Dogs to upset Panthers

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As the title suggests I reckon we have a chance against them at Bankwest if we get even possession. I didn't think we were that bad against the Knights just got tired from all the defence.
I love the positivity however unfortunately think that is too much of an ask for where were are at our stage of development. The core of this Penrith team have been building to this for a couple of years now.

I want to see overall improvement and particularly a better defensive effort and handling.

There is no reason I can see that we should get blown off the park.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1.12 H2H and 1.53 Panthers 13+

I like a couple at the Rosehill races on Saturday but the 13+ Panthers looks a gambling lock to me and is 52 cents better than bank interest.
If me betting against my team was to see them perform a miraculous turnaround i will happily(mostly)sacrifice some cash.If not a likely winning bet eases the pain..a bit.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wont beat penrith cant see it rules now dont allow upsets

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Probably get reffed out of it like last week and the club will do nothing as usual.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m taking the 16 point head start at. $2 [emoji23]

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wont beat penrith cant see it rules now dont allow upsets
Thats just rubbish! If in fact we were the ones receiving all of the 6 agains against the knights, we would have won.
In any other game the same thing could happen. The underdog could be on the receiving end and gain ascendency through sheer possession.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a massive test for us. We're too short of genuine quality to really turn things around in one week against a team with wall to wall quality and speed. I'm just hoping for good ball control and kicking, genuine effort in defence and line-speed, and hopefully at least 50% of possession. Getting within a couple of tries of them will be a reasonable result. A win will get Baz one step from sainthood.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Panthers could of been so much better just then vs the Cowboys and they still won 24-0. Next week could be nasty. They have way too much energy and strike power and our defence is shambolic.
I agree. I think hoping for a win against the Panthers is a bit too much right now. Just to be competitive the entire game will make me not want to kick the TV in. It's early in the season and we can't expect miracles, but I will happily take one. ;)

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I absolutely hate the 6 again rule.
How is the captain of the team supposed to address the problem with his teammates when we don't know what we're getting penalised for?

And why on earth would the NRL want the game to be much quicker? To be more entertaining? The game is entertaining ENOUGH as it is. Players can only get fit as much as humanly possible. There's a limit to how fit a player can get naturally. I wouldn't be surprised if more and more players get busted for using performance enhancing drugs to keep up. But not just to keep up with the game but also using PED's to recover from injuries the quicker game will cause. The game has become too frantic and too much control has been given to the ref. If there has ever been a time in the history of rugby league where refs can so easily influence the result of the game and go unnoticed it is now.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't get to see the Knights game but we seem to have defensive issues around Avo, Hoppa and DWZ. Panthers will target this all day, the only way we upset them this week will be to call them names, that and maybe use all the hot water .

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is the captain of the team supposed to address the problem with his teammates when we don't know what we're getting penalised for?

And why on earth would the NRL want the game to be much quicker? To be more entertaining? The game is entertaining ENOUGH as it is. Players can only get fit as much as humanly possible. There's a limit to how fit a player can get naturally. I wouldn't be surprised if more and more players get busted for using performance enhancing drugs to keep up. But not just to keep up with the game but also using PED's to recover from injuries the quicker game will cause. The game has become too frantic and too much control has been given to the ref. If there has ever been a time in the history of rugby league where refs can so easily influence the result of the game and go unnoticed it is now.
It was designed to get rid of the wrestle and to be fair it's achieved that. The issue is how far must we go. I liked it last year, didn't think we needed to add more 6 agains in the game. Can we all imagine Origin under these rules jeez!

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score

It was done due to the increase in wrestling and ruck nonsense since 2005 and has basically controlled the game the last 10 years.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It was done due to the increase in wrestling and ruck nonsense since 2005 and has basically controlled the game the last 10 years.
Absolutely true that there has been an "increase in wrestling and ruck nonsense since 2005" but the fact is it was allowed to happen when the tools to stamp out slowing up the play the ball were already available, ie; penalties and sin bin. What has actually changed, instead of "penalties and sin bin" we now have "set restarts and sin bin". The reality is set restarts are just another type of penalty. The change has done absolutely nothing to speed up the play the ball, for example the average play the ball speed for Souths was 3.57 secs, with Melbourne being penalised 4 times for ruck infringements. Whilst our play the balls speed was 3.06 secs. Obviously penalising Melbourne (the worst offenders) doesn't speed up the game as much as not penalising the Knoughts (plainly they were angels). The Chooks (the next worst offenders) managed to slow Manly's play the ball speed down to 3.64 secs whilst incurring only 1 set restart (plainly the Chooks are heavenly angels) .

Go Dogs

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we stand any chance of beating the Riff we need Avo to have a good game - 0 runs for 0 metres for a running half is not acceptable.
The forward rotation also needs tweaking as some of these blokes were just not having any effect with getting over the advantage line.