Eastwood fires back to suggestions he is overweight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quillen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do u really think the culture and fitness wont be smashed into him at training by moore, grimaldi and co?
For Eastwood's and our sake, I hope you're right...

I have faith in our coaches also...

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
eastwood looks the same to me. but if he has put on some weight i dont see that as an issue as the coaching staff will be quick in getting him into shape

Jigga

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What the hell are you guys talking about when you say "Well he has gotten by before so it should be fine..."

That is a losing mentality. That is not the culture of this club. You don't just do enough to get by. You bust your ass to be the best you can be. You don't just presume that you will only be needed for 30-40 minutes. You have a professional attitude, apply yourself and get yourself ready for the team in case you need to be called upon for injuries.

I would be furious to see 3 or 4 guys go down and us being down to 1 or no interchanges and Eastwood being a liability out on the field and gasping for air because he doesn't think it is a big deal or a requirement to be in shape.

Again, the easy way out and not putting in complete effort and commitment is not the mentality and culture of this club and should not be tolerated.
I agree but as I said he will strip down the wieght the longer he was here, also the club new what they were buying, a guy that has achieved what he has and can hit and play all in the shape he was, he will not stay that way here and i'm sure take his game to new level and if thats the case he would be a huge pick up for the club, in time we will see if it is attitude or lack of commitment is the reason for the extra wieght and if thats the case i'm sure the club will re-act in the appropriate manner. No losing mentality here btrain, just a smart bit of recruitment.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
What the hell are you guys talking about when you say "Well he has gotten by before so it should be fine..."

That is a losing mentality. That is not the culture of this club. You don't just do enough to get by. You bust your ass to be the best you can be. You don't just presume that you will only be needed for 30-40 minutes. You have a professional attitude, apply yourself and get yourself ready for the team in case you need to be called upon for injuries.

I would be furious to see 3 or 4 guys go down and us being down to 1 or no interchanges and Eastwood being a liability out on the field and gasping for air because he doesn't think it is a big deal or a requirement to be in shape.

Again, the easy way out and not putting in complete effort and commitment is not the mentality and culture of this club and should not be tolerated.
Some guys are just meant to be "bigger" then others. It is not a losing mentality to say that this is how he was at the Broncos, when he won the world cup with NZ he looked like that and it has not been a downfall for him in the past.

He is a great attacker and a very solid defender and we are not expecting him to play 80mins each week. He is best suited to coming off the bench (although he started alot with Brisbane) and giving us 35-45mins a game in 20 minute bursts.

Eastwood wont be a liability with his body shape and he will work hard as all the players will at training.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wasn't sure whether it was you or another kenneler, benny but, you've never been a fan of this signing hey...

?
Look, he is an extremely talented player and has the potential to be one of the best players in the game, he really does. But he has a questionable attitude, work ethic, fitness levels and weight problems. I would want to see a turnaround in those areas and commitment from him before him being in the team.

People calling for guys that have done everything right like Warburton and Lee T to be dropped immediately for a guy who has been here two seconds are insane as far as I'm concerned.

I have no problem with us taking a gamble and signing him. I do have a problem with calls for him to be in FG before he proves his fitness and to be put in ahead of guys who are performing just because he is Greg Eastwood and earns more.

People seem more satisfied with style than substance.

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some guys are just meant to be "bigger" then others. It is not a losing mentality to say that this is how he was at the Broncos, when he won the world cup with NZ he looked like that and it has not been a downfall for him in the past.

He is a great attacker and a very solid defender and we are not expecting him to play 80mins each week. He is best suited to coming off the bench (although he started alot with Brisbane) and giving us 35-45mins a game in 20 minute bursts.

Eastwood wont be a liability with his body shape and he will work hard as all the players will at training.
I agree with everything else but this, "Some guys are just meant to be "bigger" then others."

This not the case. It has everything to diet and exercise. Alot of people here have valid concerns as he has been previously known as someone who is a poor trainer, lazy, doesnt eat well etc..

Quillen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look, he is an extremely talented player and has the potential to be one of the best players in the game, he really does. But he has a questionable attitude, work ethic, fitness levels and weight problems. I would want to see a turnaround in those areas and commitment from him before him being in the team.

People calling for guys that have done everything right like Warburton and Lee T to be dropped immediately for a guy who has been here two seconds are insane as far as I'm concerned.

I have no problem with us taking a gamble and signing him. I do have a problem with calls for him to be in FG before he proves his fitness and to be put in ahead of guys who are performing just because he is Greg Eastwood and earns more.

People seem more satisfied with style than substance.
Nah, I agree with you totally there... He's by no means a walk-up in the squad... not by a long shot.

However, with the loss of Hickey, we do need a wrecking ball... he may fit the bill, but not right this weekend.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
I agree with that, he needs to earn his spot in the side and shouldnt just get a walk in start. Warburton and Te Maari have done the hard yards all off season and played well last week and if they keep doing so, will not get dropped. Eastwood needs to show he has the right attitude and earn his spot.

