Donor Awareness - Worksheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
Assassin, DropBear, how are you guys progressing? Any updates on possible time-frames for a transplant? Had a relative go through one around 8 months ago. They are doing extremely well now (only a little kid too). Still have the occasional hiccup largely due to weak immunity, but besides the physical scarring of the operation itself, they are having little after-effects. More energetic than any other kid I have ever seen.

All I can say is that I truly hope that the transplants are organised as soon as possible and that the procedure is done with as little ramifications as possible. A successful procedure will be a genuinely life-changing thing for you guys. Best of luck!

Hi guys.
Old Drop Bear is having a few problems of late and has been in and out of hospital more times than the "Gang of Five" have been in court.
I do know he has been in contact with the legendary Dogluva but I have been out of the loop lately myself.
Assassin - your turn. lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm fucking over it tbh I'm at the stage I really don't give a fuck if I get a heart or not.

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Assassin, DropBear, how are you guys progressing? Any updates on possible time-frames for a transplant? Had a relative go through one around 8 months ago. They are doing extremely well now (only a little kid too). Still have the occasional hiccup largely due to weak immunity, but besides the physical scarring of the operation itself, they are having little after-effects. More energetic than any other kid I have ever seen.

All I can say is that I truly hope that the transplants are organised as soon as possible and that the procedure is done with as little ramifications as possible. A successful procedure will be a genuinely life-changing thing for you guys. Best of luck!

G'Day Idris. Thanks for asking, in my case and I think the same as Assassin, it's a waiting game. I've just spent another week in the PAH here in Brisbane and I can only thank God for the dedication of the staff there. The testing is exhausting but the reward well worth the effort. I spent my time doing a little research on support services for others and hope to put them to good use. First things first, haven't slept for a week so about to throw up some ZZZZ's

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Okay what will happen first:
DB gets his new kidneys, and is in post op recovery.
OR
Parra loses their points ??

:D

I'm going to say DB's new kidneys!

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay what will happen first:
DB gets his new kidneys, and is in post op recovery.
OR
Parra loses their points ??

:D

I'm going to say DB's new kidneys!
Does Parra look like losing points?
How the hell did that happen?
Why haven't we heard about this before?
DEEEEEEEEVOED>

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Organ donation after death should be automatic - unless people opt out, doctors’ leaders have demanded.

The British Medical Association yesterday passed a key vote which will now see them lobby the Government to enforce a system of presumed consent for organ donation in England.

In December, Wales became the first UK country to adopt the policy and Scotland and Northern Ireland are expected to follow suit within the next two years.

The outcome of BMA’s vote at their annual conference in Belfast will now pile the pressure on ministers to change the law to ensure England is not left behind.

An estimated three patients die each day in need of a donor organ and there are currently 6,500 on the waiting list including 150 children.

Doctors are routinely having to use organs from smokers, the very elderly, drug addicts and the elderly as they are in such short supply.

Figures show that less than a third of Britons have registered to be donors and campaigners say many more would want to, but haven’t got round to it.

But opponents say the system would set a ‘dangerous perception’ that patients’ organs would be taken unless they had filled out a form.

The BMA will now lobby the Government to adopt a ‘soft’ system of presumed consent – as exists in Wales – whereby patients would be provisionally on the donor register unless they had opted out, online or by a helpline.

If a patient died who hadn’t opted out, nor opted in – as under the existing law – then family members would be consulted on their wishes.

Dr John Chisholm, chair of the BMA’s medical ethics committee, said: ‘As a doctor, it is difficult to see your patients dying and suffering when their lives could be saved or dramatically improved by a transplant.

‘It is even more difficult when we know that lives are being lost unnecessarily because of poor organisation, lack of funding or because people who are willing to donate organs after their death simply never get around to making their views known.

‘Organ transplantation is an area that has seen amazing medical achievements but has not yet reached its full life-saving and life-transforming potential.’

Doctors say the existing opt-in system doesn’t work as relatives are blocking organs from being taken from their loved ones, even if they had registered as donors.

Dr Sarah Mills, a GP in Cupar, Fife, and member of the BMA’s junior doctors committee said: ‘We’re not going for a draconian ‘we own your body’ policy.

