Debate time: Brisbane woman denied barbershop haircut... at men's barbershop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-20/brisbane-woman-turned-away-from-barber-prompts-shock/9462818

Vivien Houston was a regular at Jimmy Rod's Barber Shop in The Gap Village Shopping Centre.

But when she turned up for a trim recently she was turned away because she was female.

Jimmy Rod's managing director James O'Brien said women were not able to have haircuts at the shop because of a new lease agreement he had signed with the local shopping centre management.

"Unfortunately I can't negotiate. That's the centre's rules," he said.

Queensland Civil Liberties Council president Michael Cope said he was amazed this kind of discrimination could happen in 2018, calling it "unbelievable in these modern times".

"You can't refuse to provide a service on the basis of sex."

Mr O'Brien said he was told centre management wanted to prevent competing business for the hairdressing salons in the centre.

Mr Cope, however, said he did not understand the centre management's logic.

"Is it a piece of economics or a piece of morality demanding they do not cut people's hair on the basis of their sex. It is just extraordinary in our times."

He applauded Ms Houston's move to lodge a complaint with the Anti-Discrimination Commission, arguing it was a black and white case that she would win.

It was unclear whether any legal exemptions would apply in this case.

Mr Cope said if the barber shop did cut a woman's hair it would be in technical breach of the lease and would have to argue it was required to break the law because of the unfair contract.

"So that would be a defence to a breach of contract claim," he said.

Hair and Beauty Industry Association chief executive Sandra Campitelli described the competition clause based on gender as "crazy".

"I think the person in this story I feel sorry for is him [the barber]. He signed a lease, it is part of his lease agreement, so that is unfortunate." she said.

"I do not know what he can do about that, given it is a binding lease agreement.

"I would advise any of our member salons to read their leases very carefully and negotiate against that kind of clause in their lease.

"I'd be urging shopping centres to reconsider what they are asking these people to sign."

Ms Campitelli said this was the first time she had heard of a client being turned away because of gender due to a legal clause in a lease.

But she said competition was fierce and the number of barber shops had doubled nationally in the last two years.

She urged the business and the shopping centre to tear up the lease and re-negotiate.

The shopping centre management was contacted for comment.

Ms Houston's story has prompted women from around the country to share their barber experiences on social media.

Gerri McGregor said on Facebook she had the same thing happen to her numerous times when she wanted an undercut from a barber.

"I've gotten the excuse that 'due to lease agreements we can't compete with women's salons' line, but have also been turned away from independent, free-standing, nowhere-near-any-other-business barber shops," she said.

Christine Stirman said she could relate to Ms Houston as something similar had happened to her.

Caitlin Falconer said she had also experienced gender discrimination.

"I've been denied service from a barber in West End and quoted a higher price on a men's style haircut at a Stone's Corner hairdresser because 'it's just what they charge for women'", Ms Falconer said.

But An Mahlou said the complaints were ridiculous.

Emma Filsell said she had no issue with men's-only barbershops.

"As long as they advertise clearly that they are a men's-only barber, what is the issue? Some men are not comfortable with women being present when getting hair treatments," she wrote on Facebook.

"I can't join a female-only gym, how is this any different?" Travis Madden wrote.

"A barber cuts men's hair, hairdressers cut both, not happy with the store go elsewhere, don't cry about it and make a big deal over it because you're offended."

Michelle Wheeler Kop said it was not unusual to have stipulations on lease agreements.

"There are a lot of these agreements with the food industry too. Certain shops can only sell set things," she said.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm not the type to say that this woman is a dyke simply because she has short hair and goes to a barber shop. In fact I have met some really attractive women who have short hair (only some), however what do people think of this?

Obviously it's not the barber shops fault as they have a ridiculous, somewhat bizarre rule in place. If I were a shopping centre owner, I couldn't care what people trade as long as they keep the place tidy, don't cause any damage, and pay the rent on time.

Thoughts?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Honestly the gender based competition rule is a bit stupid but without it the barber would have to pay a higher lease. This makes sense as a barber serving only men is never going to make as much as a hairdresser who serves women. That's why the barbers also sell ridiculously over priced beard products. They need to make money somehow.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I don't understand why this woman can't go to a place like that (now) considering that to begin with she cuts her hair like a man. If it's better for her to pay $20 rather than $60 for the same thing that should be her choice to make.

If on the other hand the barber shop themselves identifies themselves as being a men's barbershop, then I will step in and tell the woman to take a hike - but not in this case.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't understand why this woman can't go to a place like that (now) considering that to begin with she cuts her hair like a man. If it's better for her to pay $20 rather than $60 for the same thing that should be her choice to make.

If on the other hand the barber shop themselves identifies themselves as being a men's barbershop, then I will step in and tell the woman to take a hike - but not in this case.
It's because of the competition clause in their lease. If they cut women's hair then they can be closed down.

It would be a negotiation that happened at the time saying that they'll pay less lease money because they only cut men's hair and men pay a lot less for hair cuts and get their hair cut less often.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Did the barber assume her gender?
LMFAO - good point. Although these days we're heading more along the path of her being one of what was it... 63 odd identified genders?

Wahesh

Reaction score
It's because of the competition clause in their lease. If they cut women's hair then they can be closed down.

It would be a negotiation that happened at the time saying that they'll pay less lease money because they only cut men's hair and men pay a lot less for hair cuts and get their hair cut less often.
That's just my point. If she gets her haircut there and it costs the same as what a man would pay wouldn't that make the clause redundant as they aren't charging her more? What if they charge her the same as they charge a man and aren't making extra money off her? I think it's all unnecessary.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's just my point. If she gets her haircut there and it costs the same as what a man would pay wouldn't that make the clause redundant as they aren't charging her more? What if they charge her the same as they charge a man and aren't making extra money off her? I think it's all unnecessary.
Pretty much. They should just cut her hair and say, "Sorry, thought she was a dude"

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fuck her. She can pay $80 like all the other foolish women.
Paying $20 for a haircut is one of the few advantages men have left. That and peeing standing up.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Wahesh, this story broke a fortnight ago. Pick up your game...

... but seriously, If it truly is because of a lease condition put in by the landlord, then it's dodgy AF. The landlords must have some seriously stupid solicitors (or if they are more stupid, not used them).

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Somewhere realist is rubbing one out saying " yeah take that bitches"

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Fuck her. She can pay $80 like all the other foolish women.
Paying $20 for a haircut is one of the few advantages men have left. That and peeing standing up.
Fuck i don't pay $20 for a haircut...

Status
Not open for further replies.