Official Dean Pay extends his contract with the Bulldogs by another 12 months.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can the fans judge a coach over a few games, seriously?!! At least give him a full season or two and allow him to build his own team and culture before judging his ability. Get behind him FFS and give him a fair crack at it.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meh...let's be realistic. There's no good coaches available and we'd need someone of the calibre of Bellamy/Bennett/Seibold to help pull us out of this. This year and next a holding pattern till better players and coaches available. They knocked the gossip on the head...but Dean really needs to start to pick the best players, in their best position and show some tactical and bench rotation nous. His performance has matched the players.
What about them giving dymock a crack. Yes his unproven but if pay has done f all by the end of year why not give another rookie coach a crack who to me looked right at home when coaching those few games he had the chance to.

86Gtown

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Maybee dean wanted us to loose the first 2 games pull the wool over the other clubs eyes. Nek minit they all think we suck and......... we do and keep loosing. Shit superchoach plan didn't work

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who would want to sign for a club when there is instability with the coach. We will have an open cheque book at the end of the year so when a player looks at our club they at least know who their coach is. Smart move I say

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is that another payout if Pay continues to fail to get results?
Perhaps. But you are missing the point.

If the club had not made a decision:
- The noise would have increased after each loss;
- The players would have given up assuming the coach is going to get the sack;
- Dean pay would have given up assuming he is going to get the sack;
- It would be hard for the club to recruit players to the club when there a question marks on who the coach will be in future years.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was going to post the same thing. It’s very much linked to recruitment, the very first question any potential new signing will ask is ‘who is the coach’ , then talk dollars. It’s bloody obvious.

Only concern is the perception that this year is really a right off. It had been discussed at various levels and many of us probably hoped it wouldn’t be this bad, extending him gives this mixed message now, and 2019 really is a mess.
How’s that make sense? Sorry not having a crack at ya but it’s onlt a 12 month extension. How’s that gona work in the players favour if he wants to sign for like 3-4 year contract. This doesn’t make sense atall... not that bloody hard to wait a few months and then see how the team is travelling. As someone mentioned we have some real good players who have also gone backwards this year. Jackson our bloody captain looks to be average under pay. If that doesn’t make things clear I don’t know what does

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is a cap to operate football club. If they sack him, they most probably still have to pay him. What they pay him + the salary of the new coach have to be included under that cap
The coaches wages are covered under the cap for the football club operations of $5.7million and not the $9.1 mill for the playing roster. Pay would not be on anywhere near what a top coach would get and I will bet there is some performance clauses in there, because nobody in the front office would think we are travelling well at the moment or for the last year and a bit. Its smoke and mirrors for stability and nothing else.

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Because the club know better than anyone what a mess pay was given. We could finish the season last and the driving factor would be our lack of experience and being short two or three big name players. Nathan brown is a great example to look at. He was given faith by Newcastle and is starting to build quite a good roster instead of being judged on his early years when he had a shocking roster.
It's a two way street. Absolutely Pay hasn't been given much of a squad to work with, but you can't just blame the players in any team for the way they play. Otherwise what is the point of having a coach? Players also don't pick the team, rotate the bench or choose to be played out of position. With all my head scratching watching us play I was still willing to give Pay a little more time to see what he could do. I just don't think we should have made a decision this quickly.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nothing like the kennel melting down on a friday arvo.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
good to see some old familiar posters post again.....

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Whens the next board elections so we can vote these old dinosaurs out. The board have 1970's values mindset for a 2019 era. Pay coaches like a 1970's coach as well, no wonder he got a deal, Dark times for the club
Are you Football Club Member? If not you won't be voting anybody anywhere.

Go Dogs

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its not only him, its nearly everyone. It seems if you don't whinge and bitch on here then there would be no threads.
As soon as I saw this news I came straight here for a laugh at everyone losing their shit.
Fucking funny
To be fair though, do far there's only a few people going off, I guess it's still early and by tonight this thread will have more replies than a teenage cheerleader's instagram or facebook profile

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The thing I don’t get is why so quick to get him signed up. He isn’t Bellamy or seibold or Bennett. Like no one is going to poach him.

I guess they wanted to give him 9 weeks to see how he goes but if we are 0-9 it’s hard to sign up. So they just did it now just to show faith to the cause.

But to be honest I would have given him 6-10 weeks. If we don’t show any improvement by then, I’d sack him and give J Dymock the care taker role with the opportunity to get an extension for 2020. If pay and dymock continue to get 40+ against them each week start fresh with J Holebrook for 2020.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fair enough with their reasons I suppose so 12 months is smart

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Perhaps. But you are missing the point.

If the club had not made a decision:
- The noise would have increased after each loss;
- The players would have given up assuming the coach is going to get the sack;
- Dean pay would have given up assuming he is going to get the sack;
- It would be hard for the club to recruit players to the club when there a question marks on who the coach will be in future years.
And if we continue to lose it's only going to get worse. Only now people will want the board sacked as well as the coach.