Dean pay on 2sm

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know he needs to as well. I mean more creating momentum and holes for him to work with. Players like Tolman just don’t do that with their hit ups
Oh I agree I was just adding to your statement.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’d like to see how Lewis goes when our forwards are moving forward instead of sideways and backwards
This..

Doesn't matter if you are JT or Johnsey, if your forward's are being dominated in attack and defence leaving no time or space, you try to force passes etc and make mistakes. I would like to see our halves especially being young and learning have some space created from aggressive hit ups and quick play the balls.

If JMK hits the ground running and delivering clean from dummy half and are forwards bend their backs we will enjoy this year.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This..

Doesn't matter if you are JT or Johnsey, if your forward's are being dominated in attack and defence leaving no time or space, you try to force passes etc and make mistakes. I would like to see our halves especially being young and learning have some space created from aggressive hit ups and quick play the balls.

If JMK hits the ground running and delivering clean from dummy half and are forwards bend their backs we will enjoy this year.
Wakeham will be enormous if this happens.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As a half his job is to create opportunities for the team. Being a great defender shouldn’t lock him in as the guaranteed half.
At this point in time I believe Lewis is the best option in the halves. When your other two halves options are absolute liabilities in defence and put so much pressure on your defensive structures its only logical to go with a strong defensive half who can still attack. Considering the team also struggles to score points because the WHOLE team is average atm its best in my opinion to keep the oppositions points to a minimum.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
At this point in time I believe Lewis is the best option in the halves. When your other two halves options are absolute liabilities in defence and put so much pressure on your defensive structures its only logical to go with a strong defensive half who can still attack. Considering the team also struggles to score points because the WHOLE team is average atm its best in my opinion to keep the oppositions points to a minimum.
This is a flawed way of thinking when you are selecting a half pretty much on defence.

Lewis will have really improved with the ball or we are shot ducks because there will be so much pressure on the other half to provide everything in attack.

Saying the other options are absolute liabilities is defence is a massive stretch too. They defend like your average half does.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is a flawed way of thinking when you are selecting a half pretty much on defence.

Lewis will have really improved with the ball or we are shot ducks because there will be so much pressure on the other half to provide everything in attack.

Saying the other options are absolute liabilities is defence is a massive stretch too. They defend like your average half does.
Its not flawed, its quiet logical at this point in time with the line-up.

Yes Lewis needs to pick his options better but Lewis can and will still attack, his just the better defender.

If Lewis isn't the primary attacking half and the opposition focuses its attention on the other half it will free up Lewis in attack so it works either way.

In regards to the other halves and their defences I'm pretty solid on the fact we cant afford to have average defending halves in the same team because we cant afford to leak points... Just because Cogger and Wakeham are better attacking halves doesn't ensure we will score more points because the team is still average across the park.

At this point in time playing off the back of your defence is the best strategy, you do not leave your walls if u don't have the artillery and numbers.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I caught the last couple of minutes and one thing that concerned me was Pay’s attitude when one of the hosts said we were a like a hard working team of tradies. Pay said that we are the underdogs and will try to stay in the fight.

I’m paraphrasing that so it might be a little different but that defeatist attitude is a major worry for mine. I really hope he is saying that to the media and not the players because you can only get so much motivation from being under dogs.

There is a chance Pay can build on the confidence built from the end of last season but that could be lost if he brings out the excuses again like he has in the past.
If you remember last yr he said something about we cant make the 8 and will try to be competitive for the rest of the season... Im not sure what it was but he was basically saying we are shit and have no chance. I think from that comment on the team went on to win 7-10. Maybe Pay's strategy to get his boys to prove him wrong and to gain complacency from other teams..??

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Excited for this season to start. DWZ and CHN will be players I will watching this year, they will be followed by the team.
both bring enthusiasm and skill to our team. We need a good start this year.
Good luck to the boys for this year.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its not flawed, its quiet logical at this point in time with the line-up.

Yes Lewis needs to pick his options better but Lewis can and will still attack, his just the better defender.

If Lewis isn't the primary attacking half and the opposition focuses its attention on the other half it will free up Lewis in attack so it works either way.

In regards to the other halves and their defences I'm pretty solid on the fact we cant afford to have average defending halves in the same team because we cant afford to leak points... Just because Cogger and Wakeham are better attacking halves doesn't ensure we will score more points because the team is still average across the park.

At this point in time playing off the back of your defence is the best strategy, you do not leave your walls if u don't have the artillery and numbers.
Lewis hasn't shown any improvement in the last 12 months if anything he has regressed.

He has been forcing his hand why too much and taking the wrong options. In his comments he has said he wants to be the primary half so that goes against what you are saying about freeing Lewis up.

You are banking on the defence being like it was at the end of last season and if its not then averaging 3 tries a game will not cut it.

It's not sustainable to be competitive scoring that amount of points I don't care about Lewis' defence the facts are he has to perform with the ball this year.

It looks like he will get first shot and I hope he takes it and makes every post a winner but I'm not confident he will given what we have seen in the last couple of years.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you remember last yr he said something about we cant make the 8 and will try to be competitive for the rest of the season... Im not sure what it was but he was basically saying we are shit and have no chance. I think from that comment on the team went on to win 7-10. Maybe Pay's strategy to get his boys to prove him wrong and to gain complacency from other teams..??
Possibly but saying it before a ball has been kicked is rather concerning.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lewis hasn't shown any improvement in the last 12 months if anything he has regressed.

He has been forcing his hand why too much and taking the wrong options. In his comments he has said he wants to be the primary half so that goes against what you are saying about freeing Lewis up.

