Des Hasler’s disputed deal at Bulldogs worth up to $3m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fresh details have emerged of the pay dispute between Canterbury and Des Hasler after court documents revealed the former coach had the potential to earn close to $3 million over the two seasons of his deal with the club.

Hasler and the Bulldogs are currently locked in a legal battle in the NSW Supreme Court after the club sacked him last year, only a matter of months after the parties had signed a heads of agreement on a new two-year deal. That heads of agreement has now become the subject of a legal bunfight that threatens to involve some of the biggest names in rugby league, with Hasler and his legal team arguing that the negotiations over a new deal culminated in a valid and binding agreement with respect to his appointment as head coach for 2018 and 2019.

The parties are due to head back to court this month, having failed to agree on a settlement through mediation. According to a commercial list statement lodged with the NSW Supreme Court earlier this month, the terms and conditions of Hasler’s contract contemplated he be paid $1.2 million by way of salary, entitlements and remuneration each season for 2018 and 2019. Hasler also stood to receive a fully maintained motor vehicle including a petrol card for the life of his deal, as well as team performance bonuses to be calculated and paid by the club on an annual basis.

Furthermore, the club would reimburse Hasler any reasonable expenses and pay him a sum of $100,000 plus GST to compensate for his payment to his agent for negotiating the deal. All told, Hasler’s deal had the potential to push him towards $3 million depending on the club’s performances over the two years he would have been in charge.

The documentation also includes intimate details of the meetings between the parties that led to a heads of agreement being struck between Hasler and the club. The initial meeting took place on April 3 last year at the Pullman Hotel between Hasler, his manager George Mimis, former Bulldogs chair Ray Dib and ex-chief executive Raelene Castle, now the head of Rugby Australia.

At that meeting, Hasler’s legal team argued that Hasler and Dib signed a document entitled heads of agreement. Over the next two days there were further talks between Dib and Mimis before another meeting took place at the club’s headquarters in Belmore on April 5. On that day, Hasler’s legal team say Hasler and Dib signed a further version of the document signed two days earlier.

Hasler argues that heads of agreement signed on April 3 represented a legally binding document. He says the document signed two days later was a valid contract.

The Bulldogs opted to change their path months later as the club laboured, informing Hasler in a letter on September 19 they were repudiating the contract. The Bulldogs have denied the heads of agreement was a legally binding contract.

Hasler’s legal team have subpoenaed coaching contracts at a number of rival clubs, its reasons twofold. It is understood they are seeking clarity over deals involving the likes of Melbourne’s Craig Bellamy and Brisbane’s Wayne Bennett to illustrate what elite coaches are worth on the open market.

They are also seeking contract details around several other coaches as they look to demonstrate that Hasler could have found an alternative position had Canterbury made a decision to sack him earlier in the year. The Dragons and Panthers were among the clubs believed to be pondering whether to retain Paul McGregor and Anthony Griffin when Hasler was in the midst of his coaching turmoil at the Bulldogs.

Hasler has been out of work since parting ways with the Bulldogs late last year, although he recently expressed an interest in coaching the New Zealand national side. Hasler subsequently withdrew from the race for the Kiwis job citing his desire to once again coach in the NRL.

It is understood the parties have attempted to settle the matter but have been unable to find common ground, leaving the courts to sort out a messy saga that could ultimately cost the Bulldogs a seven-figure payout.

The club’s current administration, led by chair Lynne Anderson and chief executive Andrew Hill, were not involved in the talks with Hasler and can take solace in the fact that any payout would likely be covered by the affluent Canterbury League Club. However, the club could also be forced to carry the figure in its football club cap, creating potential restrictions on spending moving forward.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...m/news-story/63b0e1dab9bb07063a160df1f224bebd

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This cancerous Hasler will remain with us long term. I can’t see us getting away from this.

He is however deluded if he thinks he will stroll into another coaching role in the NRL. He has crippled two clubs now, I just can’t see another Club eagerly wanting to get involved with this guy.
Have a death wish if they do, but hey what do we care...Parra sign him lol.

He'd have to be so heavily restrained and barred from being involved in player retention or recruiting, he would be knobbled :grinning:

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wow. It only gets worse it seems. How a coach that crippled the club with delusional recruitment and retention decisions, and only really had one successful season which resulted in a grand final loss offers a 1.2 million dollar contract is beyond me.

And not only that but after 2 poor seasons (some can even say 5 poor seasons) they consider and upgrade followed by terminating him 5 months later before the contract even rolled over. All simply idiotic.

Don’t want to get into a rant again about this contract, the coach and the administrators again. But without a doubt one of the dumbest and most amateur thing I have ever seen in my life.

I think we will go down in history as being over the cap by a bog average team :tearsofjoy: I think it’s 8 players on over 600k and not one would even be the best player at any other club.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He really had rae rae and dib by the balls

Reactions: DT

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I use to believe that the right thing to do was to pay Hasler out (Even though I despise him) BUT after more and more things come to light about how he was running us into the ground I hope he gets nothing and never works again. I can really see us getting fisted on this though and I hope the Club chase Dib and Rae Rae for damages due to the un-professional and negligent handling of this. I don't know how they could include possible bonuses into the issue when we missed the finals in his last year coaching us. Three fukwits, Dib, Rae Rae and Hasler!

Docta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The article reveals that hasler has a weak case for the promissory estoppel argument. It appears he intends to show that several clubs we’re unhappy with their coaches to suggest he would have gotten the call-up. It also appears he had no actual interest from other clubs (which doesn’t surprise me). His claim under this action is VERY far fetched and I would feel comfortable defending this if I was defending the dogs.

