WWOS MOLE EXCLUSIVE: Struggling Bulldogs consider move for England rugby coach Eddie Jones

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some valid points for sure, especially about the fact he brings a winning culture.

My issue is that he has really only been an assistant at the Roosters. He also has basically only been in and around the Roosters system with all the advantages, comforts and familiarity that comes with that.

How would he handle moving to a whole different club, culture and system without any known support or trusted/familiar faces around to advise and support him. Under normal situations it wouldn't be such an issue but we are going through a shit storm so it isn't so simple.

Also, is it such a good idea to give such an inexperienced and untested coach access to a "newly minted" cheque book, not the Roosters reported "blank" cheque book.

I thought Holbrook was a good choice FROM 2020 because he has coached in the Bulldogs system, has experience in several clubs systems, has also worked with the current super coach Robinson (granted before their current success) and also had 2 years as a head coach with the full responsibility that entails. Sure it was for an ESL team but arguably their most successful and demanding team's.

I don't think our situation at the moment is suitable for a first time head coach without any support from an experienced " coaching director" or whatever you want to call them, or already having some knowledge/support base within the club.

A seasoned campaigner would have the skills and experience to navigate but a rookie would struggle given the circumstances.

In the end, neither will be coaching the dogs in 2021 sadly
You could argue that him being within the Roosters system so much is an advantage. The Mozzies have come out and said its nothing like what theyve experienced before, and they are playing out of their skin.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Some valid points for sure, especially about the fact he brings a winning culture.

My issue is that he has really only been an assistant at the Roosters. He also has basically only been in and around the Roosters system with all the advantages, comforts and familiarity that comes with that.

How would he handle moving to a whole different club, culture and system without any known support or trusted/familiar faces around to advise and support him. Under normal situations it wouldn't be such an issue but we are going through a shit storm so it isn't so simple.

Also, is it such a good idea to give such an inexperienced and untested coach access to a "newly minted" cheque book, not the Roosters reported "blank" cheque book.

I thought Holbrook was a good choice FROM 2020 because he has coached in the Bulldogs system, has experience in several clubs systems, has also worked with the current super coach Robinson (granted before their current success) and also had 2 years as a head coach with the full responsibility that entails. Sure it was for an ESL team but arguably their most successful and demanding team's.

I don't think our situation at the moment is suitable for a first time head coach without any support from an experienced " coaching director" or whatever you want to call them, or already having some knowledge/support base within the club.

A seasoned campaigner would have the skills and experience to navigate but a rookie would struggle given the circumstances.

In the end, neither will be coaching the dogs in 2021 sadly
You're entitled to your opinions, man.....from my POV, we can only go with the options that are available and I think Fitzgibbon is a better option than Holbrook at this stage.....let's be honest, Holbrook's experience is very limited in experience coaching a top team as well.....yes, he has coached St Helens, but honestly, there are only a handful of half decent sides in Super League.....my grandmother could probably coach st helens to a title.

All coaches have to start somewhere. I'd go for Fitzgibbon and maybe look at someone like Gould in a supervision/ coaching director's role...... I think Fitzgibbon would be just as likely to lure new talent as an untested coach like Holbrook who hasn't exactly made an impressive start to his NRL career..... and he's good mates with all he guys at the roosters, which is a good place to start looking for new recruits.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The struggling Canterbury Bulldogs are considering making a move for renowned rugby union coach Eddie Jones for next season.

Current England coach Jones has reportedly expressed interest in a code switch and has already attracted the eye of the Cronulla Sharks.

But Wide World of Sports has learned that the Bulldogs, having almost certainly missed out on super coaches Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett, are now looking in Jones' direction.

Dean Pay is coming off contract at the end of this year and is one of a host of NRL coaches under pressure to keep their jobs for 2021.

Pay inherited a poor roster at the start of last season and has struggled to get the best out of the Bulldogs.

They missed the finals last season and look likely to do so again this year, sitting at the bottom of the ladder with just one win to date.

Jones, who turned 60 this year, has a glittering coaching resume with both Australia and England and is regarded as one of the great thinkers in world rugby.

Former Wallabies coach Alan Jones made the switch to league with both Balmain and Souths in the 1990s but enjoyed little success.
Jones knows how to win and that's a plus already, just for once announce we've signed Eddie Jones, but instead it's the Bulldogs are thinking of or so and so name has been linked, FFS sign fucking someone before were too late yet again, fuck this board are useless.
Can't sign players, can't sign a decent coach, can any of these C**** do anything right, I'll answer my own question 'fuck NO'.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You're entitled to your opinions, man.....from my POV, we can only go with the options that are available and I think Fitzgibbon is a better option than Holbrook at this stage.....let's be honest, Holbrook's experience is very limited in experience coaching a top team as well.....yes, he has coached St Helens, but honestly, there are only a handful of half decent sides in Super League.....my grandmother could probably coach st helens to a title.

All coaches have to start somewhere. I'd go for Fitzgibbon and maybe look at someone like Gould in a supervision/ coaching director's role...... I think Fitzgibbon would be just as likely to lure new talent as an untested coach like Holbrook who hasn't exactly made an impressive start to his NRL career..... and he's good mates with all he guys at the roosters, which is a good place to start looking for new recruits.
Nah Holbrook improved Saints attacking structures and systems after losing Barba... So he has some tactical nous

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
You could argue that him being within the Roosters system so much is an advantage. The Mozzies have come out and said its nothing like what theyve experienced before, and they are playing out of their skin.
And that's our biggest problem ATM, they have an entire system that he is just 1 of... our system doesn't look to be that organised and well oiled hence the reluctance on a rookie coach going it alone regardless of who it is, Pay, Holbrook or Fitzgibbon.

Our coach for 2021 and 2022 could well be the most important decision we have had to make for some time.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And that's our biggest problem ATM, they have an entire system that he is just 1 of... our system doesn't look to be that organised and well oiled hence the reluctance on a rookie coach going it alone regardless of who it is, Pay, Holbrook or Fitzgibbon.

Our coach for 2021 and 2022 could well be the most important decision we have had to make for some time.
He would know what it takes and would be the best person to implement changes based on that logic. Nothings that simple but thats how I see it.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might encourage the team to push in scrums or try to milk a penalty by the lock keeping the ball in the scrum or screwing the scrum when the opposition elects to take a scrum on the side of the field.