You are banking on the defence being like it was at the end of last season and if its not then averaging 3 tries a game will not cut it.

It's not sustainable to be competitive scoring that amount of points I don't care about Lewis' defence the facts are he has to perform with the ball this year.

It looks like he will get first shot and I hope he takes it and makes every post a winner but I'm not confident he will given what we have seen in the last couple of years.
Looks like he will get first shot I luv his defence I know he needs to get better in attack it’s so ordinary. I am hoping this improves with shifty helping him plus more depth in halves this year. Fingers crossed

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

His no Andrew Johns but he can put on a try... Last yr he got dropped in the early rounds which was normal for everyone bar the "specials" and then got injured in Ccup. When he came back he played well enough in a struggling team which put us just outside the finals. From memory his the only one last yr to put in chip for a break and a try and had numerous assists. YES I agree he NEEDS to work on his attack and his decision making which is why I keep saying he should play inside Wakeham or Cogger and let those kids dish out the last pass until he gets, if he gets his shit together.

You cannot say 3 tries isn't enough, proof be told it was last yr and history shows you can win comps with less than 18 points a game so really this whole attack attack attack notion really isn't that important.

We have had this discussion before and really we cant say shiz until we see the Lewis and Wakeham combo.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
His no Andrew Johns but he can put on a try... Last yr he got dropped in the early rounds which was normal for everyone bar the "specials" and then got injured in Ccup. When he came back he played well enough in a struggling team which put us just outside the finals. From memory his the only one last yr to put in chip for a break and a try and had numerous assists. YES I agree he NEEDS to work on his attack and his decision making which is why I keep saying he should play inside Wakeham or Cogger and let those kids dish out the last pass until he gets, if he gets his shit together.

You cannot say 3 tries isn't enough, proof be told it was last yr and history shows you can win comps with less than 18 points a game so really this whole attack attack attack notion really isn't that important.

We have had this discussion before and really we cant say shiz until we see the Lewis and Wakeham combo.
We weren’t just outside the finals we were miles out of the finals. He strung wins together once our defence started to click which was the major factor in the wins. A few try assists and a chip behind the line? I want more then that from a 1st grade half.

Who was the last premier to average three tries a game? How can you say 3 tries was enough for us last year? We didn’t make the finals and our chances were up in flames half way through the year!

I think Pay will stick with Cogger and Lewis and won’t make a change until it’s too late or Foran returns.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We weren’t just outside the finals we were miles out of the finals. He strung wins together once our defence started to click which was the major factor in the wins. A few try assists and a chip behind the line? I want more then that from a 1st grade half.

Who was the last premier to average three tries a game? How can you say 3 tries was enough for us last year? We didn’t make the finals and our chances were up in flames half way through the year!

I think Pay will stick with Cogger and Lewis and won’t make a change until it’s too late or Foran returns.
We weren’t miles out of the finals we were 3 points out. 2 more wins and we would of been top 8. Now we have Dwz for a full season and more experience. We should make the 8 this year

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We weren’t miles out of the finals we were 3 points out. 2 more wins and we would of been top 8. Now we have Dwz for a full season and more experience. We should make the 8 this year
Yes we were. The table lies to some extent as we weren’t a realistic hope of the making the finals half way through the season. Even if we won that Cowboys game we still needed a ridiculous amount of results to go our way which was never going to happen.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes we were. The table lies to some extent as we weren’t a realistic hope of the making the finals half way through the season. Even if we won that Cowboys game we still needed a ridiculous amount of results to go our way which was never going to happen.
Yes but earlier in the year pre-DWZ and with a bunch of players with 10-30 games experience we dropped very winnable games against Manly and Canberra - so with more experience all around, a full season with DWZ and perhaps some good stuff from the likes of Stimson, hopefully we’re not relying on other results to push into the 8 and can earn a spot legitimately.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes but earlier in the year pre-DWZ and with a bunch of players with 10-30 games experience we dropped very winnable games against Manly and Canberra - so with more experience all around, a full season with DWZ and perhaps some good stuff from the likes of Stimson, hopefully we’re not relying on other results to push into the 8 and can earn a spot ligitimately.
I agree that HAS to happen for mine anything less is a complete failure. This playing group and coach have had long enough together now that they should be competitive from Round 1. I don’t know if they have enough talent to make the finals but they cannot be playing for pride by around 15.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

We missed out by two wins, that's pretty close considering we were tipped to be the spooners before and after the season started.

He was the only one to put the attacking chips in, considering his the shittest attacking half what does that say about the better attacking halves who didn't?

"He strung wins together once our defence started to click which was the major factor in the wins." Bud the argument is based on defence and attack and your admitting defence got us those wins and pretty sure Lewis was a MAJOR factor in the defence of those wins.

Doesn't matter how many tries u can score! As long as you can mange 18 points you can dead set win a comp if you can limit your opposition to less.

Grand finals for the last ten years....

2019 - 14- 8
2018 - 21 - 6
2017 - 34 - 6
2016 - 14 - 12
2015 - 17- 16
2014 - I don't know who won that game
2013 - 26 - 18
2012 - 14 - 4
2011 - 24 - 10
2010 - 32 - 8

Can u see a trend? On only one occasion did the losing team score 18 points. I don't know Spoony but that's evidence 3 tries is sufficient considering u convert those tries of course or get a penalty kick or two.

Anyway spoons we shall see what the seasons beholds.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Haven’t seen Lewis make a break so far so can’t judge his pace, unbelievable for a half.