Des Hasler declined new jobs to stay at Bulldogs, court hears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Des is successful and manages to sue the club for $2.4 million then I'm suing Des for $2.6 million for wasting my time for the past 6 years.

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The concern i have is that if there is a settlement/payment to Des, the amount paid will be counted against the football department cap, which starts in 2018.
I wonder what Club's view is on this?

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Again,
The legality of the contract/HOA won’t be the issue. Our actions prevented him from looking elsewhere and other clubs from approaching him.
Not our actions. If his reps were wrong in what the agreement actually meant, then the problem is teirs not ours.

If his manager told him he had something binding when he legally didn't, that is on them not us.

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not our actions. If his reps were wrong in what the agreement actually meant, then the problem is teirs not ours.

If his manager told him he had something binding when he legally didn't, that is on them not us.
The whole world was told we had extended Des' contract. Club cannot have this go to court. Des despite all the comments on here is no dummy. He will get something and this will hit our football department cap going forward. Does that mean potential staff cuts? I think the Club can pay a hefty fine to NRL if it is over the cap. So we may have to pay Desmond some money to go away and some big fine to NRL for being over the cap. Recently i saw an article where we pay over $2m already over and above the 2018 cap; so this could be a massive problem for us. Again i think as supporters i would like our club to provide some guidance as to the club's position. To me this is a worry

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The whole world was told we had extended Des' contract. Club cannot have this go to court. Des despite all the comments on here is no dummy. He will get something and this will hit our football department cap going forward. Does that mean potential staff cuts? I think the Club can pay a hefty fine to NRL if it is over the cap. So we may have to pay Desmond some money to go away and some big fine to NRL for being over the cap. Recently i saw an article where we pay over $2m already over and above the 2018 cap; so this could be a massive problem for us. Again i think as supporters i would like our club to provide some guidance as to the club's position. To me this is a worry
As I mentioned in another post... It doesn't matter what the club says. Club could say Des was given a gold medal in ice skating... doesn't mean he has one.

Whatever the club has said is not relevant.

In addition to this the club only ever stated a contract extension.

A contract extension is null and void if the originating contract (which was extended) is terminated.

I guarantee this is what the club have done. If they terminate his contract before the extension kicks in, then there is no contract to extend.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys need to watch more Suits seriously.

If our lawyers are angling for a settlement as per my instinct then if hasler presses he will win the full amount plus more.
Negotiate from a position of strength and if our tactic is a relatively generous settlement then the opposing lawyer instinct will sniff weakness.

A verbal contract is completely legally binding.
If you can reasonably prove it.
Our genius chairman Ray Zib shouted it from the rooftops that we had signed him for three more years so he has handed the lawyers plenty of evidence on a platter.

Hasler was not legally allowed to be poached beyond that point.

Our former coach going to make bank.
Suits is a horrible example of how the way the legal system works here and pretty much every second episode they’d be in breach of Australian Solicitor practicing guidelines, but you are correct on pretty much every point.

6. It was Castle who gloated to the media about us signing Hasler, NOT Dib.
http://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2017/04/03/hasler_extends_contr.html
If it was only Castle, that makes no difference. A CEO would be assumed to have agency to announce a signing.

It has always been said in legal circles, that a verbal contract is not worth the paper it is written on.
Well yeah because it isn’t written on a piece of paper. However, so many cases have been decided upon verbal agreements that no lawyer would ever tell you that you need it written down to ensure a win.

I outlined the elements Des would need to prove to receive compensation under Equity in an old thread. In that outline I said the hardest thing to prove would be that he turned down over opportunities due to his belief that he had a contract with the Dogs. If he can prove that he did, it looks like a fairly open and shut case. Would anyone like me to link the case law in Australia that establishes remedies for equitable relief? It’s like first year contract law and with the club announcing the resigning to the media this case would be a great teaching example.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly. Who would have offered him a contract while he was thought to have been re signed by us??? More to the point, who would want to sign him after watchingbus play football???!!!!
You're so negative, why are you still talking about Des anyway, he's gone now get over it

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A few cliffnotes:

1. McGirr will lose this one.. they aren't a "big" law firm, and I doubt have enough experience to see this one through. That's why they hauled in John Ireland as a QC to assist with the case.
2. Not sure who our club has representing them, but it's sure to be someone at the top of their field as a QC/SC.
3. They are trying to push it to mediation rather than court.
4. Dogs club have FAR more money than Hasler. They could effectively financially strangle him into taking whatever mediation they propose. They just drag things out and let the $$$$ go up and up and up on Haslers tab with McGirr and Ireland.
5. Their claim is BULLSHIT. The NSW job, the Rabbitohs job, and several other coaching jobs have come up for offer AFTER he was sacked, and it was announced, therefore he COULD have applied for them... except everyone knows he's a massive shitcunt.

6. It was Castle who gloated to the media about us signing Hasler, NOT Dib.
http://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2017/04/03/hasler_extends_contr.html

Dib is NOT a lawyer, nor in legal services. He owns a financial services company.
Sorry invisible - you are not correct. The chairman in many media outlets said it was a done deal. Example Adrian Prozenko SMH article 26th June. Anyway Raelene can only act at direction of board.
The problem still remains--any payment will have an affect on footy dept's cap.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As far as I know, any payments to a coach are not included in the salary cap.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sorry invisible - you are not correct. The chairman in many media outlets said it was a done deal. Example Adrian Prozenko SMH article 26th June. Anyway Raelene can only act at direction of board.
I hear not if the payment is as result of court proceedings...

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It won't have an impact on our cap because firstly it relates to 2017 and the previous cap period, second, coaches are not included in the cap before 2019 and third, it is a damages claim not a salaries claim.

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It won't have an impact on our cap because firstly it relates to 2017 and the previous cap period, second, coaches are not included in the cap before 2019 and third, it is a damages claim not a salaries claim.
No mate let's stick to the facts here. Yes the contract with Des was signed in 2017 but it relates to a 2 year extension being 2018 and 2019. The footy dept cap i understand is starting in 2018. Currently we have to reduce our footy dept soending by abouy $ 2.5million to get under the cap set by NRL. So therefore any payment will mean we have to reduce spending by$ 2.5million plus whatever settlement payment may be reached with Desmond.Now if as you say the coach is not counted until 2019 then this will be a problem in 2019.
It is a damages claim-yes but arising out of non payment of salary to coach- which Desmond would be claiming.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No mate let's stick to the facts here. Yes the contract with Des was signed in 2017 but it relates to a 2 year extension being 2018 and 2019. The footy dept cap i understand is starting in 2018. Currently we have to reduce our footy dept soending by abouy $ 2.5million to get under the cap set by NRL. So therefore any payment will mean we have to reduce spending by$ 2.5million plus whatever settlement payment may be reached with Desmond.Now if as you say the coach is not counted until 2019 then this will be a problem in 2019.
It is a damages claim-yes but arising out of non payment of salary to coach- which Desmond would be claiming.
From what I have been told. Court settlements are the clubs control and wont be included in the respective cap.

Rudster

New Pup
Reaction score
A binding agreement can be verbal in nature. The fact that Dib "repeatedly" gloated to the entire nation that we had locked away Hasler for yet another two years will be enough for Des to win this. I still think it will be settled out of court.

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A binding agreement can be verba. The fact that Dib repeatedly gloated we had locked away Hasler fot another two years will be enough for Des to win this. I still think it will be settled out of court.
100 per cent agree

Status
Not open for further replies.