Reaction score
Ho Hum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He had better backs and halves than we do.

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we are heading in the right direction
I got told by a very close friend of Haslers that if we didn't succeed in 2012 he would clean the place out
Problem is we did but it was a false dawn
I know if I was head coach I would have had a massive headache on what to do after that, we lost to a top team in the storm so we shouldn't clean out the place
We are a competitive team but not a top team like the roosters and cowboys are
Trouble is roosters won't be anywhere near the same team next year and the Cowboys roster is bloody good

And for people talking shit about Hasler and our game plan and recruitment

Hasler has blooded a shit load of juniors
Lane
Phillips
Jackson
Klemmer
Finucane
Went out and got Lichaa who has been fantastic and although Ennis is still playing well he only has 1 more year left in him IMO lichaa is just starting
Mbye
Gavet
Burr

He gave a lot of these kids a chance to play FG problem is most of the time we had better prospects around the club

Yes we lost to the roosters but their roster is a joke
Jwh
Pearce
Maloney
Jennings
Topou
Fergo to a lesser degree cause he probably came cheap
SKD
Guerra
Cordoner

All top players demanding big money

They are getting torn apart now by the cap and losing their two best attacking players in RTS and Maloney

Our problem with this club is we produce some of the best forwards in the Comp year in year out but can't produce a back to save our lives

It's a real problem

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Better coaches have been let go with better records than hasler

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
I'm on the fence. I have no doubt that he knows what he's doing but I tend to think he may be too rigid with his approach and to stubborn/egotistical to admit something or someone isn't working out.

I sit and hope

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
For the record I'm not anti des and have been a staunch supporter in the past but after what I saw this year and last year with regards to our retarded attack I am starting to ask serious questions

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If only the simple act of hiring a coach guaranteed a premiership.

We've been very competitive during Hasler's tenure. You can never "expect" a Premiership.
Stop being reasonable. This is The Kennel.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
For the record I'm not anti des and have been a staunch supporter in the past but after what I saw this year and last year with regards to our retarded attack I am starting to ask serious questions
Same

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Positives: We have a good strong forward pack that will be tested with the new interchange rules.
We have a pair of talented halves who were thrown together in the toughest games of the season. They should be better for the experience and a solid pre-season.
We have pretty good depth to cover injuries and suspensions.
Negatives: There needs to be some innovative thinking about our game plan. It should be more flexible rather than being programmed to grind all the time. We have become too predictable and easy for other teams to counter our attack.
We need to either sign or develop a top quality goal kicker. This could become a serious weakness if it's not addressed.
Promising players in NSW cup need opportunity to develop and improve. If they don't see this exists they have less incentive to push their development along (example = Tyrone Phillips, could have killed it in NRL given the chance.
Things we can't influence: To some extent, injuries just happen. Whilst the recovery can be addressed, you can't help bad luck.
Officials. We copped so many absolute howlers of decisions through the season that we did well to finish where we did. Imagine if the Roosters had copped as many poor calls!
Things we can influence: Coaching. Des and his staff need to introduce more attacking structure, set plays and more discipline regarding ball control, etc. Defensive structures need help too, especially on the infamous right side. Des needs to not be afraid of dropping players to NSW Cup in order to give them a wake up call (Lafai and Perrett?)

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes, there are positives like we played finals footy. So that makes us better than teams like the Raiders, Tigers and Eels. That's nothing to be happy about.

I don't understand how there could be a feeling that the club is headed in the right direction. We have a winger playing fullback, no genuine halfback for 2016 and the depth in the backs isn't that great. That's the coaches responsibility. No player gets dropped regardless of form.

The best players the club can attract are the Mata'utai's and Fifita (and then some of them even reject the club).

And last offseason the club promises two premierships by 2020, all grades to be in the top 4 or 8, local juniors and all the rest. I bet they're sorry for releasing that to the papers now.

ArnieD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
2016 will be Haslers 5th season with the club and will also be the same amount of time that he needed to rebuild Manly and make them premiers. In his first 5 years at Manly the team steadily improved. They finished 13th, 8th, 5th, Runners up and Premiers.

Hasler has now had more than enough time to recruit and develop a squad he deems capable of winning a GF and to implement a gameplan that will enable them to do so. Every football decision is now all on Des. We all say, or at least used to say, in Des we trust. Well it's time to see some results. If Des thinks getting rid of Pritchard and keeping Dorothy is part of a master plan it's time to justify it, if re-signing an injury prone nsw cup player is important, we need to be shown why and if he chooses to select a winger who's well and truly past his prime and is a defensive and attacking liability it's time to show how that is a coaching master stroke.

In 2012 Des came to the club and implemented a forward orientated gameplan out of neccesity because our halves were not exactly world beaters. He took the playmaking responsibility out of their hands and used the forwards to lay the foundation for second phase play to Barba, Morris, Inu etc. at the time it was a fresh and innovative gameplan. In the four years since it's become stale and stagnant yet Des persists. It has now got to the point where we can go an entire set in the opposition 30 and our playmakers do not touch the ball. We are attacking against a set defensive line because we do not offer any sort of attack where we get the defence to back peddle. Our play the ball is slower than a cold Monday and our players often seem like they don't know where they are meant to be. The simplest of skills -passing, kicking etc- seem to be non existent at times.

2016 stands to be a defining moment for Des and the Bulldogs. This is now the squad he has selected to bring us success. The players are there because Des believes they are the best to play the game he wants them to. He must now be accountable for all the players we have and all the players we have overlooked, let go or been unable to attract to the club. With talk now starting that we want to extend him long term to, as Castle puts its, "ensure long term success" we should rightly question what success she is talking about. We haven't won a comp and we are too inconsistent to be considered to be on the improve.

It's time for Des to justify the hype.
Winning a premiership ain't that simple.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2016 is Haslers 5th year. No premiership = worse than Manly

Forget a premiership for a moment who doesn't want that but as stated before it's not something you can guarantee what pisses me off is the way we play

I hate watching our team play we are the most boring and frustrating team to watch whether we are winning or whether we are losing we look like a rabble.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Forget a premiership for a moment who doesn't want that but as stated before it's not something you can guarantee what pisses me off is the way we play

I hate watching our team play we are the most boring and frustrating team to watch whether we are winning or whether we are losing we look like a rabble.
That's my biggest gripe also. The way we play.....and that most certainly is Des's job.

Status
Not open for further replies.