Des Hasler declined new jobs to stay at Bulldogs, court hears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
No mate let's stick to the facts here. Yes the contract with Des was signed in 2017 but it relates to a 2 year extension being 2018 and 2019. The footy dept cap i understand is starting in 2018. Currently we have to reduce our footy dept soending by abouy $ 2.5million to get under the cap set by NRL. So therefore any payment will mean we have to reduce spending by$ 2.5million plus whatever settlement payment may be reached with Desmond.Now if as you say the coach is not counted until 2019 then this will be a problem in 2019.
It is a damages claim-yes but arising out of non payment of salary to coach- which Desmond would be claiming.
Happy to stick to the facts. There is no footy dept cap in 2018. Fact. The NRL is in negotiations to try and introduce something in 2019 but the clubs have said no. The proposed NRL strategy will only be voluntary anyway until the next contract in 2022. the only way it can come in beforehand is if the clubs agree to it. The same as anything. It will relate to salaries and admin costs for the footy dept not the result of litigation that preceded its implementation. In any event just because an action is launched doesn't mean it will succeed. The strike rate is well below 50% and that would include settlements, the terms of which are confidential and the NRL will not have access to nor are entitled to.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Happy to stick to the facts. There is no footy dept cap in 2018. Fact. The NRL is in negotiations to try and introduce something in 2019 but the clubs have said no. The proposed NRL strategy will only be voluntary anyway until the next contract in 2022. the only way it can come in beforehand is if the clubs agree to it. The same as anything. It will relate to salaries and admin costs for the footy dept not the result of litigation that preceded its implementation. In any event just because an action is launched doesn't mean it will succeed. The strike rate is well below 50% and that would include settlements, the terms of which are confidential and the NRL will not have access to nor are entitled to.
Dstyle just got schooled.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry invisible - you are not correct. The chairman in many media outlets said it was a done deal. Example Adrian Prozenko SMH article 26th June. Anyway Raelene can only act at direction of board.
The problem still remains--any payment will have an affect on footy dept's cap.
The fact that Dib "repeatedly" gloated to the entire nation that we had locked away Hasler for yet another two years will be enough for Des to win this. I still think it will be settled out of court.
This is the only one that matters as it is a direct quote from the club on the clubs site.

http://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2017/04/03/hasler_extends_contr.html

Happy to stick to the facts. There is no footy dept cap in 2018. Fact.
Todd Greenberg FEB 2017

“It will be in next season and it’s had strong support from all 16 clubs,” Greenberg said.

“There is a working group with four club chief executives in order to bring a football department cap in for 2018. We haven’t landed on an exact cap figure, that’s the working group’s task at the moment.”

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Don't let a good story get in the way of the facts invisible.

GTOWN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
SACKED Bulldogs coach Des Hasler wants the club to payout his multimillion-dollar two-year contract and damages saying he rejected other coaching jobs because he thought he would be at Canterbury until 2019, the NSW Supreme Court has heard.

So why was he receiving offers if he thought he had a contract with the dogs?
Why would anyone offer him a job if he had just signed with us?

All bullshit i thinks.....

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
This is the only one that matters as it is a direct quote from the club on the clubs site.

http://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2017/04/03/hasler_extends_contr.html

Todd Greenberg FEB 2017
So they had a working party. It was one of about 10 they had running at the time and couldn't agree on anything. It may have even been the same working party that said the salary cap was going to be $10m and how did that one work out for us. the fact is that there is no cap for coaches next year. It would be impossible to implement given the fact that coaches are on contracts of various lengths and quantums. All of that though is only a diversion from the real fact that Hasler is suing for damages not to restore the contract and therefore it couldn't apply to the cap.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Again,
The legality of the contract/HOA won’t be the issue. Our actions prevented him from looking elsewhere and other clubs from approaching him.
On the advise of his management, who obviously screwed up

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
SACKED Bulldogs coach Des Hasler wants the club to payout his multimillion-dollar two-year contract and damages saying he rejected other coaching jobs because he thought he would be at Canterbury until 2019, the NSW Supreme Court has heard.

So why was he receiving offers if he thought he had a contract with the dogs?
Why would anyone offer him a job if he had just signed with us?

All bullshit i thinks.....
People often receive offers whilst under contract. The issue Desmond seens to have is that he was under the belief he had a contract with the dogs so when approached for a job-he rejected offers that he otherwise could have explored. Very messy. That's the point. Putting aside the cap and or who is right or wrong; what we can all agree is that we have a very messy situation

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
People often receive offers whilst under contract. The issue Desmond seens to have is that he was under the belief he had a contract with the dogs so when approached for a job-he rejected offers that he otherwise could have explored. Very messy. That's the point. Despite all talk of the cap and who is right or wrong; what we can all agree is this is a big mess

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
[/QUOTE
Putting aside the separate organisation of the leagues club, our club with a yearly revenue of about $20 m has two legal threats of nearly $6m. Very scary. Some clubs don't have a leagues club and this exposure would threaten their existence -yes very scary

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So they had a working party. It was one of about 10 they had running at the time and couldn't agree on anything. It may have even been the same working party that said the salary cap was going to be $10m and how did that one work out for us. the fact is that there is no cap for coaches next year. It would be impossible to implement given the fact that coaches are on contracts of various lengths and quantums. All of that though is only a diversion from the real fact that Hasler is suing for damages not to restore the contract and therefore it couldn't apply to the cap.
Let's be honest... the NRL seems to be like working as a politician. Paid for doing nothing, and impossible to get sacked from.