His only cause of action now lies on whether the heads of agreement is a legally binding contract. As mentioned in my previous posts, they are usually just an agreement to further agree and/or conditional on entering into a final contract. This fails the certainty of contract test which is required of establish a valid and binding contract.

However, my fear is due to the way the dogs conducted themselves by parading Hasler as their new coach, a judge may find a way to get him up on principle (regardless of the merits of the case).

In any event, I agree his career as an NRL coach is almost certainly over. A payout will be small change for him compared to what he has potentially lost as a career first grade coach (being compared to the likes of Bellamy and Bennet for a long time).

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
just when I thought parra board and club were the joke of the century.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taking the "Everyone Hate Hasler" emotion out of the picture, the fact is an employee turned downed other jobs because he was offered a contract by his current employer at the time. I am not buying into a "heads of agreement" crap that Dib harped on about. Its a Grubby Excuse, from a Grubby Person. We all found out about the contract extension as our Club and Media announced and covered it. Hasler thought he had a Job, we all thought that we had Hasler signed up to end of 2019 and i dare say the courts will think the same. Additionally, as rumoured the current board are trying to facilitate an out of court settlement. This clearly shows that we had some form a legal agreement with Hasler and have to pay some form of settlement.

If you want to point the finger of blame at someone, then point it front, back and side at Ray Dib. He is the never ending nightmare for our club and will be for years to come.

Personally i felt it was definitely time to part way with Hasler, BUT we should have done so last April / May and that way the club would have had to pay out

Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I wonder if hasler is just throwing hand grenades around hoping that the dogs will be scared and give in to him demands

If we are confident our case will stack up in court we should just drag it out as long as possible and drain his money away which
he loves so much

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des will come out with something in the end but I think this will tarnish whatever integrity he has remaining. I mean, really they are seeking other coaches contracts? This will ruffle many feathers or is this a scare tactic, who knows? Also, with other clubs seeing the state the Dog's are in at the moment and what he has done to Manly I doubt he will walk into an NRL coaching role so easily and demand he have full control. You'd be a fool to allow that.

Sure Des should fight for what he believes was a binding contract, who wouldn't under the circumstances but if he doesn't come out of this case a winner and getting what he is seeking then the egg is on his face.

I also think that if the old Board members where still in power we would be in deeper turmoil. The fact that the current board had nothing to do with the negotiations takes the pressure off the club otherwise if the stench was still there i'd hate to imagine the beat up the media would be throwing at us. To remove the old board was the best thing that could've happened.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think there was much interest in him otherwise wouldn't Des have emails or other evidence that clubs wanted him instead of having the subpoena contracts of coaches from rival clubs........

It's not like he had other contracts on the table and choose the Dogs then we sacked him.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I use to believe that the right thing to do was to pay Hasler out (Even though I despise him) BUT after more and more things come to light about how he was running us into the ground I hope he gets nothing and never works again. I can really see us getting fisted on this though and I hope the Club chase Dib and Rae Rae for damages due to the un-professional and negligent handling of this. I don't know how they could include possible bonuses into the issue when we missed the finals in his last year coaching us. Three fukwits, Dib, Rae Rae and Hasler!
The club can't sue Rae Rae she was an employee.
Dib & the board bear the collective responsibility and they can't be sued for doing a poor job either.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Woah woah woah woah woah.. We are all jumping the gun here...

Someone is talking to the media to try and influence this case.. 100%. After the last article surrounding this I think it's obvious who.

after court documents revealed
STOPPED reading after that point because the rest is rubbish ... the court case is currently active and any documentation pertaining to it would be forbidden to be shared outside of the parties involved (i.e cannot be shared with the media), else it could impact the outcome of the case.

Pretty sure @Deathspell will have something to say on that part.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Des will come out with something in the end but I think this will tarnish whatever integrity he has remaining. I mean, really they are seeking other coaches contracts? This will ruffle many feathers or is this a scare tactic, who knows? Also, with other clubs seeing the state the Dog's are in at the moment and what he has done to Manly I doubt he will walk into an NRL coaching role so easily and demand he have full control. You'd be a fool to allow that.

Sure Des should fight for what he believes was a binding contract, who wouldn't under the circumstances but if he doesn't come out of this case a winner and getting what he is seeking then the egg is on his face.

I also think that if the old Board members where still in power we would be in deeper turmoil. The fact that the current board had nothing to do with the negotiations takes the pressure off the club otherwise if the stench was still there i'd hate to imagine the beat up the media would be throwing at us. To remove the old board was the best thing that could've happened.
Des' defence team is providing evidence to the court to support their case and to obviously counter what the club is saying in it's defence, hence the contracts of other coaches.
Nothing wrong or underhand in what they are doing.
Personally I think Des will come out of the proceedings vindicated more than anything.
And with the judgement will be a mile in front tax wise had he collected the money as a wage/salary.
As to his coaching future?
Two time premiership winning coaches will probably get a go again somewhere.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hardest thing to understand is Cleary was readily available to coach!!!!

How did Hasler cuckold our board and CEO so badly. Its a disaster.

The worst thing is we will still be talking about this for another 3 years given how badly this guy has destroyed our club.
The finger of blame should be pointing every which way at Ray Dib.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
The club can't sue Rae Rae she was an employee.
Dib & the board bear the collective responsibility and they can't be sued for doing a poor job either.
I'm an accountant, not a lawyer (so I don't know for sure), but I've previously performed investigations on behalf of companies I've worked for, where they've ended up sueing an ex-employee for damages (for example for misuse of a corporate credit card).

Status
Not open for further replies.