Do you smack your kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A wiseman also once said, " if at first you dont succeed try, try and try again"
Try hammering a nail in using a rolled up piece of bubble wrap, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again...

The point is not that if something fails you give in, it is that it is daft to keep trying to solve a problem using the same failed solution. I'm not applying this liberally to all smacking either, just those occasions when smacking keeps being the first option even though it clearly is not working in a given situation. Arguably the worst effects of smacking is when it becomes a habitual default response to the same behavior.

My 6 year old coped some bad ones on the bum from 2-4. Now he rarely gets any.
Telling him verbally at that age was impossible cos he started ignoring our threats.
A threat is only as good as the willingness and capability to back it up with action.

It is useful practice to sit down and explain to a child in calm terms what they did wrong and why the are being disciplined for it, even if the kid is only 18-24 months. They won't understand it all, if any of it, but it establishes a pattern for the future which both parent and child become accustomed too. As soon as possible you get the child talking during such disciplinary chats, get them to explain themselves, reflect on reasons their behaviour isn't acceptable, etc.

I have a friend who has a 5 year old and a 3 year old, never ever touched either of them cos he Is also of the opinion of no touching. Both his kids are the biggest bullies and physically hurt every other kid....now where the fck did they learn that.?
When you say no touch, does that mean 100%, no touch either positive or negative? Also, is there evidence that the parents are using consistent discipline of some sort other than physical?

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A smack on the bum never hurt anyone. But the need to smack a child is because of lack of discipline instilled in the child. When I say discipline, I do not mean punishment, theres a difference.
Discipline is achieved by repetitious instruction. After a while it becomes second nature. Its important for mum and dad to be on the same page and for one not to relent or oppose what is being taught. Kids learn respect this way.
Very True, the need to be smacked when stepping out of line also need to know why they got smacked. This is sometimes the only way to instill Respect ( to some extent...fear of authority). Some form of pain is always good for learning lessons.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I remember a year or so ago my son was very naughty for hitting his sister, as kids do. We also organised to go out to the local club for a meal & a kids party. I threatened him to stop or we wouldn't go to the club. He done it again on the sly so we didn't go.

He kept on saying "I dont care", "Im going", "Im hungry we have to go" etc.

My wife & daughter went while I had to carry out the treat & stayed home. The little bloke cried watching through the front screen door, mums car leaving with his sister.
Good job! The hardest thing about discipline using threats is actually carrying them out. I put my foot in it early on and made a threat about not getting Pizza for dinner, then had to carry out the threat cause she pushed it. Damn I was hungry too! Had to cook up some veges and make something out of a packet. These days I'm really careful with the threats, cause you gotta be able to carry it out if you make it, otherwise the threats are basically worse than useless.

It really, really hurt him & did not hit his sister for a while. As he was only 5 at the time he did it again with a few days.They just forget!
Yeah they do, sometimes I've found that the reasons for things happening weren't entirely clear, so I try to talk it through with her and figure out what her understanding is of what is going on, in her own words. Then I can try and fill in any gaps in her understanding.

Taking away toys, laptops, tablets has worked as well.

Ive tried to naughty corner with little success.
The naughty corner/seat is an interesting one. It works great with some kids, but the parent dynamic is also really important. I've always had more success with the naughty seat than my wife has. One of the keys I've found is to stay nearby. I'll typically grab my laptop and sit nearby doing stuff. Once again the parent has to be prepared for anything from a couple minutes to half an hour of time dedicated to this, and sometimes that can be a massive inconvenience. I've had to use the naughty seat maybe twice in the last year though, so they do get the hang of it.

Another thing my son does that really drives me nuts is when he runs or jumps on the couch. What do I do? Take away the couch, smack, naughty corner, remove toys, pull his hair, etc?

This one really does my head in. At the age of 6 they really have bird brains with the memory of a chicken!

Any suggestions out there as this is almost daily or do all think the couch is a trampoline?
That might be a little unkind to chickens!

There are four categories of discipline, most kids respond noticabley better to one or two of them, and less well so to the others (when you look at them you can see smacking can only be used in #2 & #4, which of itself tells you smacking on its own is limited).

1. Positive reward
- "If you do (or don't do, as the case may be) X I will give you a treat/play ball with you, etc"
2. Positive punishment - "If you do/don't do X I will take away half your toys/put you on the naughty step, etc"
3. Negative reward - "If you do/don't do X I will not let you watch the new DVD with your sister/will not take you to the Restaurant with mum and sis, etc"
4. Negative punishment - " If you do/don't do X I won't have to take away your Playstation/will let you have dessert after all, etc"

Figure out 2 or 3 of each type that you think might work, and try them out. It'll become clear pretty quick which flavour of discipline they respond to quickest. Just make sure that any discipline you threaten can be carried out and is carried out if necessary.

