No Source Does the Ben Hunt rumblings have any Legs ?

jake6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hunt said in the last presser for the dragons that he would be at the Dragons in 2024 and he has had positive chats with Flanno.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunt said in the last presser for the dragons that he would be at the Dragons in 2024 and he has had positive chats with Flanno.
Like a dagger to my heart...

For '24.......cn we just train in the offseason, play the 2 trials and then sit out the season and train more in preparation for '25?

I don't want to go through another season of bottom 4.....

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have feeling he will end up here...
I’m getting this vibe also, it’s also not beyond the realm of possibility that Hunt comes and his adopted daddy Griffin comes in as assistant to support Ciraldo. Between us, the Dragons and Tigers, it’ll be musical chairs

LucasFitzo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hunt is 34 next year. Time to move on.
Yeah but if there's one glaring thing our team lacks is leadership and some veteran leadership at that.
I still am adamant our best signing we can make is Hunt on a two year deal, which would work absolutely wonders for Burton.

Most likely a pipe dream as there is to many hurdles in his situation but best believe Gus would know this and would be pressing any button available to make this happen.

Last edited:

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Dragons let go of Sullivan who you’d think they would want to keep if hunt is leaving. Yeah, Flanagan jnr could end up there but if they don’t results straight away puts a heap of pressure on Flanagan snr straight away.

MOVE.80

M-Power
Reaction score
If we do sign Hunt wouldn't that be regarded as a quick fix considering his age? What happens after his 1 or 2 year deal?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the signing but I don't think it helps us long term.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we do sign Hunt wouldn't that be regarded as a quick fix considering his age? What happens after his 1 or 2 year deal?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the signing but I don't think it helps us long term.
It would dramatically help our short term success which would make our club a more attractive place to play for. It also would give us more time to look for future 7 options. I think he stays at Dragon personally.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Listened to an interview with Toby Rudolf last night, he spoke about Wade Graham and what his retirement meant to the team ..

He spoke about how much they’re going to miss his leadership especially on game day, said having Wade on the field was like having the coach on the field, for 80 minutes he never stops barking orders, how he leads by example, he instructs players, tells them where to be, gives them a massive gob full if they f*** up and how everyone in the team looks up to him so much they absolutely hate letting him down.

This is the type of inspirational player we’re desperately missing, while Hunt might be 34, he’s still exactly what this team needs, forget the age the skills etc.

If they do manage to tempt Hunt to come play for us, I think he should be made captain and be told his main job is on field leadership, I think he’s the type of bloke who can inspire the rest of the team to follow his leadership on field, this what we desperately need …

I’d also like to see part of his contract be to take Burton Sexton and Mahoney under his wing and teach them how to manage a game better how to lift the team and get everyone following them …

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Listened to an interview with Toby Rudolf last night, he spoke about Wade Graham and what his retirement meant to the team ..

He spoke about how much they’re going to miss his leadership especially on game day, said having Wade on the field was like having the coach on the field, for 80 minutes he never stops barking orders, how he leads by example, he instructs players, tells them where to be, gives them a massive gob full if they f*** up and how everyone in the team looks up to him so much they absolutely hate letting him down.

This is the type of inspirational player we’re desperately missing, while Hunt might be 34, he’s still exactly what this team needs, forget the age the skills etc.

If they do manage to tempt Hunt to come play for us, I think he should be made captain and be told his main job is on field leadership, I think he’s the type of bloke who can inspire the rest of the team to follow his leadership on field, this what we desperately need …

I’d also like to see part of his contract be to take Burton Sexton and Mahoney under his wing and teach them how to manage a game better how to lift the team and get everyone following them …
Just saw on Zero Tackle this arvo that Hunt is off to Broncos!! Mentioned anywhere else?

Scoobs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We’d be fighting chance for top 8 with hunt but if we get 1 good middle we’ll truly transform into a top 4 team, and it’ll be a lock as well.
No we won't. Dragoons have a better pack than us and how did they go this year. Absolute fantasy. Until we get some decent big boys we will remain 12th and below

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No we won't. Dragoons have a better pack than us and how did they go this year. Absolute fantasy. Until we get some decent big boys we will remain 12th and below
Despite having a decent roster, they didn’t go so well because the whole St George Illawarra organisation is totally dysfunctional, with constantly waring factions. Flanagan‘s first and major task is get them and keep them right away from the players and the coaching staff.

There‘s a lot more to a successful NRL Team than its players and coaches. Judging how a team should go by the quality of its players and coach is simplistic at best.

Always a Bulldog

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Despite having a decent roster, they didn’t go so well because the whole St George Illawarra organisation is totally dysfunctional, with constantly waring factions. Flanagan‘s first and major task is get them and keep them right away from the players and the coaching staff.

There‘s a lot more to a successful NRL Team than its players and coaches. Judging how a team should go by the quality of its players and coach is simplistic at best.

Always a Bulldog
Dragons are a sleeping giant, always had good juniors but never keep them or get good coaching recently. Robson and Garrick are perfect examples of players they should never have let go.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hopefully he could mentor the sexy man

Scoobs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
You will find that most of the clubs towards the bottom of the ladder are dysfunctional, us included. Ben hunt improves our team, he does not get us near the 8. To think he does is 'simplistic' at best

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You will find that most of the clubs towards the bottom of the ladder are dysfunctional, us included. Ben hunt improves our team, he does not get us near the 8. To think he does is 'simplistic' at best
The difference is, unlike St George and Tigers, ”our organisation“ not totally dysfunctional. Flanagan’s biggest battle is not with the players or the coaching staff, it’s the St George versus Illawarra tribal wars that he has to overcome. Even the legend coach Sheens couldn’t overcome the same at the Tigers, good luck BenjI, he’s gunna need it.

I did notice the Jersey Flagg team smashed the Chooks today and made the Grand Final, early pathways good signs.

Always a Bulldog

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The difference is, unlike St George and Tigers, ”our organisation“ not totally dysfunctional. Flanagan’s biggest battle is not with the players or the coaching staff, it’s the St George versus Illawarra tribal wars that he has to overcome. Even the legend coach Sheens couldn’t overcome the same at the Tigers, good luck BenjI, he’s gunna need it.

I did notice the Jersey Flagg team smashed the Chooks today and made the Grand Final, early pathways good signs.

Always a Bulldog
No no no..that's not how you build a club. You start from the top down..just like a house.