Fed Govt's new proposed voting legislation

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some people may remember the voter card from a quite a few years ago. Some people still use them when they come to vote, and for AEC staff it's super handy. Not to mention a voter ID card could have their state and federal areas mentioned on it, so people would know what areas they are in.

I'd say the next logical step would be a Voter ID card, with an individual QR Code on it. As the person arrives to be marked off the role, you scan their QR code, confirm their details (if required), and issue a vote. AEC already have basic digital rolls on tablets, but even a large polling booth would normally only get 2.

That said it would cut down on a stack of paper (for starters), and make it pretty hard for someone to either fudge or double vote.

Sadly for every system there will be people trying to cheat it.

Worth noting too, anything that lessens the ability for people to fire up at AEC staff is also good, as most polling booths see at least 1 or 2 people fire up and cause a scene during an election.
The dreaded "Australia Card". This concept of a citizenship card has always been used as a weapon by politicians, and turned into a symbol of repression. Since the advent of Covid-19 we may be prepared to carry some form of ID, if it allows freedom to travel and right of entry.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The dreaded "Australia Card". This concept of a citizenship card has always been used as a weapon by politicians, and turned into a symbol of repression. Since the advent of Covid-19 we may be prepared to carry some form of ID, if it allows freedom to travel and right of entry.
They have all of that info anyway I guess. It's just the little card missing :grinning:

Maybe you'll need to use covid app and proof of vaxx status to enter polling booth on election day? Fed Govt too afraid to vax mandate ....but ok to put up this new legislation.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Should be able to vote through service nsw app, and not have to go to a school to vote.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Doesnt worry me, shouldn't have to vote if you don't want too also, but having to go to a school on a weekend I should send them my invoice at triple time to them.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
They have all of that info anyway I guess. It's just the little card missing :grinning:

Maybe you'll need to use covid app and proof of vaxx status to enter polling booth on election day? Fed Govt too afraid to vax mandate ....but ok to put up this new legislation.
Same with their call for freedom of speech while trying to shut down social media.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Same with their call for freedom of speech while trying to shut down social media.
Grace Tame has been frozen out of the new child assault report/enquiry. Can only be due to speaking out.

Porter, Peter Van Oselen and Andrew Laming all threatening to sue Prof Gemma Carey for Twitter comments.