Dogs predicted R1 lineup

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
he's still a young man... he will see game time at some stage.. his situation would have been no better at the Knights; he's just gotta take his chances when they come I guess, and anything could happen with Foz but fingers crossed he can see the season through
Yeh, his situation is much better at the bulldogs. Odds on Foran to get injured before the newcastle halves do...lol

I'm hoping Foran doesn't break down, he's such a quality player at 6. But I really can't see him playing the full season.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If we basing selections on that sole trial then Martin does not make my 17

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why most people have Fualalo in their team, he has had ages to impress. except for carting the ball a few metres he really doesnt offer that much in attack or defense especially for having such a big frame. its almost like hes afraid to run it straight as he thinks he may end up on a highlight reel.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why are people so eager to rush Will Hopoate to the retirement bin? He's easily our best fullback right now and is only 26. He should be fullback. Personally I would pick this team:

01. Will Hopoate
02. Reimis Smith
03. Kerrod Holland
04. Corey Harawira-Naera
05. Christian Crichton
06. Keiran Foran
07. Lachlan Lewis
08. Aiden Tolman
09. Michael Lichaa
10. Dylan Napa
11. Rhyse Martin (k)
12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13. Josh Jackson (c)

14. Nick Meaney
15. Adam Elliott
16. Danny Fualalo
17. Ofahiki Ogden
This will probably be as good as it gets for us.

Nakidog

Waterboy
Reaction score
The team I think Pay will pick to start against the wahine (warriors) in rd 1

1. Hoppa
2. Smith
3. Holland (gk)
4. CHN
5. Crichton
6. Foran
7. Lewis
8. Tolman
9. Lichaa
10. Napa
11. Jackson (c)
12. RFM
13. Elliot

14. JMK (replaces Lichaa)
15. Sue (replaces Elliot in the middle)
16. Fualalo (replaces Napa)
17. C. Smith (Floater depending upon where Pay uses him)

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The team I think Pay will pick to start against the wahine (warriors) in rd 1

1. Hoppa
2. Smith
3. Holland (gk)
4. CHN
5. Crichton
6. Foran
7. Lewis
8. Tolman
9. Lichaa
10. Napa
11. Jackson (c)
12. RFM
13. Elliot

14. JMK (replaces Lichaa)
15. Sue (replaces Elliot in the middle)
16. Fualalo (replaces Napa)
17. C. Smith (Floater depending upon where Pay uses him)
I think that’s pretty close to the team but I doubt CHN is going to play centre it will be Montoya with CHN taking Smiths spot on the bench.

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gosh, if we started a thread - Meaney or Hopoate, who's better?... I reckon we could generate 20 pgs of robust comments - kennel style.

But i am at a loss trying to compare apples with apples. Meaney played half dozen first grade games for Newcastle in 2018 and Hopoate played the whole year for starters. In the trial, Hopa played better as an attacking fullback, then a centre. Meaney looked like a up and comer but Hopa looked more the goods. Having choice is a good thing - yeah! It allows Deano to pick the right person for the right position at the right time.

So it's Hopoate at Fullback for me. Not only because of his ability under the high ball, his runs, his offloads, his attack and passes or meters gained for that matter BUT.....
because i am still suffering from PTSD and reoccurring nightmares from watching the first half of 2018 - Hopoate at centre and Montoya on the wing and every opposition team carving them both over and over again. Try after try after try.

Shhhiiiiiiiiit! Now i got to hit that bottle again.

Glenfiddich on the rocks anyone?

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like Hoppa will be our starting fullback
He played well in Bega
I have mixed feelings about the purchase of meanie,really thought he came as a starter
We have a strong reserve grade team with plenty of fringe players already
Not saying he can’t make it but hate to seem him play park footy for too long

Nakidog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think that’s pretty close to the team but I doubt CHN is going to play centre it will be Montoya with CHN taking Smiths spot on the bench.
I hear you mate I guess its just wishful thinking on my part. If Montoya struggled to read in defence on the wing I have grave concerns if we are picking him to play right centre. I hope I'm proven wrong!

I love the energy and enthusiasm a C.Smith brings off the bench.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hear you mate I guess its just wishful thinking on my part. If Montoya struggled to read in defence on the wing I have grave concerns if we are picking him to play right centre. I hope I'm proven wrong!

I love the energy and enthusiasm a C.Smith brings off the bench.
If Montoya is a disaster then it’s going to be a problem position for the whole year. He didn’t really get tested in defence in the trial so let’s hope it works out.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
If Montoya is a disaster then it’s going to be a problem position for the whole year. He didn’t really get tested in defence in the trial so let’s hope it works out.
He did put pressure on which led to the Smith intercept try. But I think they came up and in too far, following Foz. Better teams will get around us with a little more depth.

Intercept is such a low percentage play the defence is better off sliding (from that far out) showing the sideline and then someone with Smiths pace and acceleration will mow them down.

I think Montoya is playing next to Foran cause thats who Foz feels comfortable with atm.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He did put pressure on which led to the Smith intercept try. But I think they came up and in too far, following Foz. Better teams will get around us with a little more depth.

Intercept is such a low percentage play the defence is better off sliding (from that far out) showing the sideline and then someone with Smiths pace and acceleration will mow them down.

I think Montoya is playing next to Foran cause thats who Foz feels comfortable with atm.
It is way too early to tell how he will hold up in defence but his efforts on the wing don't really make me feel confident.

There is no doubt he will be heavily targeted.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
It is way too early to tell how he will hold up in defence but his efforts on the wing don't really make me feel confident.

There is no doubt he will be heavily targeted.
Agree, hopefully his new role on the other side of the field gives Montoya a spring in his step. He is going to need it.

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It looks like Hoppa will be our starting fullback
He played well in Bega
I have mixed feelings about the purchase of meanie,really thought he came as a starter
We have a strong reserve grade team with plenty of fringe players already
Not saying he can’t make it but hate to seem him play park footy for too long
I wouldn't have mixed feelings as such. Its great to have players fighting for position and creating selection headaches for coaches.

1. Competition kills complacency.
If you have multiple players vying for limited positions, it tends to bring out the best in that player. They tend to train harder, play harder and give that extra 10%. Last thing you want is coach to relegate you to reserves. Some will even slacken off to the last year of contract and then step up due to renegotiation talks. I think Deano would have no issues in dropping anyone who is out of form.

2. Shows that coaching staff and board are forward thinking.
Hopoate is the fullback of today. 27 yr old - safe, consistent and reliable. Meaney is fullback of tomorrow. 21 yr old - young, talented and plenty of potential

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A lot of good fullbacks have had to play in the centres or on the wing over the years. I’d be happy for Meaney to get a run in these positions if an opportunity arises.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Harper maybe?

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't have mixed feelings as such. Its great to have players fighting for position and creating selection headaches for coaches.

1. Competition kills complacency.
If you have multiple players vying for limited positions, it tends to bring out the best in that player. They tend to train harder, play harder and give that extra 10%. Last thing you want is coach to relegate you to reserves. Some will even slacken off to the last year of contract and then step up due to renegotiation talks. I think Deano would have no issues in dropping anyone who is out of form.

2. Shows that coaching staff and board are forward thinking.
Hopoate is the fullback of today. 27 yr old - safe, consistent and reliable. Meaney is fullback of tomorrow. 21 yr old - young, talented and plenty of potential
We lost the Morris boys last year which put a dent in our backline
I really thought that Nick and Christian where going to slot into our starting team
Our 1 to 5 worries me a bit