Opinion Do you think Mahoney was captain material today?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He was doing ok until he ran from dummy half with the "markers" split and either side of him. Easiest penalty you will ever see however nothing! He threw his arms up in complete astonishment and then his body language dropped bigtime after that and then the Ref just kept going with his cheating.

My impression, I think he knew we were getting fisted again and perhaps his morale just showed it. We all see it every week, these guy's live it. It must make an impact, no matter how positive you try and be. Easily we have been robbed in 3 games this year so far in any chance of a true competitive contest decided by the players.
Spot on.
Frustrating for all of us to see it let alone play against it. He's just come from Parra and can judge the different treatment first hand from refs.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He is 100% captain material... But he was pretty bad yesterday. A lot of people had issue with Ennis, but I was always happy he put other players on tilt, not other way around. Hopefully Reed learned a valuable lesson.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is 100% captain material... But he was pretty bad yesterday. A lot of people had issue with Ennis, but I was always happy he put other players on tilt, not other way around. Hopefully Reed learned a valuable lesson.
Agree Gamesmanship is a learned craft our good better forward packs of the past
put others on tilt as well.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think a few on here need to take their rose coloured glasses off as well as learn to differentiate between effort and a good game.

I cant knock Reed for not trying, he is absolutely always giving his all. However that doesnt automatically equal a good game.

Right now, IMO, he is a bit too loose, too hot and cold. I dont know whether its lack of confidence in our halves, however he is often over playing his hand and unfortunately most of the times it doesnt pay off.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why did Lewis and Reynolds get away with being shit because they had passion but Reed doesn’t.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Our spine was shocking. It happens. Flanagan wasn't the worst either.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No way… not YET!

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldnt blame him for that game id have the shits too, did you see when we were in thier 10 they were offside every play but no penalty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a few on here need to take their rose coloured glasses off as well as learn to differentiate between effort and a good game.

I cant knock Reed for not trying, he is absolutely always giving his all. However that doesnt automatically equal a good game.

Right now, IMO, he is a bit too loose, too hot and cold. I dont know whether its lack of confidence in our halves, however he is often over playing his hand and unfortunately most of the times it doesnt pay off.
This is on the money … was so pumped to beat Parra he tried to win it on his own and F***ed up more times that not .. at least the presser showed he knows it …

I hope CC sits him down and goes through that game and explains how important it is for him to control that enthusiasm keep a level head and trust the players around him.

I thought TPJ played with a lot more controlled aggression, maybe a dose of that for Reedy ?

He looks super competitive and must be hard wanting to lead as captain when it’s just not happening ..

Ribo Flavin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Even RM can't lift the team currently being fielded. Its difficult to lay blame anywhere at moment. To the perpetual whiners maybe look for another team to follow.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Reed was an abomination yday. He made it all about him. I don’t think we will see that gain. In saying that he is definitely over plying his hand this year. He is definitely being asked to cause we have no creativity from 7 or 1

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score

Be easier when we get some forwards back. You see us go well for 20. Then the bench comes in and we just can’t keep up. It’s hard playing behind a beaten pack.

mandingo

Waterboy
Reaction score
If anything he tried too hard yesterday, he will learn from that and be better for us in the long run.
He will be our best next week I guarantee you.

I'm surprised those Swine's from the Telegraph didn't take the opportunity to publish this following Headline to stick the boot into us -

"MAHONEY LEAVES THE EELS IN GOOD HANDS" - and then rubbish his performance & our decision to sign him.
Good headline the, Hands has played 4 games and showed Reed what is expected of a hooker, normally a player coming up again his old team knows their weaknesses and exposes it but it was the opposite yesterday parra knew his weaknesses and absolutely exposed him

Noosa Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mahoney, like a lot of our team are still learning their roles. I think he has the potential to be a great Captain. Given the other options for this role within our current roster, I am very happy to see him as Captain.

I am not so sure about Burton as Co Captain TBH, but whatever as he doesn’t really seem to play that role anyway lol

mandingo

Waterboy
Reaction score
Reed was an abomination yday. He made it all about him. I don’t think we will see that gain. In saying that he is definitely over plying his hand this year. He is definitely being asked to cause we have no creativity from 7 or 1
Parra had a creative 6,7 and 1 and he still tried to overplay his hand and made it about him when he was there. After watching him closely last year 2 games in Golden point he didn't pass to an unmarked moses for a field goal attempt for some shitty shirt side play. once we have a good team everyone will see this bloke is an imposter and Reed will love having shit halves in Burton and flanno here who have no desire to overall him or want the ball , we will regret this when we have good halves who want the ball

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I definitely don't. A captain leads by example and doesn't let emotions cloud his decisions. He made a couple of clangers today.
A very difficult game for him. If he had more faith in our halves he could of relaxed more. There's also the feral Eels supporters constantly booing him when he went into dummy half and making constant Mahoneys a wanker calls.
Sitting in the Nth end Grandstand I've never been more disgusted in my life. Atrocious behaviour from 6 feral Eels supporters, young blokes sitting behind me constantly booing Mahoney. That would of been new to him. To block out the noise he tried harder, and errors came.
He's new to the Captain game but he makes me proud every week. He will of learnt from that game. It's a team game and his role is to get the ball to the halves and the runners. Eels were up for it. They weren't flat like they were last week. As we know, as the only team with a good record v Penrith for the last 3 years, tho not the GF, the Eels at full strength are a good footy side. We put that fame, with the 3 new injuries, behind us and move on.
Mahoney is who we build our team around. He's also Captain material long term.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I do think he is captain material, in the future though. He needs more patience and calm. The captain guides and lifts the players when things don't go our way, or, as it has been lately, when the Ref's are dead against us. Patience and calm grasshopper.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poor game, he's still reasonably young he will be disappointed with his output. However I can't fault his effort and that is the positive thing.