English Import Lee Mossop Claims Super League Is More Physical Than The NRL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right, I will preface what I'm about to say with a simple disclaimer: I really don't have a strong view one way or the other as to whether or not Mossop's comment is correct.

It always amuses me, though, how everyone on The Kennel is an expert on Super League and its relative strengths and weaknesses when , in fact, I think the average number of games people here watch per week is equal to the number of blowjobs that they give to zebras.
Cases in point:
"Pat Richards is crap and will spend all year in reserve grade". Reality: unlucky to miss out on Origin this year
"Jarrod Hickey will be a star in Super League": Reality: too fat to get regular game time at one of the weakest sides
"Drop James Graham to NSW Cup" Reality: No comment necessary

Anybody who actually watched any Super League (all games are on Foxtel here...) would know that these statements were nonsense. Overall, Super League is a weaker competition - nobody seriously doubts that. One third of the teams are NSW Cup standard and one third of the teams would never have a crack at making the finals in an NRL-standard comp. The halves play is, by comparison, unsophisticated - guys like Daniel Holdsworth, Tim Smith etc are average Super League halves whereas they're fringe first graders at best here. The backline play is as good in the past year or two as its been in a decade, but there's still been only one back interest NRL first grade sides - Sam Tomkins. That says it all.

It is, though, a forward-dominated game and the standard of the packs is very very good. I'm not getting into stupid Mossop-like statements as to which is the more physical (remember: more physical can also because it's a less subtle, more "meathead" game that the likes of Cronk, Thurston etc would have a field day playing around) as it's really tough to say. All I would add, is look at the minutes that some Super League forwards play. 80 minute performances by props are still relatively common. It does take a lot pf physicality to thrive in a Super League pack.

That said, it's a moronic comment:

a) does he expect anyone to take him seriously after 32 minutes on the field?
b) what's the likely result of his comment? Players targetting him to prove their physicality. Why bring that on yourself?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Injured again. At least the NRL isn't as soft as he is.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I haven't been watching. What happened to him?
They think dislocated shoulder. He was on the field for about 3 mins.

He shouldn't of tempted fate with his bullshit comments lol

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They think dislocated shoulder. He was on the field for about 3 mins.

He shouldn't of tempted fate with his bullshit comments lol
I wonder if he ever had a dislocated shoulder in Supré League?

Stupid on his behalf putting a target on himself. You would rather ease in & produce a few good performances.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if he ever had a dislocated shoulder in Supré League?

Stupid on his behalf putting a target on himself. You would rather ease in & produce a few good performances.
Not sure if it's the same shoulder, but he has a long history of shoulder issues. He missed the first 10 rounds after offseason shoulder surgery.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Not sure if it's the same shoulder, but he has a long history of shoulder issues. He missed the first 10 rounds after offseason shoulder surgery.
I may be wrong but I think the commentators mentioned it was his other shoulder.

Malla

Reaction score
It's probably more physical in terms of forwards just bashing each other, but the NRL is a lot more physically demanding.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What a knob, first Englishman playing NRL here that has said such a thing, certainly not what the Burgess Boys or James graham have said in the past.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What a knob, first Englishman playing NRL here that has said such a thing, certainly not what the Burgess Boys or James graham have said in the past.
Yup

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The whole reason sbw only did 2 years ,he knows hell get targeted by the players and his body wont take it

TrickmA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I do recall watching England play in the world cup and they were a tough bunch, not as skillful as ours, but tough as nails.

Malla

Reaction score
I do recall watching England play in the world cup and they were a tough bunch, not as skillful as ours, but tough as nails.
Exactly. Look at the NRL now and name the toughest few - Graham, Sam and Tom Burgess will be there. They're just tough and they love the rough stuff. Even Sam Tomkins plays WELL above his weight. He cops a belting week in week out but keeps going. They're tough as anything and I suspect this is what Mossop was referring too. Plus, I think officials there let a lot go in the ruck ie. elbows and fists to the face, eye gouging etc.

Like I said earlier, the NRL is a lot more physically demanding for our players but the ESL is probably a lot more phsyical and tough.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tell that to James graham who got got hammered at first and had to harden up to become one of the best.
There is no way SL is a better comp.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell that to James graham who got got hammered at first and had to harden up to become one of the best.
There is no way SL is a better comp.
In fairness to Mossop, he didn't ever claim Super League was the better comp. I don't think anyone believes that for a second. He was talking just about the physicality - not the skill level.

Status
Not open for further replies.