Greenberg and Grant really have made a complete and utter ballsup of the game.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But dude it's not recurring..it'll happen for one year and then it'll be back to 20m.

Other clubs, I agree would be fucked.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People often receive offers whilst under contract. The issue Desmond seens to have is that he was under the belief he had a contract with the dogs so when approached for a job-he rejected offers that he otherwise could have explored. Very messy. That's the point. Putting aside the cap and or who is right or wrong; what we can all agree is that we have a very messy situation
Will be hard if not impossible for Des to prove this. Offers initially would have been at the very best "come and meet us to see how we can work together" with nothing issued in writing. It was known the Dragons were interested (they even extended McGregor by just 2 years) but having retained McGregor and with no guarantee of getting Des, they're not going to come out now and say they made Des an offer.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
What exactly was the new job offer?

Docta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hi guys first time poster but have enjoyed perusing the forum since 2007 and for the record thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

I'm a litigation lawyer so thought I post would some thoughts on the saga:

1) Des' claim all comes down to certainty of the MOU i.e. was there anything left to be negotiated and/or was the contract conditional on future events and negotiations. Most MOU/HOA are generally between the parties themselves and conditional on the parties entering into a further contract prepared and negotiated throughly by their respective lawyers. Having said that an MOU can be certain on its terms and therefore performed by the parties. It really depends how the judge construes it and whether the dogs can argue it's not certain enough to be performed as it is.

2) the media announcement about des' appointment is extrinsic to the contract and therefore comes under a principle called the parole evidence rule. However, the media announcement itself will not add any more certainty then the terms of the MOU/HOA. However, this issue is more relevant to the question of damages and loss of opportunity.

3) if liability is proved i.e. there was an enforceable legally binding contract the court will move onto the question of damages. Damages will be the amount under the contract had it been performed i.e. 1 million per season. However the question of mitigation comes in i.e. onus on Des to take steps to reduce his loss i.e. What steps he took to secure an income elsewhere. The likely scenario in the next year or so is that Des will secure a contract elsewhere otherwise it won't be a good look at the hearing to say he sat on his ass and did nothing plus I doubt Des won't want to be out of the game for too long otherwise like any career, this will adversely impact his ability to secure future employment.

4) the court will then take into account any income he has or will be receiving over the next 2 years and deduct that from what he will have received under his new contract with the dogs. This for me is Des' BIGGEST issue in trying to recover the whole amount which he is almost certainly to be unsuccessful.

5) by the way the contract claim above is his legal claim under the common law. Des also has a separate and additional claim of estoppel (a claim in equity law) where he Des will argue he relied on a promise by the dogs that he would be employed for the next 2 years and therefore declined other job opportunities and/or potential employers did not approach him. His claim for damages under this category is separate to his claim for the value of the contract of $2 million and would instead would be for lost opportunity i.e. the amount he would have signed with someone else for had he made himself available. Des needs to prove there was a real prospect of this happening and show evidence of inquiries or offers made to him.

What do I think will happen? Like most of you have already predicted, if I was his lawyer I would be telling Des to settle sooner rather than later if he wants move onto somewhere else. No doubt a settlement also suits the dogs!

Up the dogs and looking forward to 2018!!

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys first time poster but have enjoyed perusing the forum since 2007 and for the record thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

I'm a litigation lawyer so thought I post would some thoughts on the saga:

1) Des' claim all comes down to certainty of the MOU i.e. was there anything left to be negotiated and/or was the contract conditional on future events and negotiations. Most MOU/HOA are generally between the parties themselves and conditional on the parties entering into a further contract prepared and negotiated throughly by their respective lawyers. Having said that an MOU can be certain on its terms and therefore performed by the parties. It really depends how the judge construes it and whether the dogs can argue it's not certain enough to be performed as it is.

2) the media announcement about des' appointment is extrinsic to the contract and therefore comes under a principle called the parole evidence rule. However, the media announcement itself will not add any more certainty then the terms of the MOU/HOA. However, this issue is more relevant to the question of damages and loss of opportunity.

3) if liability is proved i.e. there was an enforceable legally binding contract the court will move onto the question of damages. Damages will be the amount under the contract had it been performed i.e. 1 million per season. However the question of mitigation comes in i.e. onus on Des to take steps to reduce his loss i.e. What steps he took to secure an income elsewhere. The likely scenario in the next year or so is that Des will secure a contract elsewhere otherwise it won't be a good look at the hearing to say he sat on his ass and did nothing plus I doubt Des won't want to be out of the game for too long otherwise like any career, this will adversely impact his ability to secure future employment.

4) the court will then take into account any income he has or will be receiving over the next 2 years and deduct that from what he will have received under his new contract with the dogs. This for me is Des' BIGGEST issue in trying to recover the whole amount which he is almost certainly to be unsuccessful.

5) by the way the contract claim above is his legal claim under the common law. Des also has a separate and additional claim of estoppel (a claim in equity law) where he Des will argue he relied on a promise by the dogs that he would be employed for the next 2 years and therefore declined other job opportunities and/or potential employers did not approach him. His claim for damages under this category is separate to his claim for the value of the contract of $2 million and would instead would be for lost opportunity i.e. the amount he would have signed with someone else for had he made himself available. Des needs to prove there was a real prospect of this happening and show evidence of inquiries or offers made to him.

What do I think will happen? Like most of you have already predicted, if I was his lawyer I would be telling Des to settle sooner rather than later if he wants move onto somewhere else. No doubt a settlement also suits the dogs!

Up the dogs and looking forward to 2018!!

Welcome to the Kennel, @Docta, with possibly the best first post, ever!

~c.

Status
Not open for further replies.