Dogs raise stakes on Manly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
1 mil over 3 years??....really??....surely he cant be worth that much....dont we have a sh1t load of players coming off contract next season???

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would pay him 400 a year if it meant we would get him.

The kid is a freak!

Best young talent in the game right now.

Bulldogs Gangst

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
*** we dont need to throw money at every dam player thats off contract

if we do sign hopa... lafai is as good as gone

why not use our own juniors instead of throwing huge money at other teams players

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This kid is a freak. Already a City/Country rep and a Australian and NSW star of the future. From a suporters point of view, who cares what we pay him, I have faith in Greenburg keeping us under the cap and this is still less than Jamal probably would've gotten to stay with us anyway.

Lafai is still young and although he is a very talented player, he may be a few years off fulfilling his obvious potential. By that time, Morris may have moved on or other things may have cropped up. I'm pretty sure Greenburg has Barba's new deal mind too.

People are getting worked up over things that they have little to no idea about, we can only speculate the state of our cap.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Won't mean much if the kid becomes a missionary..

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
starting to get the impression the club is now wasting money by making big offers for yet to be proven players

C

chipandchase

there is always a risk on non proven players. if he proves to be a "elite" player then the money we are offering him is low.
with the salary cap it is always going to be a merry go round of players moving clubs, unless the commission brings in something to reward loyalty.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
starting to get the impression the club is now wasting money by making big offers for yet to be proven players

We just purchased arguably the best prop in the world a couple of weeks ago. I hardly think we are getting carried away.

P

Paint.

If i was to be completely honest with myself... If i had to draft in either barba or hoppa into my side as fullback, id pick hoppa, even if it cost me 50k extra. However, as a Dogs supporter, i wouldnt give anyone the spot ahead of Barba.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
@330k he'd be a decent pickup.

He will play in the centres. Barba has already sewn up the #1 jersey for many years to come.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He's worth whatever we throw at him IMO.

As Barryward said, our management aren't stupid I'm sure they know how much cash they can afford to throw at him.

From the short time I have seen him play, he is bound to be a superstar. At least he's no defensive ogre like Idris.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
The club's management knows better than any of us here what a player is worth to the club itself.

You can't put dollar figures on players. That dollar figure would vary from club to club, and how the player would feature in their plans.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
me too sarah mee too

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Should probably clarify:

I get a little worried when young guys are hyped this much. Let the kid play footy and calm down (media, commentators).

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manly face a difficult balancing act squeezing David Williams and Brett Stewart under the salary cap By James Hooper
The Sunday Telegraph May 08, 2011

After four weeks of false starts, Brett Stewart is on target to make his long-awaited return for Manly against Canberra in Monday Night Football at Brookvale.

And former World Cup winger David 'Wolfman' Williams made his return from injury in front of a handful of fans in the NSW Cup at North Sydney Oval yesterday.

But the star fullback also represents a dilemma for the Sea Eagles, with the club's backline stocks overflowing with talent.

Stewart, William Hopoate, Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, Kieran Foran, Michael Robertson, Michael Oldfield, Daly Cherry-Evans, David Williams and Tony Williams can't all be accommodated in the same backline.

The rise of off-contract teenager Hopoate has allowed Manly to take a cautious approach with Stewart.

When you factor in that Stewart and Williams take up approximately $700,000 of the Sea Eagles' salary cap, it's a delicate balancing act for coach Des Hasler.

But the fact remains that since the 2008 grand final, Stewart has played just nine first-grade games - five in 2009, one in 2010 and three this season.

Signed on a marquee contract of $450,000 a season until the end of next year, the Eagles are desperate to get Stewart's recovery perfect.

For the past month, he has had to battle hamstring twinges, tears and strains in both legs as his body re-adjusts to the rigours of playing NRL.

There have been rumours of complications and possibly career-ending problems, but coach Des Hasler is adamant there is no substance to the talk.

Hasler has named Stewart as his starting fullback for the past four weeks before pulling him out due to persistent hamstring problems.

Manly are desperate to get Hopoate and Stewart into the same backline with Lyon, Matai, Foran and Cherry-Evans. Sea Eagles recruitment manager and Manly legend Noel Cleal has backed Stewart to quickly re-establish himself as one of the code's premier fullbacks.

"He's missed so much footy but he's shown tremendous resolve, he's never wavered from his recovery," Cleal said.

"He's the ultimate pro in that regard. His enthusiasm and his want has never diminished, it's been as strong as ever.

"You have got to admire him. He has been to hell and back and for him to maintain that drive is truly inspirational."

What about the problem of how best to accommodate everyone into the Sea Eagles' backline?

"It's a nice problem Dessie has - and I'm glad it's Dessie's problem, not mine," Cleal said. "It'll sort itself out in time."

Stewart must undergo a final fitness test when the Sea Eagles have their last training run today.

Hasler said he expected him to take the field against the Raiders tomorrow and continue the long road back.

After almost three years straight on the sidelines, Sydney Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello showed it can be done.

Provided Stewart does make a complete recovery, the Sea Eagles have a balancing act on their hands.

Someone will have to be cut from the backline.
SOURCE: SUNDAY TELEGRAPH

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
I wouldn't call David Williams a "talent". If he shaved his beard off they'd shave at least a hundy off the cap.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
330k probably isn't going to be overs if the rumored raise in the salary cap happens in the next season or two. I honestly haven't seen too much of Hopoate but if he's as good as the hype around him suggests then it might be a great idea to sign him now and have him in the club. Personally i'm one of those people who is quite content to let the club go about their business and just try to enjoy game day. We've done pretty well with our recruits this year and i think the club has some intelligent people behind the wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.