Quillen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with that, he needs to earn his spot in the side and shouldnt just get a walk in start. Warburton and Te Maari have done the hard yards all off season and played well last week and if they keep doing so, will not get dropped. Eastwood needs to show he has the right attitude and earn his spot.
Totally....

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
I agree with everything else but this, "Some guys are just meant to be "bigger" then others."

This not the case. It has everything to diet and exercise. Alot of people here have valid concerns as he has been previously known as someone who is a poor trainer, lazy, doesnt eat well etc..
Alright, maybe not "bigger" but what i mean is not everyone can have a lean, built body. He does need to lose a few and get into shape but even then he still looks "big" as he was for his playing days at the Broncos

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree but as I said he will strip down the wieght the longer he was here, also the club new what they were buying, a guy that has achieved what he has and can hit and play all in the shape he was, he will not stay that way here and i'm sure take his game to new level and if thats the case he would be a huge pick up for the club, in time we will see if it is attitude or lack of commitment is the reason for the extra wieght and if thats the case i'm sure the club will re-act in the appropriate manner. No losing mentality here btrain, just a smart bit of recruitment.
I'm not saying the club has a losing mentality. I am saying it is a losing mentality and goes against the culture of the club for a player to settle for "getting by" and not pushing themselves, having that drive and commitment to be the best they can be and help the team out as much as possible.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

He hasn't ever been anything but a bench player on a consistent basis throughout his whole career.

Why is that? What is preventing him from being a better player? Ask yourself that and then think back to the points I have raised.

What harm would it do having him in perfect shape and allowing him to be the best player possible? To showcase even more skills than he has and to display more on the footy field because he is in the best shape of his life.

Is it too much to ask that a proffesional footballer who gets paid quite alot gets himself in great shape and prepares himself? That he doesn't settle for "getting by" and "I never play 80 minutes anyway"?

Why can't he play 80 minutes? He is that talented that if he ever improved his attitude and training/diet he could be one of the best in the comp.

I don't know about you but I would rather see Greg Eastwood running around for the Bulldogs playing big minutes and being a phenomenal player because he worked on his fitness then settling for 30-40 minute bursts and asking, "geez, I wish Eastwood could do that more, too bad he isn't fit enough...."

Quillen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry dude... with the squad we've got... the characters in the squad and the characters in the training staff, he'll come good...

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He is a current international.

One of only a few current rep players amongst the bulldogs squad. I guess that alone is above warburton who is NSW cup player of the year.

I dont think he should be picked this week. But next week he should b pushing for selection.

and also he talks like sonny bill lol :p that make him a better player lol

jokes. :p

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don't worry dude... with the squad we've got... the characters in the squad and the characters in the training staff, he'll come good...
I really hope so mate and we could have a great, dangerous player on our hands if he does.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
He hasn't ever been anything but a bench player on a consistent basis throughout his whole career.

Why is that? What is preventing him from being a better player? Ask yourself that and then think back to the points I have raised.

What harm would it do having him in perfect shape and allowing him to be the best player possible? To showcase even more skills than he has and to display more on the footy field because he is in the best shape of his life.

Is it too much to ask that a proffesional footballer who gets paid quite alot gets himself in great shape and prepares himself? That he doesn't settle for "getting by" and "I never play 80 minutes anyway"?

Why can't he play 80 minutes? He is that talented that if he ever improved his attitude and training/diet he could be one of the best in the comp.

I don't know about you but I would rather see Greg Eastwood running around for the Bulldogs playing big minutes and being a phenomenal player because he worked on his fitness then settling for 30-40 minute bursts and asking, "geez, I wish Eastwood could do that more, too bad he isn't fit enough...."
He will get himself into shape and i know what you are saying. With the coaching staff and the new attitude that we have, he will have no choice but to get harder on his training and get into shape.

I think people are going overboard with all this talk that he is lazy and overweight. Yeh he is but he will get back into shape after a few wks of training. Give him time and let him settle in and have time to get into shape.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He will get himself into shape and i know what you are saying. With the coaching staff and the new attitude that we have, he will have no choice but to get harder on his training and get into shape.

I think people are going overboard with all this talk that he is lazy and overweight. Yeh he is but he will get back into shape after a few wks of training. Give him time and let him settle in and have time to get into shape.
I hope you are right and like I said, if he gets fit and loses weight he will be a great player.

But by the same token people are going overboard saying he should come straight into the starting team for a hardwrker like Warburton who has done everything asked of him.

We all cry about how we miss a Grimaldi like player and how invaluable the Lobster was, and as soon as we unearth a potential player like that in Warburton, we want him dropped for a guy who has alot to prove and has been at the club for two seconds.

That is also going overboard and buying into the Eastwood hype as far as I'm concerned. I can't see why he shouldn't earn his spot like everyone else.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Yeh, agreed on that and people are going overboard. He has been here for 2 days, he needs to learn the way we play and become accustomed to our style and the players around him. Warburton done an excellent job on Saturday and lets hope he continues that form. Eastwood will have to earn his spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.