Favorite Sitcoms

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Aside from TV shows, what sitcoms specifically are your, not necessarily of today, but of all time? There are plenty out there. You can use this forum as a reference: https://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/

Cheers: I really only caught up on this show watching the re-runs on 11, but it seems to be a show that set the stage for Becker in some form. There are a few references to this bar in Becker, and it has a typical 80s/90s bar feel to it.

Blossom: I remember watching this show in the early 90s. It was a pretty cool family-friendly sitcom that would sometimes venture out of the comfort zone, but was overall a show that was pretty cool. Having a 15 year old girl as the centre was a bit risky, but I think overall it was good.

Boy Meets World: Much like Blossom, I only remember watching this show in the early-mid 90s. The show ran right up until 2000 and was actually cancelled in it's prime due to the actors in the show needing to finish their high school studies. I never managed to get into the spin-off, Girl Meets World, however.

Full House: I bet you guys here can still remember the opening jingle, right? This show was awesome and family friendly. I think they took a wrong turn by having Mary Kate and Ashley play one character. I mean I know there are laws involved in this but I think it would've been cool having them both play individual characters. Awesome show. Again, it didn't get into the "Fuller House" spin-off.

Friends: This was only a show I watch (even the re-runs to this day) sporadically. It's just if it's on TV and there's nothing else on, I'll watch it. It can be pretty funny at times thanks mainly to Joey and Chandler. I think Phoebe's character was a little too dopey though lol.

Home Improvement: Everyone know what time it is? Tool Time. This show was pretty good in it's prime I'l admit. I think when it got cancelled in 1999, it was a little over-due.

Just Shoot Me: This show was, in my opinion, the one that made David Spade. A unique show set in the office of a magazine in New York City. It had it's moments, but again, I think it went a season or 2 too long.

Married... with Children: Ed O'Neill. That is all. He was capable of making a boring show salesman's character as funny as can be. I loved this show - it was set in Suburban Chicago though, not New York.

The Nanny: This was another Sitcom set in New York, however what I liked about this show is that the main character(s) weren't the funny ones. I think Niles and C.C. were what made this show as funny as it was, and last as long as it did.

Sabrina, the Teenage Witch: You're probably thinking "WTF" when it comes to this one. Well, it's simple really. Remember back in the 90s when the Footy was on delayed telecast on Friday nights? Something needed to fill the void between 7:30-8:30 - and this was the only half-decent thing on, so I got into it I guess. It was pretty funny. The 2 aunts as well as Salem the cat were all pretty funny.

Seinfeld: Long hailed as the Greatest Sitcom of all time, I never really got into it until well after it's cancellation. I mean I can see it's funny now, however back in the 90s, I was only interested in The Simpsons, so Seinfeld, as good as it was, wasn't a show I watched. I can see now though that it was a great show and can see why it's the greatest.

Spin City: Another show I got into after it's cancellation. The show is currently on Stan and that's how I'm tuning into it. A great show, and Michael J Fox, who is also the main character, is also the funniest - very unusual for a sitcom.

Step by Step: I remember watching this show in the early-mid 90s. Man this was a funny show. They brought Cody in at the best time and he gave it the boost it needed. Now, this show was about 2 differing families living together after the single parents get married, and how they manage to live together.

Becker: Well, it's pretty simple. This show is one of my favorite sitcoms ever. Easily in my top 3. You wouldn't think a show about a consistently angry doctor would be up there, but Ted Danson nails it on the head in his portal as John Becker. There are a few references to Cheers throughout the show including appearances from Cheers cast members. Set in the Bronx, NYC, the show has only a few areas of filming, such as the practice, the dinner, and Johns apartment, however there are several other areas used throughout the show, including actual filming done in New York in the outdoors scenes. Great show.

Everybody Loves Raymond: Another great sitcom which I always used to watch with Becker as they ran one after the other - even the re-runs to this day on 11 have them running together. Great show set in suburban New York about a dysfunctional family with Raymond's over-bearing parents who live across the street always interfering and criticising Raymond and his family. It sounds dark, but is very funny. It ages quite gracefully as well as I find the longer the show went on, the better the episodes became.

How I Met Your Show: The spiritual successor to friends, this show ran for 9 seasons, and it took that long Ted to tell us who the mother was. It didn't end the way most of the fans wanted it to end, but we at least enjoyed the choice of actress who they chose as the mother.

Two and a Half Men: Until the departure of Charlie Sheen in 2012, this show was great. It had a pretty simple watch, rinse, repeat sense to it, however, they changed things up perfectly in order to keep it fresh and I think that had a lot to do with it's success. I will say this though, Ashton Kutcher showing up ruined the show completely as they changed it in almost every way. It should've been cancelled once Charlie Sheen departed, or, better yet, kiss and make up, and continue making a great show. Oh well... common sense never prevails.

Modern Family: This show was one of those rare sitcoms I liked to watch that didn't have a studio audience of laugh track. That way you knew whenever you laughed at something it was legit. Now, I don't agree with the concept of a modern family, but this shows stories were hilarious.

Rules of Engagement: My goodness you talk about a unique show, this is it. Now yes, it's in New York, however it's concept is different. We have a married couple where a wife always tries to better her husband and fails nearly each time, a young engaged couple who are fairly friendly but very naive with what marriage has in store for them, and their single, stupid, womanising friend, who later hires an intelligent graduate to be his assistant.

