediate impact on the group,” he said.

“I probably put a bit too much on my shoulders that I was going to come here and do that, it was hard of course.

“I think Kiks (Kikau) and a lot of other boys had the same sort of feeling, you go ‘oh, I’m not sure I made the right decision’.

“But when you’ve got really good people around you, coaches and players, and you see where we are going and the people you have coming you just keep working every day.

“You keep building brick by brick, and I think the last 12 weeks of pre-season we have done that and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.”

Outside of the 2018 season where he only played eight games for the wooden spoon-winning Eels, Mahoney featured in the finals in the four other years he played under Brad Arthur.The gun hooker was an integral figure in Parramatta’s success but admitted his performances weren’t up to standard for the in his debut season as a captain.“The whole thing was a learning for me, when someone says to you that you’re a captain people just see there’s a C next to your name,” Mahoney said.

“It’s more than that, it’s what you do every day and everything you do there’s a consequence, whether that is right or wrong.

“The whole season was a lesson for me and I’ve had a lot of time in the off-season to reflect on that and try to be the best version of me so I can lead by example.

Hoping I get the opportunity again to try and do that and keep trying to put things in place.”Mahoney doesn’t need to look far back into the NRL history books for inspirational leaders.Storm legend Cameron Smith was named Dally M Captain of the Year five times and steered both Melbourne and Queensland around the park for over a decade.Meanwhile, players like Boyd Cordner and Paul Gallen led with their actions over their words in premierships victories for the Roosters and Sharks respectively.

For Mahoney, being a captain and enduring what was a tough campaign has only made him have a deeper appreciation for those leaders who have come before him.“Yeah of course, you sort of appreciate all the captains that have captained for hundreds of games, multiple hundreds of games. You appreciate how good they’ve been for so long,” he said.It’s more than what people see between the four walls here and it’s more than what you do on the field that makes you a good captain.

“I’ve got a lot of learning to do and a lot of things to do to get myself right, but I’m loving the challenge and excited for what the future holds.”
It wasn’t just Mahoney that endured a baptism of fire in 2023, it was also a nightmare for Ciraldo who was one of rugby league’s most touted coaches ahead of his appointment.Ciraldo, however, knows the value in building a project having spent years in Penrith’s coaching system before working under Ivan Cleary and winning two premierships.
Mahoney said his relationship with Ciraldo had grown over their first year together.

“It’s hard, you obviously pick and choose at everything and it probably took me a while to put my hand up and say some of my footy wasn’t up to standard,”

“I think we’ve got a really good relationship where I can sit down in his office and have conversations, whether he’s right or I’m right, and at the end of the day we sort it out.

“Our relationship is building quite well and it’s still got a long way to go... you’ve got to build trust, you’ve got to build combinations, new coach and things like that. There’s things I’ve taken out of last season and as a group we felt that a bit.
“Not making excuses but we had a lot of injuries to a lot of out star players last year early on, they were our leaders of the pack and that really did hinder us.
“We probably didn’t have the depth that we liked, but this year we have definitely got that.”

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Foxsports eh...

This reads a lot like a rehash of a similar story from last year, at around this same time.

Having a look in that article he says something very similar. It looks like the "journalist" from Fox sports has asked him if he ever had any regrets, and he's said the same thing he did before, but the "journalist" has written it to make it sound like he was referring to the midst of the 2023 season. He isn't, he is talking about the midst of the 2022 season.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Red flags deluxe. This guy should not be our captain nor should flat earth burton. I hate to say it but I think crichton should be our captain
Couldn’t believe I was reading it tbh. Not something to boost confidence in your beaten down fan base. Andrew Ryan (hated at the time by many on here) wouldn’t have spoken like this

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn’t believe I was reading it tbh. Not something to boost confidence in your beaten down fan base. Andrew Ryan (hated at the time by many on here) wouldn’t have spoken like this
I don't think Mahoney or Burton should have been or should be captains.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Red flags deluxe. This guy should not be our captain nor should flat earth burton. I hate to say it but I think crichton should be our captain
“But when you’ve got really good people around you, coaches and players, and you see where we are going and the people you have coming you just keep working every day.

“You keep building brick by brick, and I think the last 12 weeks of pre-season we have done that and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.”

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Looking back at our great captains in history. Terry Lamb, Steve Mortimer, George Peponis, James Graham, Steven Price, Andrew Ryan, Michael Ennis, Dean Pay, Peter Tunks, Darren Britt just to name a few. These former players were great leaders in inspiring their team mates unconditionally to win at all cost never doubting themselves with pride for the jersey.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Red flags deluxe.
Agree - the colourful circus identities are lurking :-).

Reed will be fine this year with his workload reduced and he’s not afraid to engage with referees - in fact he’s better at it than Jacko was despite his many fine attributes. Burton should not have been game day co-Captain and should concentrate on his game and that’s hopefully one lesson Ciro took from last year.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nothing story. It's human nature to have doubts if you've joined a club that is struggling so badly.. Especially if you've come from clubs that make the top four or win comps every year. But Mahoney and Kikau are both committed long term and the only way to change things is hard work and everyone coming together and building that trust as a team.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Nothing story. It's human nature to have doubts if you've joined a club that is struggling so badly.. Especially if you've come from clubs that make the top four or win comps every year. But Mahoney and Kikau are both committed long term and the only way to change things is hard work and everyone coming together and building that trust as a team.
Yeah but none of that fits the clown narrative.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Admitting these things publicly is a sign of weakness and lack of maturity and is unheard of from a club captain (if not, pls show me proof of other examples). Our former greats would be disgusted wit these comments from our extremely prilvilged current captain

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Admitting these things publicly is a sign of weakness and lack of maturity and is unheard of from a club captain (if not, pls show me proof of other examples). Our former greats would be disgusted wit these comments from our extremely prilvilged current captain
Didn’t this time last year Mahoney say how great it’s going and lots of photos posted of the Chinese dinner?

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stating that Luai was signed and on big overs was a sign of stupidity but you’re still here. Perhaps you can answer your own question rather than trolling the forum

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stating that Luai was signed and on big overs was a sign of stupidity but you’re still here. Perhaps you can answer your own question rather than trolling the forum
Its been proven beyond doubt that I was right about that but this isnt a luai thread this is a mahoney captaincy thread. Stay on topic stop derailing