Most of the time when disciplinary measures worked out for a specific child don't seem to be working, its not the measures themselves that are failing, its the inconsistency in carrying them out.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good job! The hardest thing about discipline using threats is actually carrying them out. I put my foot in it early on and made a threat about not getting Pizza for dinner, then had to carry out the threat cause she pushed it. Damn I was hungry too! Had to cook up some veges and make something out of a packet. These days I'm really careful with the threats, cause you gotta be able to carry it out if you make it, otherwise the threats are basically worse than useless.

Yeah they do, sometimes I've found that the reasons for things happening weren't entirely clear, so I try to talk it through with her and figure out what her understanding is of what is going on, in her own words. Then I can try and fill in any gaps in her understanding.

The naughty corner/seat is an interesting one. It works great with some kids, but the parent dynamic is also really important. I've always had more success with the naughty seat than my wife has. One of the keys I've found is to stay nearby. I'll typically grab my laptop and sit nearby doing stuff. Once again the parent has to be prepared for anything from a couple minutes to half an hour of time dedicated to this, and sometimes that can be a massive inconvenience. I've had to use the naughty seat maybe twice in the last year though, so they do get the hang of it.

That might be a little unkind to chickens!

There are four categories of discipline, most kids respond noticabley better to one or two of them, and less well so to the others (when you look at them you can see smacking can only be used in #2 & #4, which of itself tells you smacking on its own is limited).

1. Positive reward
- "If you do (or don't do, as the case may be) X I will give you a treat/play ball with you, etc"
2. Positive punishment - "If you do/don't do X I will take away half your toys/put you on the naughty step, etc"
3. Negative reward - "If you do/don't do X I will not let you watch the new DVD with your sister/will not take you to the Restaurant with mum and sis, etc"
4. Negative punishment - " If you do/don't do X I won't have to take away your Playstation/will let you have dessert after all, etc"

Figure out 2 or 3 of each type that you think might work, and try them out. It'll become clear pretty quick which flavour of discipline they respond to quickest. Just make sure that any discipline you threaten can be carried out and is carried out if necessary.

Most of the time when disciplinary measures worked out for a specific child don't seem to be working, its not the measures themselves that are failing, its the inconsistency in carrying them out.
Great feedback & much appreciated.

I will get my mrs to read this as well.

Thanks again!

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
When you say no touch, does that mean 100%, no touch either positive or negative? Also, is there evidence that the parents are using consistent discipline of some sort other than physical?
Reasoning with the two kids I am talking about is absolutely useless. My friend stands on the childs head and tell him not to do it he will simply ignore his words and keep doing what he is doing. This is the reason both kids are getting spoilt , misbehaving and bullying other kids cos their parents tried to discipline with words only. Kids are smart mate, they will push the boundaries as much as they can. Some kids will listen and stop but some will show the middle finger and keep going on their marry way. My son is 6 now and was the same 3 years ago but he is one of the nicest kids around cos we used both our mouths and our hands to discipline him.... I have a 2 year old and he copies his older brother so we dont have to worry about either of them now.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Reasoning with the two kids I am talking about is absolutely useless. My friend stands on the childs head and tell him not to do it he will simply ignore his words and keep doing what he is doing. This is the reason both kids are getting spoilt , misbehaving and bullying other kids cos their parents tried to discipline with words only. Kids are smart mate, they will push the boundaries as much as they can. Some kids will listen and stop but some will show the middle finger and keep going on their marry way. My son is 6 now and was the same 3 years ago but he is one of the nicest kids around cos we used both our mouths and our hands to discipline him.... I have a 2 year old and he copies his older brother so we dont have to worry about either of them now.
You can't do it with words only. It takes actions backed up with words, and words backed up with actions. What people get confused over is they mistake physical punishment as being the only action possible. When they read horror stories of some of the negative stuff that has happened to kids who got smacked, they cease both physical punishment and action. Action can be all kinds of things that doesn't involve physical punishment. I'm considered by my friends to be a fairly strict parent, yet I've never laid a finger on my daughter.

Having said all that, is your friend seriously standing on his child's head???

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I have smacked my daughter only once in her life she is 8 now, she is a good kid, I have smacked my son 3 times in his life he is 4 and really deserves more,

I am kinda against it to be honest,
My dad flogged the absolute shit out of myself and also my brother and sister when we were kids and we all suffer varying levels of depression as adults,

The odd smak to keep law and order in the house and ensure the kids know who is boss is ok,
Kids need to know you love them,
But regular smacks or using smacks as a regular punishment is not good in my opinion based on my own experience

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hardly ever smack but I do pull their hair to get their attention (side burn area)

Sometimes its a quick light tug of the hair & sometimes not.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I hardly ever smack but I do pull their hair to get their attention (side burn area)

Sometimes its a quick light tug of the hair & sometimes not.
Haha that's different haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.