EXCLUSIVE: Phil Gould reveals worrying 'suspicion'

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Phil Gould reveals worrying 'suspicion' after Bulldogs player takes mental health leave
EXCLUSIVE: Phil Gould reveals worrying 'suspicion' after Bulldogs player takes mental health leave
Canterbury football boss Phil Gould believes medical records may have been leaked relating to the mental health of a player.

Source SMH

Gould made the revelation on Wide World of Sports' Six Tackles with Gus podcast after reports surfaced about unrest at the Bulldogs.

A story over the weekend claimed as many as eight players had raised concerns about workload under first-year coach Cameron Ciraldo.

READ MORE: World Cup kiss scandal explodes

READ MORE: Legend's grim Latrell warning amid text scandal

READ MORE: Ange disaster as Spurs knocked out in 18-year first

A later report then alleged one player walked out of a training session after being punished for arriving late, and then supposedly took leave from the club.

Gould confirmed a player has taken leave due to mental health reasons, but that details are not able to be made public due to the nature of the situation.

Canterbury Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould. (Getty)
"This is one of those where, as a club, we need to be very measured in our response, because there are some very sensitive matters at stake here," Gould said.

"It's just too sensitive to be giving details about what did or didn't occur, or what effect that's had on anyone that was involved. There are some exaggerations and some embellishments, but to even debate those issues is unnecessary at the time.

"We're certainly very mindful of the mental health and welfare of the player involved, and there is a lot of sensitivity around that.

Stream the NRL premiership 2023 live and free on 9Now

"It's not as though he walked out after the event, he was still with the club for another week and then decided he needed to take some leave, and he's been doing that.

"We've been waiting on some reports from medical people which we now have in our possession.

"My suspicion is that details of that report have been leaked out in some way, shape or form, which is why the media has now suddenly seized upon the story.

Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo. (Matt King via Getty Images)
"Our priority is the welfare of the player, it's as simple as that."

Opinion around the game has been split since the revelation that certain players were unhappy with their workload.

The Bulldogs are about to miss NRL finals for a seventh straight year, and Gould has no issue with the methods Ciraldo is employing to drag the team up the ladder.

"Cameron Ciraldo has at all times defended his coaching style and the type of training that we're doing at the Bulldogs, and we all support that wholeheartedly," Gould said.

"No one has walked out, I can tell you that. No player has complained to us at the club about anything around training or culture.

"It's good to know now the public understands how hard we work, because at times when you watch us play you would wonder whether or not we did.

Roosters sink Bulldogs with two blows

"It gets hard for some, it gets too hard for others, but the ones that come out the other side are the ones you want to build your club around."

Ciraldo himself fronted media on Wednesday morning to address the situation.

He didn't deny that players worked long hours, or that sometimes punishments were handed out for various indiscretions, but he made no apology.

"It hasn't been brought up. They are rumours but if there are people who don't want to work hard and don't want to tick every box to win NRL games then they don't have to be here," Ciraldo said.

The Bulldogs finish their season against Gold Coast on Sunday.

Last edited:

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't believe it for a second.

Seems to he is protecting his staff, for the so called treatment of a player 'suffering mental illness'

BulldogsNation

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gus job is to fix our junior pathways and systems. He has done a great job at that.

His involvement in everything else is a stain... focus on the juniors and talking out of your ass on ch9. Don't need anything else

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The line about leaking medical reports - yeah that seems bullshit to me.

Find it hard to believe RFM and his manager would go to that extent lol

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus is the master of excuses, deflection, spin, and in many cases lying.

What an absolute disgrace this entire season has become. Total circus

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't buy into the mental health aspect of this. It's not like they would have hazed the player (assuming it's Topine) to the point of mental torment.

There's no doubt some of our players aren't mentally strong enough or good enough talent wise, so I don't blame Ciraldo for trying to change things. But I also don't think Ciraldo is faultless for how this season has turned out on and off the field. The club needs improvement and accountability across the whole squad and coaching staff.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Who gives a fuck if Gould is spinning or not, he's got the clubs best interest at the front of his mind. He's weeding out the bullshit that can't hack it and that's all that matters at this point in time.

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus haters what are your agendas ?
It's evident Gus's and the club must prioritize the players mental welfare just in case it's serious,
The question is how serious is it really IMO it's not or at least I hope it isn't !
This is why...
He said
* We support Ciro.
* No player has complained.
* The public NOW understands our work ethics.
* It gets hard for some, harder for others, only the worthy will survive.
Does it sound like someone that has anything to worry about ?

Last edited:

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus haters what are your agendas ?
It's evident Gus's and the club must prioritize the players mental welfare just in case it's serious,
The question is how serious is it really IMO it's not or at least I hope it isn't !
This is why...
He said
* We support Ciro.
* No player has complained.
* The public NOW understands our work ethics.
* It gets hard for some, harder for others, only the worthy will survive.
Does sound like someone has anything to worry about ?
My agenda is that the bloke makes my skin crawl. He can take the club to the promised land in 2050 or whenever but I don't have to like the twat.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS we all know Gus is a shit talker but love him or hate him, he is our shit talker.

He is talking shit to shit ***** in the media.

I'm happy with that.
The problem for me is that the amount of shit he is talking is increasing daily. He's already got numerous other clubs offside with his media spin and it won't be long before he turns EVERY potential big name signing's manager off as well (seems this is already happening). Now we have questions over Ciraldo's methods. Like it or not but this is not the 1980's. The players in those days were hard tough MEN not X Box playing kids like today. This is never going to change. This hard line approach can only go so far in 2023 especially if the players are just not that good.