2 Broke Girls: I watched this based on the cast. Now at first this comedy is great, but it's one of those ones that can get old and boring pretty quickly. It comes as no surprise though that it got cancelled at a time when the story wasn't yet complete.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Of the recent era, some of the best have been:

A Good Place
Brooklyn nine-nine
The Office (US)
Last Man Standing

If you haven't seen Last Man Standing, I would highly recommend it. It stars Tim Allan and it's a spiritual successor to Home Improvement. Except in this case he has 3 daughters instead of 3 sons, and he owns an outdoors camping and hunting shop. They even have a lot of the home improvement cast guest starring on it. A lot of the humour revolves around him being a diehard Obama hating Republican to the point that it was axed at one stage due to it being too pro-Trump, but fan backlash got it back on the air.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Currently on my umpteen re-watch of HIMYM.

Barney Stinson is the greatest character of any sitcom of all time in my opinion.

Terrible ending to the series (the alternate ending is much better!) - the entirety of season 9 (95% of it) was literally all for nothing.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Much prefer the older style dramas. Macgyver and diagnosis murder are two favs. Love it wen I’ve got day off, and they pop up around midday on tele. Watch them, then roll over for a nap. Now that’s living!!!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I love 2 broke girls. I'm in love with the brunette.

And the Arab chef is a funny horny ****. Plus the original MILF is in it.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Also used to like News Radio, only because Phil Hartman was in it.

Voice of Troy McClure/Lionel Huttz AKA Migel Sanchez.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Of the recent era, some of the best have been:

A Good Place
Brooklyn nine-nine
The Office (US)
Last Man Standing

If you haven't seen Last Man Standing, I would highly recommend it. It stars Tim Allan and it's a spiritual successor to Home Improvement. Except in this case he has 3 daughters instead of 3 sons, and he owns an outdoors camping and hunting shop. They even have a lot of the home improvement cast guest starring on it. A lot of the humour revolves around him being a diehard Obama hating Republican to the point that it was axed at one stage due to it being too pro-Trump, but fan backlash got it back on the air.
I was a fan of Last Man Standing until they started changing the roles of some of the characters (I think one of the daughters was changed after one season). I just couldn't get into it after that. I think channel 10 moved it to 11 and that was it.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Currently on my umpteen re-watch of HIMYM.

Barney Stinson is the greatest character of any sitcom of all time in my opinion.

Terrible ending to the series (the alternate ending is much better!) - the entirety of season 9 (95% of it) was literally all for nothing.
The episode "Sparkles" that had the Pussycat Dolls lead singer in it was IMO the funniest episode of that show.

The way Barney and Ted were holding pissing themselves laughing in was so funny LMAO.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I love 2 broke girls. I'm in love with the brunette.

And the Arab chef is a funny horny ****. Plus the original MILF is in it.
Oleg was Ukranian but looked like a filthy Arab lol.

The episode where Kat Dennings was dressed like a French Maid was awesome.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
My top 5 in no particular order...

HIMYM
Seinfeld
Everybody Loves Raymond
2 and a half men (With Charlie Sheen)
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
My all time fave American sitcoms include Seinfeld, Curb, Frasier, Mash, 3rd Rock from the Sun.... Ned and Stacy was great (love how odd and offbeat that show was. Seriously underrated) ....Raymond is also pretty good. The US Office was enjoyable (although a little overrated, IMO....still good for a laugh. I used to enjoy That 70s Show and Roseanne. Big Bang is Ok....but again, pretty overrated. I loved Married With Children back in the day. In terms of modern sitcoms, I don't watch much.....but The Neighbourhood is pretty funny. Mork and Mindy was great just because of Robin Williams

I'm not including British comedies here because many of my favourites ie Fawlty Towers, Blackadder etc only had limited episodes and weren't really long running sitcoms, but I love British comedies.

I also love vintage Simpsons and South park, but don't think they are really sitcoms.

Can't really get into HIMYM ....it strikes me as a bit paint by the numbers....and I think 2 Broke Girls is pretty ordinary.....Friends is mildly amusing, but seriously overrated IMO. Anyway, I get that some people love those shows....to each their own.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Married With Children. The ultimate. They should give it airtime nowadays and watch PC sooks go into full meltdown.
Rules Of Engagement. The lead lady's hooters steal the show. But a very funny show regardless.
King Of Queens. The wife in the show, in her prime, was pretty much the blueprint for the absolute perfect woman. Sexy as hell, with a wicked sense of humour. Shit I must've watched those episodes 10 times over. She was a goddess. Plastic surgery has been her demise judging by seeing her recently on something else.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
My all time fave American sitcoms include Seinfeld, Curb, Frasier, Mash, 3rd Rock from the Sun.... Ned and Stacy was great (love how odd and offbeat that show was. Seriously underrated) ....Raymond is also pretty good. The US Office was enjoyable (although a little overrated, IMO....still good for a laugh. I used to enjoy That 70s Show and Roseanne. Big Bang is Ok....but again, pretty overrated. I loved Married With Children back in the day. In terms of modern sitcoms, I don't watch much.....but The Neighbourhood is pretty funny. Mork and Mindy was great just because of Robin Williams

I'm not including British comedies here because many of my favourites ie Fawlty Towers, Blackadder etc only had limited episodes and weren't really long running sitcoms, but I love British comedies.

I also love vintage Simpsons and South park, but don't think they are really sitcoms.

Can't really get into HIMYM ....it strikes me as a bit paint by the numbers....and I think 2 Broke Girls is pretty ordinary.....Friends is mildly amusing, but seriously overrated IMO. Anyway, I get that some people love those shows....to each their own.
Fawlty Towers yep for sure. Great show.