Daily Telegraph/Rothfield DT St.George want Hoppa NOW

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m not sold on Dufty but I’d swap him for Hoppa and give him the rest of the season to earn a contract offer with us
At least Dufty can score or setup a try
You never know, our superior defensive coaches might teach him how to defend :grinning:

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would have agreed with you if only our options were any better, I also have been told he is a good influence in the dressing room in this tough times I also know he is well respected off field.
I know that doesn't solve our problems !
Clearly he is a great influence.. everyone looks half asleep on the field, disinterested and slower than a wet week.. Hoppa is definitely having a profound affect on the team.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Clearly he is a great influence.. everyone looks half asleep on the field, disinterested and slower than a wet week.. Hoppa is definitely having a profound affect on the team.
Yeah. Its unbelievably puzzling that anyone would be claiming the 'he's a good influence' when you look at how bad our general attitude has been on the field. Absolutely no leaders out there, and clearly none on the training paddock either.

Cart him off asap I say.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When people are asking, how does this deal benefit the dogs? I'll give you a couple of reasons.

• Financially. Funds are freed up to bring in someone of possibly a TPJ kind of player (or anyone else).
  • The roster. 1 extra spot on the roster to bring someone in.
  • Development of our younger players. There is no risk now that TBaz will pick Hoppa ahead of Schoupp.
  • Hoppa himself. There was no chance he was getting signed next year. If he can player better footy at another club and improve his chances of getting a contract, then good luck to the bloke.

He is been nothing but shithouse for us this year and a consistent 5/10 in years prior. My question to the guys saying we should keep Hoppa for the rest of the season is what are the benefits of keeping him with such form?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When people are asking, how does this deal benefit the dogs? I'll give you a couple of reasons.

• Financially. Funds are freed up to bring in someone of possibly a TPJ kind of player (or anyone else).
  • Development of our younger players. There is no risk now that TBaz will pick Hoppa ahead of Schoupp.
  • Hoppa himself. There was no chance he was getting signed next year. If he can player better footy at another club and improve his chances of getting a contract, then good luck to the bloke.

He is been nothing but shithouse for us this year and a consistent 5/10 in years prior. My question to the guys saying we should keep Hoppa for the rest of the season is what are the benefits of keeping him with such form?
Good post

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its round 16, we only have to pay him for another 9 weeks. Surely we dont free up that much money from letting him go early? I'd love to give him the boot though

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Let him go, his not going to improve our team by staying and certainly were not losing anything if he goes. I do remember his form changed since the no play Sunday bit. Take Dufty anytime over him at least its a fresh start for dufty and he can attack. Not worried about his defence.

Last edited:

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Its round 16, we only have to pay him for another 9 weeks. Surely we dont free up that much money from letting him go early? I'd love to give him the boot though
It’s more like 17-21 wks as contracts run from Start or end of November. If he is on let’s say $400k? Then that’s a saving of $130-$160k between now and November based on $400k.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s more like 17-21 wks as contracts run from Start or end of November. If he is on let’s say $400k? Then that’s a saving of $130-$160k between now and November based on $400k.
Fair enough, paid til 1st Nov rather than end of season makes sense. Sure we save $130k but it doesnt influence our cap next year or anything, its just money we wont spend this year (that could be recouped in an hour from gaming revenue from the Leagues Club)

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree under the new pathetic rules it seems his used by date in the nrl is over, but despite the calamity we've been in for the last few years he's proven himself a very reliable player and person for our club as well as very respected among sponsors.
Being part of a squad of mostly ordinary and overpaid players through no fault of no one but the people who signed them doesn't help either and the way thing unfolded throughout this season, the unavailability of players for different reasons and the ordinary form of others made it very difficult to replace him.
How else can we explain the enormous number of players unwanted by the club ?
If we lose respect, what is the point of a club or a game !

Last edited:

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The big picture is that morale is always harder to maintain when you are in a team that is usually losing and we need to make sure we show respect to our players, especially when they have earned the respect of their team mates.

When you see a colleague discarded by your employer in any occupation you always take note of their treatment as you will probably experience the same at some point. If they are respectfully treated it goes a long way to maintaining morale and importantly the organisation remaining an employer of choice.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The big picture is that morale is always harder to maintain when you are in a team that is usually losing and we need to make sure we show respect to our players, especially when they have earned the respect of their team mates.

When you see a colleague discarded by your employer in any occupation you always take note of their treatment as you will probably experience the same at some point. If they are respectfully treated it goes a long way to maintaining morale and importantly the organisation remaining an employer of choice.
I tend to agree.
But in this situation. The sooner players like Hoppa go. The sooner the morale of new recruits will build.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This year is stuffed start playing players where you want them to play next even if they are not up to standard , nothing to lose now.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want him gone too but who do we have to replace him that isnt injured........

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If why get rid of him before the 15 July dogs will save 4 months salary

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least Dufty can score or setup a try
You never know, our superior defensive coaches might teach him how to defend :grinning:
Thank you D-voice, how lucky we are to have SUPERIOR defensive coaches.