Dogs fans cheer Willie Mason after Monday night win over Roosters

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
By Christian Nicolussi
August 25, 2009

In a post-match scene not imaginable just 18 months ago, Bulldogs fans gave Willie Mason a standing ovation on Monday night.

The giant forward, who famously walked out on the Bulldogs for the Roosters at the end of 2007, had become public enemy No.1 around Belmore and was jeered every time he got his hands on the ball.

But the Bulldog army applauded Mason as he marched from ANZ Stadium after the Roosters were beaten 28-4. Stunned, Mason smiled and reciprocated.

The NRL's ugliest and most bitter split finally seems over.

And to prove there are no hard feelings, Mason declared he would cheer for the Bulldogs during the finals series.

"Of course I'll be cheering for them, I'll always have a soft spot for the Dogs," Mason said, as he emerged from the Bulldogs dressingrooms and posed for photos with fans of both clubs.

"They know I'm not a bad person. They respect my mum and family so they won't give me much grief. I suppose time heals all wounds. I don't think they would have cheered me off had we won.

"I've never come out and disrespected the Bulldogs fans. I didn't leave on the proper terms, but look at them now.

"They're second, we're not going so good, and I suppose if there weren't a few moves by some of the players (a couple of years ago), they may not be in the position they are now."

Mason has been linked with a move to Japanese rugby next season, but was quick to play down suggestions the warm reception after the game had anything to do with fans seeing the last of him.

He started on the bench but made an instant impact, racking up more than 90 metres off five runs. He drew the loudest noise when he turned fullback Luke Patten inside out, only to throw a wayward pass over his head into no-man's land.

Nate Myles, another former Bulldogs player who was wooed to Bondi Junction, was returning from a six-week stint on the sidelines after a drunken night out at a Terrigal hotel.

Myles seemed the logical target of Bulldogs fans' jokes, but it was Mason who stirred the most emotion.

Myles was much quieter on the field and is sure to strip fitter this week against the Storm, as the Roosters are desperate to dodge the wooden spoon.

Mason won't be desperate to dodge the Dogs fans anymore.

Bulldogs_Mania

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah we stood up for him holding wooden spoons lol get the story right

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
I loved the wooden spoon thing......... you guys are funny. You all looked brilliant on FoxSports 2.

hotdiggitydogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This man would have to be the stupidest person in journalism why the **** would we cheer for a goon Christian Nicoluss your and idiot

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Nawwwwww......

I can see it now ......

The Willie Mason Memoirs : Chapter 12
"Should never have left !"

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ummmm i remember booing him, I dont think anyone cheered him????

He must of been standing next to Hazem when it happened

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL@this article!

Cheering him?? WTF is this journo smoking...

We booed the living faeces out of him last night. I don't know many people who have forgiven him for what he has done.

With that said though, I agree with his comments. We have moved on, and had it not been for people like him, we wouldn't be in such an awesome position today. For that, thank you Willie :grinning:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How is Mason's boxing career going? Does anyone know how his fight went? What's that? The fight never went ahead? Why?

Well OK then........ what's his next travelling circus move? Is it the NFL this week? Oh wait, I know, he wants to be a professional Ice Hockey player now doesn't he? My bad. Someone get Coach Gordon Bombay on the phone. Flying V!

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
what the? everyone was booing the **** out of mason what a load of ****.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Someone should do a story about the article mentioned being toatal and utter BS!! Journos?? Start writing!

DoGs_R_dA_BeSt™

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
you could hear on the box every time Mason touched a dogs player or the ball everyone BOOED him

purpleskittles

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think the journo mistaken the army who was cheering the team off (as they do every game) for cheering mason off.

As if - we would cheer mason.

Btw To the army - At half time i went to see some friends on the opposite side of the stadium, and anyone who claims you cannot be heard is simply deaf! Because I heard you loud and clear!

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the journo mistaken the army who was cheering the team off (as they do every game) for cheering mason off.

Btw To the army - At half time i went to see some friends on the opposite side of the stadium, and anyone who claims you cannot be heard is simply deaf! Because I heard you loud and clear!
I sit on the other side and tonight was the only time ive been able to clearly hear them all year.

But the only thing i could hear was the mason is a ... chant. The rest of them are lost.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

I hope those rorters heard our wooden spoon chant

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ummmm.......what?

We cheered Mason? I thought we were booing him? I guess I'm wrong...

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
they must have heard me, yianni and peter cheering for him and the roosters :p

and asking for haz to be banned :p

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
haha i saw on fox sports 2 when you guys were holding up the spoons - who was the big guy, white beanie and (i think) wearing a retro jersey? u popped up a few times hahaha. i swear i saw a roll of toilet paper flying through the air at the same time, but i may have just been seeing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.