Do we need time to get back to who we were?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Times have changed.. we need to evolve our game and keep up with those times, it can be done!! And needs to be done!! Which of corse will take time.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Looking at the roster, our back 5 are reserve graders no experience except hoppa. How are we gonna match the agility of first grade sides. Who’s tough in the back 5, who’s gonna defend and support the line. None. Compare the back 5 from parra to ours. We will continue to loose every game this year. No hope. Round 1 tells you how your pre season was. I’m predicting a wooden spoon year. Foran on 900k doing what????
Time will tell mate. Judging on that game it doesn't look rosy, but I'd give it a little more before calling the wooden spoon just yet. The boys should be hurting pretty bad after that loss so we'll hopefully see their true character come the parramatta game.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The club will die if that happens again.
Well, it's been 15 years and counting since our last premiership. Can you honestly see any premiership in the next 5 years?
This is the second longest drought
We still have 23 years to match that drought from 1942-1980. But the years are ticking over quickly.
Scary when you think about it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well, it's been 15 years and counting since our last premiership. Can you honestly see any premiership in the next 5 years?
This is the second longest drought
We still have 23 years to match that drought from 1942-1980. But the years are ticking over quickly.
Scary when you think about it.
Premierships are wonderful but I'd be more than happy for us to be a regular Top 4 contender with a few superstar players that youngsters can idolise and emulate and have a winning culture playing entertaining football....that's whats missing atm and not many can see it returning for quite some time.

We live in hope that the Board can make that happen in the not too distant futute.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Premierships are wonderful but I'd be more than happy for us to be a regular Top 4 contender with a few superstar players that youngsters can idolise and emulate and have a winning culture playing entertaining football....that's whats missing atm and not many can see it returning for quite some time.

We live in hope that the Board can make that happen in the not too distant futute.
Wait ... you don't think winning premierships is that big a deal? I mean ... really? Fuck top 4 contender. I want premiershipS

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Of course premierships are the ultimate...but I'm taking regular Top 4 Team status every year.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Of course premierships are the ultimate...but I'm taking regular Top 4 Team status every year.
Screw regular top 4 every year if we're not winning it. Wasn't Hasler doing alright when he first came here? That ended well.

Fuck that. I want to be winning every year. Happy to get wooden spoon this year if it means we win the whole lot next .... bring that shit on I say

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are the only team to have won at least one premiership in each of the last 3 decades! This decade ain't going to happen!

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We are the only team to have won at least one premiership in each of the last 3 decades! This decade ain't going to happen!
Manly have been winning a premiership in each decade for the last 5 decades.

4 premierships in the 1970's (1972,1973,1976,1978)
1 premiership in the 1980's (1987)
1 premiership in the 1990's (1996)
1 premiership between 2000-2009 (2008)
1 premiership between 2010 - 2019 (2011)

Bar far they are the most successful Sydney club in the last 50 Years

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
But but but Auntie Rae Rae said we will win 2 by 2019.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Screw regular top 4 every year if we're not winning it. Wasn't Hasler doing alright when he first came here? That ended well.

Fuck that. I want to be winning every year. Happy to get wooden spoon this year if it means we win the whole lot next .... bring that shit on I say
You're missing the point. By regular Top 4 it means being a powerhouse club who is always in contention and always feared to play and respected. I want us to have Top 4 players to cheer on well.

Teams can't win premiership every year these days....and stuff winning wooden spoon this year btw (under any circumstances)

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The problem is this plain and simple. Cleal , whitney and McDonnell try to buy every islander boy they can. They sign them on stupid contracts, (normally 500-1000), there manager gives them a free pair of boots, pumps them full of shit about how good they are, mainly because playing in the park on a sat they are bigger, faster, stronger and a lot of the times older (common knowledge in juniors club football, my grandsons team had a islander boy play for them for 3 years before his father decided to tell everyone he was 2 years older than everyone).Buy the time they get to sg ball, other kids start catching up, and the speed and continual effort after effort plays that are required as you go up in level finds them out. I laugh when I hear people talk about certain stars at 17/18 who are charging through sides, but suddenly hit a brick wall at 19-20, because the speed goes up and they either don't have the cardio base to have repeated efforts, or physically others have caught up. and they cant make breaks like they did for 5 or 6 years in juniors so they give it away. The secret is to know what your watching when your watching kids football. You see blokes like McDonnell, whitney, jones, etc... all stand together at junior carnivals, one says something about a kid, the others like seagulls just stand there agree nod there head, ill let you in on a little secret, a lot of these kids are signed off on, by managers sending dvd's to club recruiters talking up bullshit about player stats and so on. Ill give you an example I watched the entire tape of bulldogs vs tigers under 20's, now in all honesty the front rowers went missing, they got hit hard, but more importantly they displayed lazy traits that is ingrained in them from a young age, and you would or should know this from a recruiters point of view if you really know what your watching, these include but are not limited to (getting back on side but continually not holding your space, looking for a rest in the line behind the second marker), deciding not to go high and lock in because if I go low I don't have to push myself to get up and get to marker ill stay on the ground and jog back on the blind, hopefully they will run another two plays that don't involve me and ill rest. About 18 months ago a friend of mine told me we bought a rising star from Parramatta, a gun he said, one of McDonnell best signings junior rep star, Matt Doorey is his name. I watched him once in 20's last year he touched the ball once in the first half and twice in the second as was passenger in defence, in the trial I just watched against wests he was abysmal again. We gave this kid a development contract, now I could tell after watching him once closely what his flaws are, and he has a few, some technique, some no understanding of whats coming at him in terms of shape on the edge... etc.......,and more importantly he doesn't have much speed for an edge backrower and he doesn't bust many tackles, makes you wonder...........
Interesting observations. Have you ever coached? You have a good insight into the game.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The junior system is rotten to the core
Just last week we had the Harold Matt’s coach posting political bs explaining the recent attacks in Christchurch

Dogs are in damage control behind the junior scenes

Furthermore certain coaches and managers aligning themself with potential “stars” and setting a take it or leave it combo with other less talented kids.

Things won’t change until the juniors is cleared of this corruption and politics and or recruitment improves ten fold overnight.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just last week we had the Harold Matt’s coach posting political bs explaining the recent attacks in Christchurch

Furthermore certain coaches and managers aligning themself with potential “stars” and setting a take it or leave it combo with other less talented kids.

Things won’t change until the juniors is cleared of this corruption and politics and or recruitment improves ten fold overnight.
How does this gell with the Chairman telling us that a hole new re-set of our neglected juniors has been put in place with the appointment of Khory and that other guy (name escapes me).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

What do you mean by the first part? Was he condoning the attacks in some way?

silva

Utility
Reaction score
The climate in which the club operates has changed, that is all.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What do you mean by the first part? Was he condoning the attacks in some way?
More so the coverage and media outcry was abit of the top and not justified, figure that one out.
Yet he removed his post within hours of posting it.
He’s a disgrace and should be sacked immediately.
Too bad he has a prominent surname and won’t happen!