Electric vs petrol cars

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree, and would expect the service life of the vehicles would allow for such.
Yet, knowing the incompetence of the public service sector…
Anyway, I'm a smart Sydneysider.
I got my licence suspended and have no intention of paying my fines and renewing my licence.

I live 10 minutes away from Bankstown and Punchbowl station so don't need a car.

I recently became a member of the star so I can get a free ride to the city if I need to?

Most of the time I don't tap my opal card on public transport.
With how much of a rip off Sydney is, and how dishonest politicians are it's my God given right to do so!

It's nice to save a minimum of $10,000 a year not worrying about a slave mobile!
Also good not having to hop in a big hunk of metal which is as hot as an oven and being roasted while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic!

I get great amusement watching everyone nearly crash into each other crossing the bridge at Punchbowl road!

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyway, I'm a smart Sydneysider.
I got my licence suspended and have no intention of paying my fines and renewing my licence.

I live 10 minutes away from Bankstown and Punchbowl station so don't need a car.

I recently became a member of the star so I can get a free ride to the city if I need to?

Most of the time I don't tap my opal card on public transport.
With how much of a rip off Sydney is, and how dishonest politicians are it's my God given right to do so!

It's nice to save a minimum of $10,000 a year not worrying about a slave mobile!
Also good not having to hop in a big hunk of metal which is as hot as an oven and being roasted while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic!

I get great amusement watching everyone nearly crash into each other crossing the bridge at Punchbowl road!
It is your choice naturally, yet I would suggest trying and do what's required to get your license back, even if it is as simple as a payment plan, so when the suspension expires, you have the option to drive a vehicle if required.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
It is your choice naturally, yet I would suggest trying and do what's required to get your license back, even if it is as simple as a payment plan, so when the suspension expires, you have the option to drive a vehicle if required.
I've heard that before but I don't want to.
If you have licence and car then it's expected you drive further to a meaningless job you don't like.

I have no desire to be caught in the shitfight of poorly engineered roads!
Another thing a lot of people around Bankstown have no regard for the law.

The way a lot of people drive I'm certain they're on drugs or don't have a licence, or both?

I'd rather just walk or take the train.
I don't view having a licence and a car as a luxury in Sydney anymore.

I'll be glad once the corrupt New South Fails government has metro lines installed everywhere!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
With vehicles, torque helps at any speed. Best off the mark, but more torque means more speed when accelerating even at high speeds for quick overtaking.

Hybrids are different though as hybrids tend to only give torque off the mark. But EVs pull torque at high speeds. But I don't think their high speed torque is as good as an ICE.
Electric motors produce maximum torque at 1 rpm, after that the torque gradually decreases as the rpm rises, in EV's around 20,000 rpm is common maximum rpm. That's why the $big EV's (Porsche, Audi etc) have 2 speed gearboxes, to give them a decent top speed and reduce their power consumption at freeway speeds.

There is an old saying in motor racing (technically not correct) that goes horsepower determines how fast you were going when you hit the wall, torque decides how far you move the wall.

Always a Bulldog

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard that before but I don't want to.
If you have licence and car then it's expected you drive further to a meaningless job you don't like.

I have no desire to be caught in the shitfight of poorly engineered roads!
Another thing a lot of people around Bankstown have no regard for the law.

The way a lot of people drive I'm certain they're on drugs or don't have a licence, or both?

I'd rather just walk or take the train.
I don't view having a licence and a car as a luxury in Sydney anymore.

I'll be glad once the corrupt New South Fails government has metro lines installed everywhere!
Another way to view it is how much have you invested in qualifying for your license.
Are you happy writing off that expense?

