Dogs brace for Roosters backlash

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Dogs brace for Roosters backlash

Bulldogs players are bracing for an Origin-level backlash from dumped Blues pair Mitchell Pearce and James Maloney when the Roosters visit ANZ Stadium on Friday night.

Pearce was overlooked by NSW coach Laurie Daley after an expensive night on the tiles that cost him a club-imposed $20,000 fine and one-game ban.

Maloney, who has mirrored the inconsistent form showed by the defending premiers over the first 10 weeks of the season, stood little chance of keeping his spot without his scrumbase partner and was also left out.

So instead of being in camp at Coffs Harbour, preparing for next Wednesday's Origin opener at Suncorp, Pearce and Maloney will be out to prove their worth against the table-topping Bulldogs this weekend.

"These are the cards we're dealt and we'll have to deal with them," prop James Graham says. "We're preparing for the best Roosters team. Obviously they're missing a few but I'm sure they'll be people wanting to step in for them and be wanting to show their worth.

"Obviously Pearce and Maloney not playing Origin – I'm sure they'll be looking to prove a point to the selectors to make a case for why they weren't there."

Adds second-rower Josh Jackson: "They'll be wanting to hit back. They're both quality players, them two halves. We'll go out there and do our best and see how we go."

Winners of seven straight, the Bulldogs now enter the unfamiliar territory of having their squad decimated by Origin.

Together with Melbourne and North Queensland, the competition leaders have a competition-high four players away on Origin duty, a predicament coach Des Hasler has yet to face in his time at Belmore.

Rookie halfback Moses Mbye has been called in to fill the big boots of match-winning halfback Trent Hodkinson, while savvy veteran Reni Maitua plays his first game for the club as he steps in to the No.6 jumper.

"I'm hopeful that the [Origin] boys that are there now will stay there and maybe one or two others might sneak in the frame as well," Graham says.

"That's the nature of the beast. As a club and organisation I'm pleased for them to be in there and it opens the door for some other people. Moses Mybe played the other week, and I think he'll get a go in some capacity this week. There's a few other lads that are training hard, and knocking on the gaffa's door with the performance at NSW Cup and at training. They'll definitely be ready to step in when they get their chance."

Mbye made his debut in Round 8 against the Knights, the club who fought desperately for his signature before the former under-20s captain re-signed with the club in March.

"He's a very versatile player. We've seen him play in the centres for his debut. I think he plays a bit of fullback and in the halves," says teammate Tim Browne.

"It'll be interesting to see. I think he'll do a really good job. He's got a really good kicking game and his passing is selective, he's calm and sensible."

http://www.nrl.com/dogs-brace-for-roosters-backlash/tabid/10874/newsid/78646/default.aspx

B

BoonReturns

I have no doubts!!!! He will show leadership and take control of the game. The kid is a ultimate professional. Scary at a young age.
I still think he should be playing fullback. If we keep the halves we have for next year and beyond we must find him a starting role.

korrmatta1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still think he should be playing fullback. If we keep the halves we have for next year and beyond we must find him a starting role.
Tbh it's a bit of a headache. You have perret who is playing out of his skin!!! And will be hard for him to find a spot there.

Then you have ennis,lichaa both hookers which I think are infront of him.
Which mbye can play that position.

Then you have Hodko and Reynolds dominating the 6/7 jumpers infront of him. which he can play those positions.

Then you have Morris and lafai in the centres infront of him.

So where do we fit him!? Lollll what a headache for des especially if he kills it!!

You can't always put him 18th man surely!! Lol

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope Reni will has a big game on the Friday night.

He has had some personal issues in the past & hopefully they all remain there (in the past).

Now he appears to be in a good head space which is great for both himself & his career in a game he loves.

He will be essentially playing for his career so I wish him the best of luck.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
im happy to take the $2.95 on us to win

Sherwin_7

Shifty Sherwin
Reaction score
If our forwards can lay the platform like they have been, I am confident we will win.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope Des directs all the traffic through their half's pairing. Note to Klem: When you get the chance take Maloney's boots of and throw them into the crowd.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jennings and Tupou are more dangerous then pearce and maloney, they are also missing Cordner and Aidan Guerra. I think you will see allot of money being put on the dogs to win this one

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters will be hating on life facing us again!! Dogs by 13+

Fruitty Pebbles

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters will be hating on life facing us again!! Dogs by 13+
that's how im seeing it as well... obviously we know that our first choice halves are out so I have this feeling that Des will be bringing back some 2012 plays where our forwards were basically our playmakers and mbye will be the supporting half.

we have four KEY players out but the Roosters left side is basically f@cked Toupu Jennings Cordner and Guerro. They may not halves missing but they do have one side severely under strength. I wont be surprised if they get their pants pulled this game.

The pressure is all on them Maloney and Pearce are expected to have big games to "Prove a point" and we are EXPECTED to lose. But as we have seen time and time again this season Our boys ALWAYS turn up to play.

Go the Dogs of War

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A win by 1 point will suffice for me. Il just make sure i have my oxygen mask close by.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am confident that if our forwards can contain theirs and even get on top of them than the rest will fall into place. Need to bomb rts and miniwanker all night long.

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A win by 1 point will suffice for me. Il just make sure i have my oxygen mask close by.
bro im saving my oxygen mask for SOO, maybe a ventolin inhaler on standby for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.