DT Podcast - Buzz Says Barrett Sacking Only A Matter Of When

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Barrett has to be on notice because he is running out of excuses in my opinion. Watching last week's trial I lost a lot of faith in him as a coach because we had the opportunity to witness a direct comparison to him & the opposiiton coach. Sadly Fitzgibbon had a cohesive well drilled side whereas we were a mistake ridden undisciplined rabble. I just cant get past that because Barrett has had 3 or 4 years as a head coach in the NRL whereas it was Fitgibbon's 1st game as coach. He simply has to go.
He got outcoached by Kevvie Walters last season as well.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tbaz's record vs rookie coaches is abysmal

pumped by Walters - check

pumped by Payten - check

pumped by Fitzgibbon - check

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we lose to Cowboys rd1 it's Tbaz out for me
You’re not far off mate.
Everyone knows what TBaz knows. This year he has to start to deliver.

The first two games are crucial - because we play the top 4 from last year after that.
Anything less than 3/6 is bad and less than 2/6 is the start of bye-bye Baz.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll be generous and give him 2 games. If we lose to Cows and Broncos, we'll be 0-8 so it's lights out for Baz. These next 2 games are the most important games of his coaching career so he better aim up.
I think you may be correct - id add his whole coaching team if it is 0 n 2 - it would be a challenge to find a replacement - John Morris?

Lets hope it doesnt get to that..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I’d hate to be your husband you just don’t listen
I'd hate for you to be my husband also :grinning:

The one I did decide on :grinning: is not argumentative, doesn't have a desperate need to be correct all the time and has a sense of humour and can tell when people are having a bit of a joke :grinning:

Let's trot against the Cowboys.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toooo hot
Just saw the article that states the 39% win rate. I’m sure I did read 28% somewhere (I believe his stats were on par with Pay’s at the time) anyway, could have been not accurate. Anyway as a bulldog let’s say he’s coached around 25 games his winning percentage is roughly around 13 % so that is pretty piss poor.

I don’t buy the excuses for Manly, there were many games they lost when they had a very strong team. As for the in fighting- well that’s been happening over Manly way for a long time. The back room of Manly was notorious even Des was there. He was still very successful and didn’t blame the furniture for his terrible results. Just to reiterate it wasn’t a bad season, it was a horrible season finishing 15th (very lucky to escape the Sea Eagles first wooden spoon).

@TwinTurbo

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just saw the article that states the 39% win rate. I’m sure I did read 28% somewhere (I believe his stats were on par with Pay’s at the time) anyway, could have been not accurate. Anyway as a bulldog let’s say he’s coached around 25 games his winning percentage is roughly around 13 % so that is pretty piss poor.

I don’t buy the excuses for Manly, there were many games they lost when they had a very strong team. As for the in fighting- well that’s been happening over Manly way for a long time. The back room of Manly was notorious even Des was there. He was still very successful and didn’t blame the furniture for his terrible results. Just to reiterate it wasn’t a bad season, it was a horrible season finishing 15th (very lucky to escape the Sea Eagles first wooden spoon).

@TwinTurbo
Firstly the "too hot" comment wasn't directed to TBaz.
How can we compare the two coaches when the very experienced Hasler had years to build the Manly team to success then left on a sour note, Toovey took over and failed.
Not defending TBaz but when he took over the fallout of their dramas had started to boil over and we all know the results !
At the end it all comes down to team and coach comradery...
Warren Ryan & Team verses Peter More in the mid eighties, still couldn't didn't totally derail our greatest era !

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didnt Buzz ring Khoury and suggested he ring Gould to get him to the club because he had heard Goulds position at tge warriors was not working out due to Covid travel restrictions? If Buzz jated Gould why would Buzz ring Khoury and suggest he get Gould to the dogs?

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firstly the "too hot" comment wasn't directed to TBaz.
How can we compare the two coaches when the very experienced Hasler had years to build the Manly team to success then left on a sour note, Toovey took over and failed.
Not defending TBaz but when he took over the fallout of their dramas had started to boil over and we all know the results !
At the end it all comes down to team and coach comradery...
Warren Ryan & Team verses Peter More in the mid eighties, still couldn't didn't totally derail our greatest era !
Yeah the ‘too hot’ quote was the wrong reply. Was an accident on my phone and couldn’t be bothered to change it. I wasn’t aiming or referencing anyone/anything.

Speaking of Toovey I thought he did a pretty good job, I think he must be one of the hardest done by coaches in the NRL. I guess the experience of Hasler etc that you mentioned highlights my point that a club like us chooses and inexperienced coach with a poor record.
I always want the best for the club but fuck Barrett’s style does not look like it suits us at all at the moment. I don’t want to wait til next season to be competitive,Hooker, more excuses etc

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah the ‘too hot’ quote was the wrong reply. Was an accident on my phone and couldn’t be bothered to change it. I wasn’t aiming or referencing anyone/anything.

Speaking of Toovey I thought he did a pretty good job, I think he must be one of the hardest done by coaches in the NRL. I guess the experience of Hasler etc that you mentioned highlights my point that a club like us chooses and inexperienced coach with a poor record.
I always want the best for the club but fuck Barrett’s style does not look like it suits us at all at the moment. I don’t want to wait til next season to be competitive,Hooker, more excuses etc
All good, I've done the same few times :-)
Before Toovey was appointed coach I was speaking to a former player who was a friend with some 70s and 80s players from Manly, he said he asked some of them about Toovey's potentials as a coach, the reply wasn't good I won't repeat what else was said...
Do you think they failed to support him ?
More importantly should we treat TBaz the same ?