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So we can agree that it is not negligent/dangerous to not replace a fluid if used according to the manufacturer's specifications?
It’s good practice to change your Brake fluid every couple of years especially if you dive it hard, but so long as your checking it with a hydrometer it’d be fine to leave.
that doesn’t change the fact that there are countless other items that require servicing on electric cars and the “no maintenance” narrative is a load of horseshit.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s good practice to change your Brake fluid every couple of years especially if you dive it hard, but so long as your checking it with a hydrometer it’d be fine to leave.
that doesn’t change the fact that there are countless other items that require servicing on electric cars and the “no maintenance” narrative is a load of horseshit.
I can see changes in the future to rego checks to accommodate this "no maintenance" industry.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
a second person came forward with an invoice for the same work from another dealer, and it was around $60k as well.
it’s all the hidden costs from buying an EV.. gullible people think buying an EV is no cost motoring.. but the petrol car is way cheaper, more convenient and nicer to drive

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do ambulance use EV?
Imagine being in a life threatening situation and the battery dies?
Someone would get an ambulance for a tight chest and wouldn’t make It to the hospital.. emergency vehicles usually get driven hard so the range would be so poor!! Konked out on the side of the road.

or worse they would not make it to hospital ,be incinerated in a fire…

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Someone would get an ambulance for a tight chest and wouldn’t make It to the hospital.. emergency vehicles usually get driven hard so the range would be so poor!! Konked out on the side of the road.

or worse they would not make it to hospital ,be incinerated in a fire…
The average ambulance in NSW travels 71 km a day, there's not much risk of a flat battery. Of course there are ambulances in non regional areas that travel further, but not much chance of them being EV's for decades due to the lack of recharging infrastructure.

Always a Bulldog

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The average ambulance in NSW travels 71 km a day, there's not much risk of a flat battery. Of course there are ambulances in non regional areas that travel further, but not much chance of them being EV's for decades due to the lack of recharging infrastructure.

Always a Bulldog
we only hope so.. if an ev is not reliable enough for emergency vehicles why are they good enough for the rest of Australian public

71km per day average is also 71 hard km per day… I drove a performance EV recently and knocked off 80km range in 5 minutes of hard driving. I had to stop thrashing it as the owner was concerned they wouldn’t get home

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
we only hope so.. if an ev is not reliable enough for emergency vehicles why are they good enough for the rest of Australian public

71km per day average is also 71 hard km per day… I drove a performance EV recently and knocked off 80km range in 5 minutes of hard driving. I had to stop thrashing it as the owner was concerned they wouldn’t get home
Seriously, an ambulance could carry a battery large enough to give it range for 500+ km driven like an ambulance.

The range drop you experienced (80 km) is in comparison to the last time it was driven, could have been "a little old lady" driving it so the range was overstated. Same as an ICEV, when I get into my wife's car it says 400 km range, then I drive it for while and it says 300 km. Then I get to the freeway and after a while it says 500 km. Not really a useful comparison.

Always a Bulldog

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I got 972km out of a full tank of VY commodore about 10 years ago.
That was mostly Sydney driving and 2 days of driving to Katoomba and back.

On the way back from Katoomba I put the gear in neutral though.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, an ambulance could carry a battery large enough to give it range for 500+ km driven like an ambulance.

The range drop you experienced (80 km) is in comparison to the last time it was driven, could have been "a little old lady" driving it so the range was overstated. Same as an ICEV, when I get into my wife's car it says 400 km range, then I drive it for while and it says 300 km. Then I get to the freeway and after a while it says 500 km. Not really a useful comparison.

Always a Bulldog
wont it average it out more than just a 5 minute drive.. its been driven for a few thousand km before that so my spirited run was a genuine reduction in range. I babied it on the way back and it didn’t jump back
Up.

lots of Tesla tests on the net that show highway drives where they lost 300km range but Only travelled 200km.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every Saturday night blue_boost is doing his research ahead of the next week.

on a sample of 339,000 vehicles in 2023 electric vehicles give 79% more problems than gas vehicles, plug in hybrids 146% more problems than gas vehicles and hybrids 26% less problems than gas vehicles.

I like
Spitting Out facts on a sunday morning

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like sealed auto transmission like u said horseshit.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Tunnel vision by pollies to meet one kpi, that have no vision overall.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Range to empty not calibrating in real time ?