Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Follows the voter suppression being implemented by the Republican party in the USA, designed to deny votes of targeted groups that don't support the conservatives.

We have no history of massive voter fraud (neither does the USA), so this is a furphy.
The divisive trends we have being rolled out here are very concerning. I called it years ago with the aspects of Trumpism and RWNJ infiltrating our politics :(

The "Australian Way" is changing for the worse.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Everyone has a Drivers Licence, Medicare Card, and bank card anyway. That's over 100 there.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance as I haven't read too much into this but how is this such a bad thing?

Doesn't this help further prevent voter fraud? Wouldn't the vast majority of the population (even those in poorer communities) have 100 points of ID? And if not, do those that didn't vote in the first place?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not necessarily against having to prove identity somehow to vote, but the reasons behind this are so fucking dodgy, and provide yet another distraction from the REAL political and democratic issues we should be dealing with.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance as I haven't read too much into this but how is this such a bad thing?

Doesn't this help further prevent voter fraud? Wouldn't the vast majority of the population (even those in poorer communities) have 100 points of ID? And if not, do those that didn't vote in the first place?
Regional communities have difficulty accessing those services to get a voter ID

Poverty levels have some people having no fixed address in metro areas, again difficulty in these people receiving a voter ID through mail because they have no fixed address

Costs around this voter ID not identified, which again affects those poor people

That's the general type of things that affect getting a voter ID, we won't know more until the exact details of this is revealed. But as others have said voter fraud isn't really a problem in Australia, this is Trumpian politics

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This will possibly wind up with loads of people copping fines for not voting as well.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Regional communities have difficulty accessing those services to get a voter ID

Poverty levels have some people having no fixed address in metro areas, again difficulty in these people receiving a voter ID through mail because they have no fixed address

Costs around this voter ID not identified, which again affects those poor people

That's the general type of things that affect getting a voter ID, we won't know more until the exact details of this is revealed. But as others have said voter fraud isn't really a problem in Australia, this is Trumpian politics
But most people, even in those areas would have a combination of a driver's licence/passport/birth certificate, a Medicare card and a bank card wouldn't they?

I'm very anti-government on most things and am usually for those that are disenfranchised, but like I said, do those communities that this is more likely to impact vote heavily in the first place? If they don't have the credentials you've mentioned, then how were they able to vote before?

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I just want the sausage sizzle..

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The anti-vaxxers don't want to show proof of vaccination. As if they would want to show a drivers license, medicare card, passport or rates bill (which actually show real personal info) just to vote.

And they all tend to be conservative voters.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The AEC predicts that voter fraud was 0.03% at the last federal election. There is no evidence that voter fraud has impacted any election.

False information, lying, corruption and pork barrelling by candidates on the other hand...

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
But most people, even in those areas would have a combination of a driver's licence/passport/birth certificate, a Medicare card and a bank card wouldn't they?

I'm very anti-government on most things and am usually for those that are disenfranchised, but like I said, do those communities that this is more likely to impact vote heavily in the first place? If they don't have the credentials you've mentioned, then how were they able to vote before?
How does it work for postal votes?

Tuffers

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Australian population is 25.7 million. Compulsory voting so turnout is high (92%, so approx. 23.6 million). How many cases of fraud in that number? 16 from last election.

How many legitimate people would be turned away from voting with new legislation? I expect it would be significantly higher than 16.

Good to see the government focusing on the important issues as usual.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
This will possibly wind up with loads of people copping fines for not voting as well.
Generally it is unwise to fine people for not voting if you've had a narrow victory. They might turn up next time, and vote against you.