‘Nobody is running around with wheelbarrows, there won’t be bodysnatchers.’

‘Nobody wants organs from anybody who didn’t want to donate.’

But Dr Dorry Segev, an associate professor of surgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore the US, has previously warned that an opt out system creates a ‘dangerous perception.’

In a powerful editorial published in the journal Transplantation in 2011, he wrote: ‘With opt out the perception becomes, ‘'We will take your organs unless you take the time to fill out a form'.

‘That’s a dangerous perception to have. We only want to use donated organs from people who intended to donate.’

Figures for Wales show that in the first six months under the new system the numbers donating their organs has increased by a third.

A total of 31 patients provided donor organs since December including 10 who had not stated their wishes.

In the same period for 2014/15 the figure was 21 and it was 23 in 2013/14.

A Department of Health spokesman said: ‘Our efforts remain focussed on encouraging donor registration and discussions within families about donation to increase consent rates, but we are monitoring how these changes in Wales are affecting donation rates.’

A spokesman for NHS Blood and Transplant, the organisation which oversees donation said: ‘We are grateful to everyone who donates their organs as people in need of transplants entirely depend upon organ donors.

‘We welcome activity that encourages people to discuss organ donation and to donate their organs for transplant.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3653486/Let-workers-sign-sick-twice-long-says-doctors-leader.html#ixzz4COmJZjlU

Should be the same out here too!!

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They have to know some religions don't allow it not even autopsies, doesn't matter if the person has put yes or no if their religion is stated and known that's the final say...

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great scheme Mr I.
I think the religious side of it would be covered pretty quickly.
Most religious orders who oppose blood transfusions, autopsies and the like usually make sure their wishes are known well beforehand.

The "opt out" option is available

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
They have to know some religions don't allow it not even autopsies, doesn't matter if the person has put yes or no if their religion is stated and known that's the final say...
So someone who is a religious nut would rather have someone else die than receive "the gift of life".

Seems backwards if you ask me.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So someone who is a religious nut would rather have someone else die than receive "the gift of life".

Religion and rules of religion date back further than organ transplants do, so yeah what's there to argue here?

When alive organ transplants and blood transfusions are fine but my Lord said the body after death shall remain as it is, no doctor, coroner or so called scheme can go against what I believe in or what my Lord has said.

It might seem backwards to you but that's what we believe in and it's been going on for a long time.

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score

That does seem to be the basis of so many "religious" factions Mr I.

Guess it depends on which "GOD" you believe in.
All claim to serve the same God - all claim to read the same Bible (God's word) but still continue to kill and disagree with each other over who's God is right.
Protestants v Catholics v Islam v Mormon v the Bretheren v KKK v heathens v Judaism v Apostolic v Evangelical v 7th Day Adventist v Charismatic v *pick a religious faction of your choice.

Let's not go there.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Religion and rules of religion date back further than organ transplants do, so yeah what's there to argue here?

When alive organ transplants and blood transfusions are fine but my Lord said the body after death shall remain as it is, no doctor, coroner or so called scheme can go against what I believe in or what my Lord has said.

It might seem backwards to you but that's what we believe in and it's been going on for a long time.
Except that even if you pass away organs can now be kept alive by themselves.

If following religion to a T... Jesus died and was resurrected, therefore his body did not remain dead.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Except that even if you pass away organs can now be kept alive by themselves.

If following religion to a T... Jesus died and was resurrected, therefore his body did not remain dead.
The body to us after death can't be cut, opened, parts/members removed and taken or mutilated. It's left as it is to put it simply.

We have a different belief toward Jesus and his time.

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry to break in guys but Drop Bear is currently in ICU with one hell of a battle on his hands.
For those of that belief then your prayers would be greatly appreciated.

He was admitted to Hospital last Monday and has progressively gone down hill with what started out as Pneumonia.
He was transferred up to ICU sometime yesterday after the doctors and nurses have done their best to help him.

Why is he in this condition?
Simple - because a transplant could have saved him and his family all this grief if one had of been available when he was a bit healthier.

Status
Not open for further replies.