Des Hasler , can he coach?

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After watching last nights game and seeing Manly get torn a new one by Souths i have my doubts, it also shows what happens when you over pay to keep a top player and they continually get injured.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke at a better club. How do their fans feel?
Silver tails forum is just as much fun as this place after a loss, they are brutally honest about there players also and what they think of des

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very few teams can compete over an extended period with the outs that Manly have. Not defending Hasler but they have a lot of players either injured or unavailable

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He is in the same position now he was with us a few years back. The spine is diabolical at Manly.

No speed around the ruck with Fainu & Trebojevic out.

Added to that, they signed a workhorse toiler J. Trebojevic on huge money which is not necessary for the modern game. They also signed T. Trebojevic on huge money who only plays 10 or 20 percent of games a year.... remind you of anyone he signed at the Bulldogs??

Also Hasler is stubborn and doesn't adapt to rule changes well.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He is in the same position now he was with us a few years back. The spine is diabolical at Manly.

Added to that, they signed a workhorse toiler J. Trebojevic on huge money which is not necessary for the modern game. They also signed T. Trebojevic on huge money who only plays 10 or 20 percent of games a year.... remind you of anyone he signed at the Bulldogs??

I'm a big fan of Jake Turbo but he's been terrible this year. He has a higher skill set than what he's showing but for whatever reason is playing pretty reserved. A little similar to Jackson but on a bigger level.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Your right in away but he had no idea that Turbo would get injured so often, Turbo is young enough to get over his injuries. With Foran he knew before signing him that he was well and truly bustered.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
He can coach no doubt about that. His record prior to the Bulldogs is something. The players at the club were a great batch. When he come to the dogs he had a great team but every year that past the game changed and des didn't ..the last year we had a lame team that was 5 years behind and poorly coached. He is a great man manager and motivator but bad tactically and bad innovator.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've been saying this for years. Des is a myth and hasn't had any success as a coach for the last five or six seasons. His style isn't suited to the faster pace at all. He's too stuck in his ways. Even with Turbo and Fainu out, they still have enough talent to be competitive but they've been horrible this season and Des is the main reason why.

I'm glad to see him failing at Manly after ruining our club for so many years.

Last edited:

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The positive is that it's only taken 2 seasons for Des to DEStroy Manly, it took him a lot longer here.

Des is the guy you bring in before Nathan Brown. Des does the demolition and Brown does the rebuild.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Jake Turbo but he's been terrible this year. He has a higher skill set than what he's showing but for whatever reason is playing pretty reserved. A little similar to Jackson but on a bigger level.
Jurbo looks tired and frustrated this year thats for sure.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yea but you could sign plenty of other players on less coin to do what he does. Trebojevic has been stifled with the new rule changes.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing happened to DVR when he got his big pay day....

Just saying..

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good players make coaches look good and good coaches make good players better - i think Haslers downfall is that he seems to believe that you have three or four stars in key positions - base the team attack around them and fill the rest with "robots" who do the job of defence and run hard - problems arise when he loses the the stars.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yea but you could sign plenty of other players on less coin to do what he does. Trebojevic has been stifled with the new rule changes.
Rule changes and not having his brother in the team have stifled him - still defends well but frustrated in attack.

Ironstine

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As a Manly fan I had reservations about the teams attack when Disco Des came back but it wasn't too bad last year. It was always assumed that the defence would be good under him though and it's now dismal. Most of the ''experts'' on the good old Sea Eagles forum were sure that Api was a dud a while back and now they get to watch the robotic Danny Levi in action instead of Api. No doubt they will be full of more great advice on players now.

Fainu was a massive loss , I reckon he's the type of player you build a team around but we'll have to see what happens. Manly copped their two biggest losses ever under Hasler in his early years but a fair few of those players were around when they won in 2008 but this year has exposed a few plodders who will need to be set free.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
As a Manly fan I had reservations about the teams attack when Disco Des came back but it wasn't too bad last year. It was always assumed that the defence would be good under him though and it's now dismal. Most of the ''experts'' on the good old Sea Eagles forum were sure that Api was a dud a while back and now they get to watch the robotic Danny Levi in action instead of Api. No doubt they will be full of more great advice on players now.

Fainu was a massive loss , I reckon he's the type of player you build a team around but we'll have to see what happens. Manly copped their two biggest losses ever under Hasler in his early years but a fair few of those players were around when they won in 2008 but this year has exposed a few plodders who will need to be set free.
Last year Fainu was definitely the better out of the two. Obviously we know what's happened to him and you've ended up with Levi who imo is worse than Lichaa. The game yesterday you only really had Tom Trbo and Thompson out and if Manly rely that much on an injury prone Tom Trbo then I don't see how you'll ever win a premiership with the salary cap distribution currently at Manly. I think Manly want to be more than a team in or around the eight atm.

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
The rugba leege gods struck des last night the cockhead

Both cookie and latrell 2x players he could of had here 1 kept 1 bred

But they put him to the sword

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
He can coach but a coach is also a psychologist who can wind up his team like a rubber band.
The rubber band is not easy to achieve every week.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will never change has his one style he plays and it’s boring good luck to manly last year they over archived now they will be be playing shit boring football in years to come