Dean pay on 2sm

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jason Smith was always slow as a mule too. But he could read the game in advance and Lewis isnt that advanced yet and possibly wont ever be the player Smith was. But we can hope he is half the player smith was
Might have to get Lewis smoking 4 packs of smokes a day too for the full Jason Smith effect.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason Smith was always slow as a mule too. But he could read the game in advance and Lewis isnt that advanced yet and possibly wont ever be the player Smith was. But we can hope he is half the player smith was
Yeah J Smith was one of those players with lots of options so defenders hung off a bit. Dymock and even Pay were similar which was the key that made those mid 90's teams so great - great interchange of passing through the middle with Baa and, later, Rocket running off them. Lewis doesn't have those options (yet?), but it looks like he's our half so I hope he finds some improvements, especially in his ability to control games. I was very surprised Lewis was anointed as half so early for this season, but I have to assume Pay is seeing something there, and saw some benefit in giving him that certainty.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Very limited. His done it a few times. Once he got absolutely belted by mataulino and the other times he poked his head through the line and offered an offload. He can break the line but the kid needs to turn it into a habit like Thurston did. Kid needs to start working on his bag of tricks and thus has to be the season for it.
For all his short comings I still prefer he starts with either Cogger or Wakeham.

I can live with his average ball playing and kicking but he should take the line on way more and dig into the line like Foran when he's passing. He's brave when it comes to defense it's time he gets brave in attack.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We missed out by two wins, that's pretty close considering we were tipped to be the spooners before and after the season started.

He was the only one to put the attacking chips in, considering his the shittest attacking half what does that say about the better attacking halves who didn't?

"He strung wins together once our defence started to click which was the major factor in the wins." Bud the argument is based on defence and attack and your admitting defence got us those wins and pretty sure Lewis was a MAJOR factor in the defence of those wins.

Doesn't matter how many tries u can score! As long as you can mange 18 points you can dead set win a comp if you can limit your opposition to less.

Grand finals for the last ten years....

2019 - 14- 8
2018 - 21 - 6
2017 - 34 - 6
2016 - 14 - 12
2015 - 17- 16
2014 - I don't know who won that game
2013 - 26 - 18
2012 - 14 - 4
2011 - 24 - 10
2010 - 32 - 8

Can u see a trend? On only one occasion did the losing team score 18 points. I don't know Spoony but that's evidence 3 tries is sufficient considering u convert those tries of course or get a penalty kick or two.

Anyway spoons we shall see what the seasons beholds.
What you didn't consider is that grandfinals are much like origins in the way they are refereed and the way that the try line is defended.. therefore you theory is flawed..

So 18 points in a GF is like 24 to 30 in regular season..

So I don't think is 18 points a game in regular season will get you into the top 4.. and you cannot win a GF without a top 4 finish..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
S

So that makes 2 holes
No you pair them with a strong defensive player and get your structures right like every other team in the comp does. As long as a half gets their body in front of a tackle it’s fine.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No you pair them with a strong defensive player and get your structures right like every other team in the comp does. As long as a half gets their body in front of a tackle it’s fine.
Mmm like a Lachlan Lewis

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For all his short comings I still prefer he starts with either Cogger or Wakeham.

I can live with his average ball playing and kicking but he should take the line on way more and dig into the line like Foran when he's passing. He's brave when it comes to defense it's time he gets brave in attack.
I'm sure he will get it but I've been saying it for weeks now... Lewis needs to go into first receiver and Wakeham outside him. Lewis distributes and Wakeham ball plays... Its a no brainer in my opinion.

3:25 in... That's how our halves should play all day everyday.

Last edited:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is the one area I dont understand because he doesn't lack courage. I would love to see him take it to the line more.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm sure he will get it but I've been saying it for weeks now... Lewis needs to go into first receiver and Wakeham outside him. Lewis distributes and Wakeham ball plays... Its a no brainer in my opinion.

Cheers for the vid @KLil, gets the blood flowing especially now we are almost out of this brain numbing off season...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is the one area I dont understand because he doesn't lack courage. I would love to see him take it to the line more.
I don’t think it’s being scared of talking on the line it’s just not knowing when to take the line on or when to pass. It all comes back to decision making.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s being scared of talking on the line it’s just not knowing when to take the line on or when to pass. It all comes back to decision making.
Maybe.. But I also think he was less settled or confident about his role with KF in the side. Even though we won a lot of games at the end of last year I reckon Lewis is a confidence player and he clearly likes the spotlight, so he may flourish if he thinks he is the man to lead us around. I hope so.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
His defence is as good as I’ve ever seen for a half. He literally just does not miss 1 on 1, no matter who it is carrying the ball.

There’s some argument to say that he didn’t create enough try’s last year, but it’s gotta be acknowledged how many he saved, and there was plenty.

His long-mid range kicking game is very solid and is understated on this forum. Definitely needs to improve his creativity in the attacking 20 metres but that will come. He’s what 22 years old? He’s developing well and his best years as a half are still a couple of years away. The tools are there, I’m confident he’ll be a success.
Slight exaggeration
I recall him missing a one on one (got stepped) and direct try resulted

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

3:25 in we were getting a penalty kick against us... do you mean 3:30 in ??

TrioBench 1995

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree. But if we look at it this way, he is probably the best defensive half in the comp? Do you agree? I think most will. This being the case,if he can get his attacking plays in order, we have a distinct advantage over most teams. We don't have a week link in defense. Sort of.
Your funny

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
3:25 in we were getting a penalty kick against us... do you mean 3:30 in ??
No actually because see if you were to come in at 3:30 u would miss my point so coming in at 3:25 lets u get ready for it. ;)