Dean Pay - Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
@dogwhisperer do you see where i'm coming from now when i talk about pressure? We come up against another side with little pressure on them and we're not even close. We can't keep bringing that intensity and carefree footy that has overwhelmed the opposition in recent weeks and the cracks show and parts of our game break away.

This isn't a post of me bagging Pay because we lost, but do you see why i have plenty of concerns with our systems and tactical side of our game? Sure different players coming in will change things but i can't help but feel we can easily slip into similar problems as the Raiders where we're relying on overwhelming the opposition with intensity and banking on some high risk plays coming off to get results.

Anyway we have the entire off season to work on this, hopefully we get the right systems in place so we're in a good position to be able to break teams down with plays and a plan we are comfortable in executing rather than just relying on what we're doing now. We have the players with the raw ability to compete for a spot in the 8, they just lack the polish and roles within the team to consistently be where we need them to be.
Yeh, I hear yah bro.
We're not going to know until next year kicks off. I still think we're a long way from making the 8 next year.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foran, Hoppa, Montoya
Frawley, Olive, Montoya
JMK, Hoppa, Montoya
JMK, Holland, Smith
Frawley, Holland, Smith

It doesn’t matter who is on the right as the defence system we use is and has been flawed all season
If there was an issue with the system, you would think itd affect both sides, wouldnt you?
The only time i remember the left was exposed badly was when monty and olive played there vs titans tho

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If there was an issue with the system, you would think itd affect both sides, wouldnt you?
The only time i remember the left was exposed badly was when monty and olive played there vs titans tho
I'm glad Frawley is gone...although Smith didn't have a good game, Frawley made him look shit.
There are still question marks on Holland's defence.
The tries scored against us yesterday were too easy down that right side. Stiffer defence from Holland and Frawley yesterday then we would of had a chance.
Also, it would be interesting to see all NRL stats regarding which sides(as in left or right hand sides of all teams) leak the most points.
Could it be that most players prefer passing right to left, and most attackers like to fend with their right arm while going on the outside of their defender?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No, there is definitely an issue with the system. We were continually caught short and the edge players had to cover so much space while trying to make perfect defensive decisions. Montoya, Hoppa and Foran were also slow as fuck and were never going to be able to cover the space to begin with so this type of system should never have been implemented to begin with.

Yes there's some dumb defensive errors made by some players but the pressure on them was just too high imo. We also shouldn't compare them to the Morris boys, they're probably the best defensive combo and individually some of the best defensive backs in the game.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad Frawley is gone...although Smith didn't have a good game, Frawley made him look shit.
The tries scored against us yesterday were too easy down that right side. Stiffer defence from Holland and Frawley yesterday then we would of had a chance.
Also, it would be interesting to see all NRL stats regarding which sides(as in left or right hand sides of all teams) leak the most points.
Could it be that most players prefer passing right to left, and most attackers like to fend with their right arm while going on the outside of their defender?
Couple of the leading try scorers in last few years have been right wingers tho, like vunivalu and fusitua but what you said makes sense

Last edited:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hopefully Marley’s answer was sufficient enough lol

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
It will probably be different next year with no mozzes. Teams target the side they are not on for obvious reasons, hence the other side letting in more tries

Status
Not open for further replies.